Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin pilot Sport a/s 4 VS CrossClimate+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you're in a SR+, you will still have to carry chains and put them on, if it snows more than lightly, in the mountains, correct? If you were in a LR-AWD, with CC+, you could avoid the chains? If the first answer is yes, then why not get the better tire for most of your driving conditions, since you'd have to put on chains if it snowed heavily, either way. And in light snow, just take it easy for those once a year trips.

Actually this is for the stealth performance so it is awd. I was mostly trying to make the impression that the true snow handling was going to be rare and not make it a big factor in my decision making process. As you put it, the issue is what is the better tire for most of my SoCal driving? To me, better is great efficiency and comfort over sport handling. I think CCs tick the comfort box while not sacrificing too much handling. The last issue then is efficiency. Are the CCs more efficient? The $64M question. :)

Actually this is for the stealth performance so it is awd. I was mostly trying to make the impression that the true snow handling was going to be rare and not make it a big factor in my decision making process. As you put it, the issue is what is the better tire for most of my SoCal driving? To me, better is great efficiency and comfort over sport handling. I think CCs tick the comfort box while not sacrificing too much handling. The last issue then is efficiency. Are the CCs more efficient? The $64M question. :)
My bad. I doubt the CC+ is more efficient, but I would guess they are within 5% of OEM tire efficiency.

Well the new “choos” are on. So far my lifetime on the original primacy and my driving style over 3 years / 25K has been 243 Wh/mile. Shall see where we land with these in the next few years and 25K miles.

First ride home impression - I can’t tell a difference in noise or handling. Maybe a slight humm but I could also be imagining it. So far so good.

B8617AE7-8B7B-4842-A25D-CC6E4E8F62A6.jpeg

AD1E346D-DD36-4D53-AB96-FB215355C401.jpeg

Reactions: KenC
I just got 4 235/45R-18 MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2 XL installed they seem a bit more aggressive of a pattern vs the + but so far I don't notice any extra noise and they ride very nice. At $197 a tire Im happy.

So the CC+ is discontinued and the Crossclimate 2 replaces the +. I hate manufacturers using names/models that don’t Google well. Like using the symbol + or = messes up search engines, also Chevy Bolt is a terrible name, if you want to find things about the car you get results for GM 10mm bolts and so on.
Anyway, for some reason the Pilot 4 sport all season was in stock and the crossclimate 2 was 4 days out and more expensive, so I’ll replace the meh factory tesla 18 inch mxm4 with Pilot 4 all season. The cross climate+ and 2 supposedly have better rain and anti-hydroplaning (my most important concern) but I don’t have anything but the crowdshared Google spreadsheet for reference (9.4 vs 9)

About 6 months ago I put 4 235/45R-18 MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE 2 XL on my model 3.

So far we have 4k on them I have to say I really like them a lot seemingly impossible to hydroplane. I would not hesitate to put them on our Y when it needs tires or any other car they are very impressive in traction and ride. I have had TeslaFi on this car for years and I see no measurable reduction in range or watts per mile with these tires. Even if there was it would be a small price to pay for being glued to the pavement in rain. I would also say stopping distance is reduced they are great in an emergency stop like avoiding a deer.

Reactions: android04
Funny enough, I just replaced CrossClimate+ with Pilot Sport A/S. Problem with giving a direct comparison is that I went from 235/45/18 to 265/35/19. The wheel/tire package is 9lbs heavier even though my wheel is only 1lb heavier. On my controlled run, The 235 wide CC+ ran 240wH/mi vs the 265 PS A/S was 270wH/mi. I wish I could be comparing the exact same size for apples to apples.

The PS A/S are Eco rated with lower rolling resistance compound in the middle. I have no idea of exact rolling resistance difference between them, but the PS A/S is definitely quieter. The PS A/S are like riding on glass. Does that equate to lower RR? I don't know.

As for handling, the CC were a big step backwards from my factory PS4. Changing to the PS A/S is almost back to the PS4 but with confidence when weather gets below 40 this winter. As far as the CC in cold, wet, and snow, they were absolutely phenomenal this last winter. I could not have been happier with them. I don't expect it to be as good in the snow, but we only get a few days of snow at a time. Going wider doesn't help in snow.

Reactions: DasTasla