Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven‘t had any issues of any kind other than not being able to get the smile off of my face 😉 — I reduced the air pressure a bit and now run 39-40 psi at all four corners resulting in a noticeable improvement in ride quality. My sizes, for reference, are 265/40R21 (F) and 295/35R21 (R) so slightly different but not substantially so. For those considering a change, I can’t recommend it enough — prior to purchase/receipt of the MYP, I was stalking the For Sale threads for a set of M3P 20” Ubers however I am sooooo glad I stuck with the 21s and simply up-sized the rubber (thank you @Quorky and @Maximus2002 for giving me the courage) — the outcome is everything I wanted and more. Good luck all.
I loved the look of it for sure. I need to try running lower PSI.
I wonder why some are experiencing rubbing with the 265/40 and some are not.

Also, this thread is the first I've heard of traction control issues, which would be my main concern. On "old school" cars, changing wheels or tires could trigger TC, since the car senses slip by measuring differences in rotation between wheels. If you strayed too far from the stock sizes you could trigger it, as that is what the computer is expecting as zero-slip.
After a day of running the new setup it seems like the TC relearned and I am no longer having any issues. The rubbing from the 40 tire was very minute. Almost to the point where a few weeks of wear would probably have kept it from rubbing.

I loved the look of it for sure. I need to try running lower PSI.

After a day of running the new setup it seems like the TC relearned and I am no longer having any issues. The rubbing from the 40 tire was very minute. Almost to the point where a few weeks of wear would probably have kept it from rubbing.
In a worse case you can throw on a small spacer like...

Can someone educate me why the Pirelli Scorpion A/S 265/40/21 295/35/21 are not being considered? The only difference I see is W speed rating, which is enough. Had them on my Infiniti FX50, pretty decent tire.

Can someone educate me why the Pirelli Scorpion A/S 265/40/21 295/35/21 are not being considered? The only difference I see is W speed rating, which is enough. Had them on my Infiniti FX50, pretty decent tire.
I've run a few different Pirelli A/S tires, that were highly rated at the time (mostly PZero Nero A/S), and found them to be pretty crappy, especially in the winter time. If you look at the Tire Rack ratings, the Scorpion A/S tires are garbage. They are not even in the top 30. You'd have to get the Verde Plus II to crack the top 10, but it's still a couple points behind in each category of the #1 tire in that class, the Michelin Cross Climate 2. The top 2 tires in the UltraHighPerformanceAS, is the DWS-06 Plus and Pilot Sport AS4. That's probably why nobody is considering Pirelli.

I just ordered these for my MYP. I'm in NY and we've been having morning frosts and I've noticed my car feeling a little questionable bringing my son to school and daycare. I was looking into a set of winter wheels but it was a pain to track a set down. Happy I found this thread as even when it snows around here the roads get cleared quickly so I don't do a ton of driving in really bad weather. All seasons should be more than enough.

The only question I have is what should I do with the OEM tires I'm taking off? They have about 3.5k miles on them. I've never swapped tires out before needed so I guess I can try and sell them?

I just ordered these for my MYP. I'm in NY and we've been having morning frosts and I've noticed my car feeling a little questionable bringing my son to school and daycare. I was looking into a set of winter wheels but it was a pain to track a set down. Happy I found this thread as even when it snows around here the roads get cleared quickly so I don't do a ton of driving in really bad weather. All seasons should be more than enough.

The only question I have is what should I do with the OEM tires I'm taking off? They have about 3.5k miles on them. I've never swapped tires out before needed so I guess I can try and sell them?
Great question, I was wondering that too. Unsure if the OEM Pirelli's have any resale value after they're removed. If not, that changes the math when deciding on adding a winter wheel/tire set vs putting AS ties on the Ubers.

The Pzeros are only rated to 45F. Be careful running them as temps drop as they can crack the closer it gets to freezing. As for the used tires, you can resell them in the for sale forum.

Summer tires will turn into hockey pucks below 50F. I've got my fingers crossed that Tesla will start delivering new MYPs with A/S Michelins, but I'm not holding my breath. If it arrives with P-Zeros, I'll be swapping them too.

Reactions: 907XCP
I've run a few different Pirelli A/S tires, that were highly rated at the time (mostly PZero Nero A/S), and found them to be pretty crappy, especially in the winter time. If you look at the Tire Rack ratings, the Scorpion A/S tires are garbage. They are not even in the top 30. You'd have to get the Verde Plus II to crack the top 10, but it's still a couple points behind in each category of the #1 tire in that class, the Michelin Cross Climate 2. The top 2 tires in the UltraHighPerformanceAS, is the DWS-06 Plus and Pilot Sport AS4. That's probably why nobody is considering Pirelli.
Thank you. Actually I was referring to the Verde Plus. For many years I run DWS 06 on my cars, they're excellent, unfortunately not available in sizes needed. Michelin is excellent, but almost cost prohibitive. If it snows heavily, I have a dedicated winter set on my Audi

Where were you able to order from?

In the same boat and waiting for MYP to be delivered after 1/1/2022. I'm leaning toward just getting a new sets of 19" and replace the 21 permanently. I don't think the crappy NJ roads will be too kind to the Ubers. And it should be easier to sell new sets of wheel+tires instead of just the tires. Still debating, but will follow this thread from now on.

The Pzeros are only rated to 45F. Be careful running them as temps drop as they can crack the closer it gets to freezing. As for the used tires, you can resell them in the for sale forum.
I resold mine (very) quickly. My advice: price them appropriately and they’ll sell. All too often it seems like would-be sellers have lofty expectations of value which doesn’t translate into a transaction. In my case, the tires had ~500 miles on them and I sold them for 1/2 price from new (which was my asking price). They were sold in a matter of hours. Having them gone quickly (and in the hands of someone who was going to use them) was more important than a couple extra bucks were I willing to haggle and/or hold out for a higher price. Good luck.

Reactions: mmatlock
I had terrible luck with that... It's even harder with less common sizes... I'm part of a few different enthusiast car boards, so I tried that to widen the audience. After accumulating multiple sets that I couldn't get rid of, I resorted to giving them away... I got rid of two sets that way, where the person only had to pay for shipping... So I used duct tape, and took it to UPS. You may have better luck if you live in a larger metro area with a wider audience to avoid having to ship, as shipping tires is pretty expensive when you have to do it yourself.

I know some mom and pop tire shops buy used tires, you can try that... They won't give you that much, but it's better than nothing.

I resold mine (very) quickly. My advice: price them appropriately and they’ll sell. All too often it seems like would-be sellers have lofty expectations of value which doesn’t translate into a transaction. In my case, the tires had ~500 miles on them and I sold them for 1/2 price from new (which was my asking price). They were sold in a matter of hours. Having them gone quickly (and in the hands of someone who was going to use them) was more important than a couple extra bucks were I willing to haggle and/or hold out for a higher price. Good luck.
Depends on the tire too... I couldn't get rid of a pair of Michelin Energy MXMV4 tires with 500 miles on them unless I gave them away for free (+ shipping), but I was able to sell my runflats with 1500 miles for half price. (Which was good, cus those damn tires are 500 a pop)

For anyone looking for the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 All-Season 285/40ZR21/XL 109Y Tire, Everywhere I called, Tire Rack, Discount, 1010... All out of stock.

I found them in stock at Walmart for a great price, ordered them assuming I would get a backorder. $250.92 a tire ($420 a piece from others). As of today, they are on a truck for delivery.

Wow glad I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. My MYP likely to be delivered in JAN, thought I was being way too go getting by getting tires this early but kind of glad I did. After reading this thread just getting my model X tires replaced with 22” versions of the same tire. Glad I found this thread.

For anyone looking for the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 All-Season 285/40ZR21/XL 109Y Tire, Everywhere I called, Tire Rack, Discount, 1010... All out of stock.

I found them in stock at Walmart for a great price, ordered them assuming I would get a backorder. $250.92 a tire ($420 a piece from others). As of today, they are on a truck for delivery.

Read conflicting reports on the 40, some said 40 rubs but some don't, so that's kind of strange. Please do report back once you have those installed, would be interested in knowing your thoughts on those. Congrats!

Frustrating that Discount Tire lists them "Available now, arrives in 1-5 business days" but I've heard a few posters say they ordered and then received a call from Discount the next day saying they're backordered.