Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perfect just got done ordering them from my tire dealer. Will be getting them installed soon. What PSI do you have the tires currently set to? 42 is default. I am thinking of setting them to be 40psi.

41 seems to works well and what my tire installer that services plenty of Teslas put in. Just tried 42 today and it was a bit bumpy, will set it back to 41. I’d like to bump it up to 42 or a little higher after getting MPP coil-overs installed though. I like the extra steering response and quick off-the-line feel.

I only see the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S "Max Performance Summer" and not "All Season" on TireRack. Also, the Premium Touch is added by default so I'm guessing it is not a selection.

Another thing that comes to mind is that the Michelin tires are higher rated, higher quality, and cheaper compared to the Pirelli P Zero OE tires. So what am I missing here?

Attachments

• michelin_PS4S_Premium.png
    michelin_PS4S_Premium.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 430
I only see the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S "Max Performance Summer" and not "All Season" on TireRack. Also, the Premium Touch is added by default so I'm guessing it is not a selection.

Another thing that comes to mind is that the Michelin tires are higher rated, higher quality, and cheaper compared to the Pirelli P Zero OE tires. So what am I missing here?

those are not the correct tires; these are: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+All+Season+4

apart from the limited edition of their summer tire, PS4S, it seems michelin has stopped marketing the Premium Touch, yet thats what I got on the all season 4 tires.. their newer Cup 2 tires seem to have it as well from what I see on their instagram.

• Informative
Reactions: NaiWiste
those are not the correct tires; these are: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+All+Season+4

apart from the limited edition of their summer tire, PS4S, it seems michelin has stopped marketing the Premium Touch, yet thats what I got on the all season 4 tires.. their newer Cup 2 tires seem to have it as well from what I see on their instagram.

Thanks for the clarification. Any difference that you have seen or heard between the Pilot Sport 4S Max Performance vs the All Season? Also, do the All Season tires have a bigger profile compared to the to the Summer Max Performance?

Sorry for the questions but I am ready to dump the P Zero tires as the ride conditions here are just too harsh on bumpy roads which is 90% of Bay Area streets and highways. California roads are very unforgiving.

Thanks for the clarification. Any difference that you have seen or heard between the Pilot Sport 4S Max Performance vs the All Season? Also, do the All Season tires have a bigger profile compared to the to the Summer Max Performance?

Sorry for the questions but I am ready to dump the P Zero tires as the ride conditions here are just too harsh on bumpy roads which is 90% of Bay Area streets and highways. California roads are very unforgiving.

PS4 tires are max perf. summer which is the same category as the stock PZ tires. Summer tires work great if the temperatures are above 80 deg. typically and have peerless grip and good rain performance too. Once temps are routinely below 40 deg., they become dangerous to drive on, as the tire compounds become harder, somewhat like hockey pucks if it gets cold enough and you’ll lose traction.

All season tires work well into these temps and are also very capable but slightly less so than summer tires at high temps. All seasons also have some light snow traction, have great thread life, better comfort and less noise. Michelin testing at least for PS A/S 3 showed at around 65 deg. the all season tires outperformed the summer tires on a track already. Where I live in Seattle area, the Pilot Sport All Seasons perform so well, there’s no reason for a summer tire or a dedicated winter tire as temps stay mild in winter or summer.

AS4 will improve your ride (maybe 15% improvement?) however they are definitely still firm and will maintain the sporty feel of your car or improve it even; for me these are perfect and what the MYP should have come with, just as the C8 Corvette does (yes, all season tires for the first time).

There could be more comfort-oriented tires, or you might want to explore suspension upgrades such as UP springs/coils or MPP coils which I am also doing.

Alternatively you can change the wheels for 19 or 20” and get the well-reviewed comfort-oriented https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro

This is liable to be an unpopular opinion, but the PS4s are such a good tire that they're overkill on something other than a hard edge sports car. I ran PSSs on a series of sports sedans and the successor PS4s on another car, but I finally came to the realization that I wasn't using more than 4/10ths of the tires' capability, even in canyon drives. And they have such high grip that they can actually make a car feel less playful. While the PSS/PS4 wears pretty well for a summer tire, it's still a trade off in price, tread life, and comfort versus a less aggressive tire. I'm planning to put the Michelin all-seasons (or a comparable tire if it comes out in these sizes) on my Y even though I live in SoCal.

Reactions: frankvb
PS4 tires are max perf. summer which is the same category as the stock PZ tires. Summer tires work great if the temperatures are above 80 deg. typically and have peerless grip and good rain performance too. Once temps are routinely below 40 deg., they become dangerous to drive on, as the tire compounds become harder, somewhat like hockey pucks if it gets cold enough and you’ll lose traction.

All season tires work well into these temps and are also very capable but slightly less so than summer tires at high temps. All seasons also have some light snow traction, have great thread life, better comfort and less noise. Michelin testing at least for PS A/S 3 showed at around 65 deg. the all season tires outperformed the summer tires on a track already. Where I live in Seattle area, the Pilot Sport All Seasons perform so well, there’s no reason for a summer tire or a dedicated winter tire as temps stay mild in winter or summer.

AS4 will improve your ride (maybe 15% improvement?) however they are definitely still firm and will maintain the sporty feel of your car or improve it even; for me these are perfect and what the MYP should have come with, just as the C8 Corvette does (yes, all season tires for the first time).

There could be more comfort-oriented tires, or you might want to explore suspension upgrades such as UP springs/coils or MPP coils which I am also doing.

Alternatively you can change the wheels for 19 or 20” and get the well-reviewed comfort-oriented https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro
How is the ride quality and range?

How is the ride quality and range?

Ride quality especially at 40-41 psi (depending on temp) is very nice, smoother than I expected, yet still properly firm, in control and just perfect steering feel

I don’t have a Wh/mi number that would be useful (saw 345 Wh/mi on tonight’s 30 mile round trip but it’s 40 deg. and raining) but confident it’s a nice improvement from the original summer tires.

41 seems to works well and what my tire installer that services plenty of Teslas put in. Just tried 42 today and it was a bit bumpy, will set it back to 41. I’d like to bump it up to 42 or a little higher after getting MPP coil-overs installed though. I like the extra steering response and quick off-the-line feel.

Just got mine done. Ride quality is excellent and psi was set to 42 and it was still smooth. Way better then PZeros for sure. Thank you for all the help!

I'm completely new to the whole "performance car / tire" thing, so I apologize if this is stupid. After reading this when I read about how dangerous it would be in snow to keep the summer tires on, I ordered the tires listed from TireRack. I had them delivered to the nearest tire shop (NTB) and they arrived today (during a snowstorm). When I called to try to move the appointment up, the manager said their equipment is too old and they don't want to damage my rims. SO...now I have to pick up the tires and get them installed elsewhere. Which finally brings me to my question. Is it ok, or recommended, to have this swap done by Tesla service, and are they going to refuse or give me a hard time about putting "non-standard" width tires on the front? It won't impact the warranty or anything, right ?

I just bought 21" rims. Looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 in the 245/35/21 tires for my 20' MS. I am more about comfortable ride and lower noise than performance. How is the noise and also, how much range will it affect? I have the 19" tempest rims and Goodyear tires now.

@gundarx After a few more weeks what do you think of these tires. Another user in another thread returned them under Michelin’s 60-day return policy due to them being too noisy and inefficient.

Do you have a better feel now for them?
I wonder if it was due to not getting an alignment. It changes enough where if the alignment is out of whack it would cause it to drive in such a way that is inefficient and because of that might make more noise then it needs to.

Need OP to see if they are seeing similar thing and also did you get an alignment?