Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus vs Pirelli Sottozero 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’m trying to decide which tire to get for my winter set (I have a summer set). I want something that can handle the warmer days During the spoiler seasons in Colorado but still get me up in the mountains for skiing. Winters are very mild here, so most days during the week will be dry and there will also be a lot of warm days.

Thanks, I'm finding out that the A/S 3 Plus really can't handle the cold in Colorado. I'll be going with either Pirelli Sottozero 3 or the Michelin Alpin PA4. Now I'm curious what peaple think of the two. It seems like the Alpin PA4s have a slight edge in the snow. What I'm really curious about is which will have better tread life.

Ive driven in the front range, and another place with very similar climate. The Sottozero are class competitive with the PA4 - both being performance-oriented winter tires.

I've had multiple pairs of PA4 on different cars but never wore them out, so dont know the ultimate wear rate. But I know they are QUIET and supple , yet firm enough to not be squirmy in the warmer sunny spring days, and particularly at high speeds they are stable (unlike more extreme nordic winter tires).

I’ve tried all 3 tires and the PA4 are the best handling winter tire for wet and dry conditions and wears nicely. I wouldn’t use the AS 3+ tires in snow or ice. I use a dedicated set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 studded for icy days. The Sottozero 3’s were fine in wet and dry, but not as good as the PA4 in the snow. I’m currently on my AS3+ for another month of rainy weather till I swap to my set of PA4 tires and wheels till spring. Doubt I’ll be using the Hakka 9 studded this year as I won’t be headed to the ski hills or do too many mountain pass trips.

I’d throw in Blizzaks... I had them on my VW Golf R when we lived in Colorado Springs for 4yrs, they wore(?) very well with some of the odd warm days and dry days. Just watch the inflation once you dial in the psi you like. Dedicated winter and summer tires are worth every cent.

Tirerack should be running specials soon for winter stuff. I did a tire/wheel combo (went for a taller sidewall for the heavy snow days). They mount/balance and will ship to the house or an installer. Good luck and let us know what you get and your opinion

Attachments

• 48E44B55-D1D5-4652-8840-3CC679A80614.jpeg
    48E44B55-D1D5-4652-8840-3CC679A80614.jpeg
    813 KB · Views: 137
I’ve tried all 3 tires and the PA4 are the best handling winter tire for wet and dry conditions and wears nicely. I wouldn’t use the AS 3+ tires in snow or ice. I use a dedicated set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 studded for icy days. The Sottozero 3’s were fine in wet and dry, but not as good as the PA4 in the snow. I’m currently on my AS3+ for another month of rainy weather till I swap to my set of PA4 tires and wheels till spring. Doubt I’ll be using the Hakka 9 studded this year as I won’t be headed to the ski hills or do too many mountain pass trips.

what about load rating for the PA4’s? Looks like they aren’t adequate?

what about load rating for the PA4’s? Looks like they aren’t adequate?

I’m not on stock sized PA4. I’m using 265/35/19 with load rating of 98 on 19x9.5 Signature forged wheels.

Also, the stock 20” Tesla tires on the Performance 3 have a load rating of 92, so a rating of less than 98 load rating is not an issue unless you stretch out your tires that will drastically cut down the load rating.

Attachments

• 97D3497C-88FC-4486-8628-6EB2C1AE4E39.jpeg
    97D3497C-88FC-4486-8628-6EB2C1AE4E39.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 63
  • A0421CC6-D7CE-4B7D-AF83-9BBCA665EFA6.jpeg
    A0421CC6-D7CE-4B7D-AF83-9BBCA665EFA6.jpeg
    817.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Op, what you're asking for doesn't exist. The AS3+ are great, i run them in the summer. In Quebec that helps me stretch the time without snow tires as 4 seasons are still safe when it gets close to freezing in the morning. For any real snow you need snow tires. No all season tire will be even remotely reasonable. On s ow, summer tires kill you, all season keep you alive for a quick trip in < 1 inch of snow, and snows get you anywhere in snow. Snow tires will never be great in warm days, they'll be squishy, but if it's not too often they won't melt too quickly