Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - wear becoming noticeable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Has anyone noticed that when these tyres get low on tread, the performance suffers a bit? Mine rears are about 1mm above the wear indicator and I'm noticing wheel spin on even partial throttle openings. I know the roads are a little damp today, but it's not particularly cold @ 7 degrees, and it's something I've had a few times recently.

I drove it all through last winter and didn't notice this scenario so I'm suspecting the tyres.

There might be a slight drop off, but I wouldn't discount the cold temps. That plus rain and I'd be taking it very easy. I think the temp and rain are bigger factors than the wear (based on your 1 year ownership as age is another factor).

Reactions: pow216
. I know the roads are a little damp today, but it's not particularly cold @ 7 degrees, and it's something I've had a few times recently.

That's exactly the kind of temperature where summer tyres lose significant performance. It will have been colder overnight too no doubt. There's no hard cut off but the difference in grip from 25c down to 7c and below will be massive. Surprised you didn't notice last year ... though loss of tread will obviously play its part.

Reactions: jmaddr and Jeeves
As the tread depth decreases, the effect of the reduced flexibility due to cold becomes more pronounced. You likely didn’t notice it last year because there was still enough to keep it above the threshold. The runflats on my BMWs became downright scary in the cold when they were close to needing replacement.

That's the thing - I really didn't notice it last year, and there was a fair amout of right foot usage as I'd just got the car and I was 'discovering' it's performance. Oh well, they are close to being changed anyway so I think I'll put the order in :)

... and don't forget that you guys with the Performance models are potentially asking big big questions of those tyres ... you are basically driving a flippin' supercar ... (even in the snow!) ... on summer tyres :eek: ... the fact that you all stay on the road at all (mostly!) is worthy of some congratulations to all the designers and manufacturers :D

... and don't forget that you guys with the Performance models are potentially asking big big questions of those tyres ... you are basically driving a flippin' supercar ... (even in the snow!) ... on summer tyres :eek: ... the fact that you all stay on the road at all (mostly!) is worthy of some congratulations to all the designers and manufacturers

Absolutely true. I have thought more then a few times about ICE muscle cars with that level of power - they would have been fishtailing all over the road, or in a hedge. The M3P is almost completely stable under full power (with good tyres :))

As the tread depth decreases, the effect of the reduced flexibility due to cold becomes more pronounced. You likely didn’t notice it last year because there was still enough to keep it above the threshold. The runflats on my BMWs became downright scary in the cold when they were close to needing replacement.

This is what I'm noticing. New ones on the way methinks.

Is anyone considering switching to a different tyre model / brand once the existing set are done? Should these cars have more capable tyres considering their performance capabilities or is the general consensus that the Model 3 stock tyres are sufficient worth getting again?

Is anyone considering switching to a different tyre model / brand once the existing set are done? Should these cars have more capable tyres considering their performance capabilities or is the general consensus that the Model 3 stock tyres are sufficient worth getting again?

My original fronts took a hit due to wrong alignment. Almost to the wear bars at 9000 miles, mostly motorway and in chill mode. Considering like for like replacement in the spring.

I've switched to winters on Borbet wheels. Kleber Krisalp HP3. Excellent wear in tests. Very quiet. Made by Michelin. 1000 miles on them so far, good in light rain. Not tested on snow yet.

Lots of other posts in this bailiwick re: replacement tyres. Use the little magnifying glass icon.

Reactions: LEE3
Good call and I'd like to switch tyres, but the Performance model limits choice quite severely.

Probably need to bite the bullet and get different wheels and TPMS as I did.

Second hand 18 inch Aero wheels seen on eBay for about £200 each. tpmswarehouse has good prices. Got my tyres freight free from Germany. Resetting tyre diameter and TPMS is not hard.

Happy new year

Probably need to bite the bullet and get different wheels and TPMS as I did.

Second hand 18 inch Aero wheels seen on eBay for about £200 each. tpmswarehouse has good prices. Got my tyres freight free from Germany. Resetting tyre diameter and TPMS is not hard.

Happy new year

I have considered it, but it's a lease car so I'm reluctant to drop the cash. That said, I'll probably get another one so hmmmm....

There really isn't a better all round 'summer' tyre than the Pilot Sport 4S. But if you mean a tyre that will be better in winter conditions, there are now some ultra high performance all season and winter tyres which do pretty well in the warm too.
There is no such thing as a tyre which excels in all conditions though. Even the best all season tyre won't be as good as a dedicated winter tyre + a dedicated summer tyre.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3noob
There really isn't a better all round 'summer' tyre than the Pilot Sport 4S. But if you mean a tyre that will be better in winter conditions, there are now some ultra high performance all season and winter tyres which.
There is no such thing as a tyre which excels in all conditions though. Even the best all season tyre won't be as good as a dedicated winter tyre + a dedicated summer tyre.

To which can only be added TANSTAAFL and with some effort you can get what you pay for

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
To which can only be added TANSTAAFL and with some effort you can get what you pay for
Yes. There was someone on a FB group thinking of putting £60 Chinese snow tyres on his Model 3 because they were "a good price". If he'd read a couple of reviews on them he'd have seen that they do a good job of trying to kill you when it rains. :rolleyes: Hopefully he didn't actually buy them

Reactions: M3noob