Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 vs Pilot Sport 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am needing to replace my current Michelin Pilot Super Sports on 21" arachnids. I have the 21's and love the look, but not a great fan of the ride or the treadwear. I was able to get ~20k miles of medium to hard driving in Arizona. I am curious if anyone has driven the new Pilot AS4's vs the PS4's. I know from a pure performance perspective the PS4's are the best, but I do not track my car. Are the AS4's smoother/quieter? They have a better treadwear warranty? Thoughts?

Thanks!!

I am needing to replace my current Michelin Pilot Super Sports on 21" arachnids. I have the 21's and love the look, but not a great fan of the ride or the treadwear. I was able to get ~20k miles of medium to hard driving in Arizona. I am curious if anyone has driven the new Pilot AS4's vs the PS4's. I know from a pure performance perspective the PS4's are the best, but I do not track my car. Are the AS4's smoother/quieter? They have a better treadwear warranty? Thoughts?

Thanks!!
I had the same tires on my Lexus GS350.....rode great.....I had 3 sets and all 3 got 33k miles....mostly freeway commute from Irvine to San Jose and back.....expensive tire but rides good....little noise but with radio and a/c not too noticeable

I will try the new Conti's when I get rid of the Goodyear

30,000 mile tread wear on the AS. Pretty quite and OEM. I just installed 4 new ones.
Do you have the 21's? I really am curious about the ride quality between the 4s's and Pilot sport AS4's in the 21" model.

From the Michelin website "6 Years / 45,000 Miles Half mileage for rear if different size than front" vs only 30,000 miles on the PS4's. In reality, anyone with 21" staggered setup has a 15k warranty with the PS4s and 22.5k warranty with the Pilot sport AS4...

Do you have the 21's? I really am curious about the ride quality between the 4s's and Pilot sport AS4's in the 21" model.

From the Michelin website "6 Years / 45,000 Miles Half mileage for rear if different size than front" vs only 30,000 miles on the PS4's. In reality, anyone with 21" staggered setup has a 15k warranty with the PS4s and 22.5k warranty with the Pilot sport AS4...
What did you end up getting? I'm curious because I need to replace mine now too.

What did you end up getting? I'm curious because I need to replace mine now too.
I ended up getting the PS4 all seasons. I needed to be able to drive in occasional snow and cold weather in Northern AZ. That being said, the handling in rain and dry has been excellent. My only complaint is they are definitely a level noisier than the Tesla acoustic products. It makes a big difference based upon road surface, blacktop no problem, rougher concrete they definitely have noticeably increase road noise from the Tesla acoustic PS4’s. I have about 3000 miles on them, so far so good torrential rain, cold weather and they look nice. I just wish they were a little quieter. Certainly not bad enough to take them off, just would’ve loved acoustic version of the same tire.

I had Michelin Pilot Sport tires on my Lexus GS350.....the ride was little noisy but the tire was the perfect tire for that car....I kept proper tire pressure and rotated and balanced every 5,000 miles.......I got 33,000 the first set.....Bought at Goodyear for $1075, mounted and balanced with free nitrogen.....that set got 32,750 miles.....the 3rd set got 33,250....only issue I had was they were noisy, but tracked and rode great.....I currently have Goodyear on my 2020 Model S, 15,250 miles and still look new...rotated every 5k.....forgot to balance them last time .....but tire look great.....tread wear even and no outside or inside wear....my friend is ready for tires on his 2019 Model 3 LR Dual Motor.....dealer wants $2500 for new Michelin's....dont know what I will get when times come...Maybe switch to Conti's

Aside from the noise, how much of a performance drop is there from PS4s to AS4s? I have loved the PS4s but it would be nice to have a little winter confidence if the performance trade-off is minimal.
I’ve had both. The answer depends on the way you drive.
For me, the all-seasons were noisier and didn’t grip as well. I traded out of them long before they wore out.
Others might think the drop off in performance and noise is justified by longer treadwear, but that’s not a trade I’m willing to make.
All of that said, I also have always had winter tires too, so never needed to worry about the PS4’s cold-weather performance…which ain’t great.

Reactions: BlueCarNut
I’ve had both. The answer depends on the way you drive.
For me, the all-seasons were noisier and didn’t grip as well. I traded out of them long before they wore out.
Others might think the drop off in performance and noise is justified by longer treadwear, but that’s not a trade I’m willing to make.
All of that said, I also have always had winter tires too, so never needed to worry about the PS4’s cold-weather performance…which ain’t great.
Thanks for the feedback. Treadwear isn't something I care terribly about, but a notable drop in dry traction would bug me; I was hoping for a negligible drop in dry grip. We tend to have mild winters where I live anyway, so the handful of days where I can't get away with PS4s I'll just drive another vehicle. Thanks.

I have the ps4 AS running on custom 20 signature wheels and they are pretty noisy. Night and day from the stock 19s that came with my plaid in terms of noise. However, they grip well and are much needed for the crap weather here in nj. Aside from the noise they are excellent tires.

Reactions: Gaskinse
PS4S "T0" style are still unavailable. My hands are tied, I need tires ASAP.
Tire Rack lists 3 styles of PS4S: regular, Porsche ("N0") and Tesla ("T0"). Since the latter is unavailable, what's the difference between regular and "N0" PS4S tires? Is one noisier than the other? Also, how does noise with the regular or N0 PS4S compare with AS4 tires? TIA

Tire Rack lists 3 styles of PS4S: regular, Porsche ("N0") and Tesla ("T0"). Since the latter is unavailable, what's the difference between regular and "N0" PS4S tires? Is one noisier than the other? Also, how does noise with the regular or N0 PS4S compare with AS4 tires? TIA
I’d ask Tire Rack

The N0 and T0 indicate that those are OEM modified versions to that OEM's specifications.

I don't know what *all* Tesla does to the T0 versions, but I do know that they have a lower amount of tread on them (like 8/32 instead of 10/32 for some T0 tires).

You certainly won't break your car or be in a dangerous situation with N0 tires, but you'll have tires that were engineered towards specific Porsche design.

There's more detailed info here:

Reactions: Eclipso
I had the pilot sport 4s as stock on 19 with raven model S performance. Changed out to pilot AS4. The pilot sports 4s had surprising good ride and noise and efficiency. Downsides are can’t handle snow and wore out quickly about 16k miles. Changed out to pilot sport as4, mainly to get capability to take car for skiing and better wear. Impressions are slightly noisier, slight worse efficiency (loss of about 8 watt per mile) and haven’t noticed too much drop off in performance. So far appears to be wearing better have about 10k on them now. Due to my needs, overall happy with the AS4 and will get them again. The 4S are a great choice provided you don’t need cold weather performance and okay with so so wear.

I had the pilot sport 4s as stock on 19 with raven model S performance. Changed out to pilot AS4. The pilot sports 4s had surprising good ride and noise and efficiency. Downsides are can’t handle snow and wore out quickly about 16k miles. Changed out to pilot sport as4, mainly to get capability to take car for skiing and better wear. Impressions are slightly noisier, slight worse efficiency (loss of about 8 watt per mile) and haven’t noticed too much drop off in performance. So far appears to be wearing better have about 10k on them now. Due to my needs, overall happy with the AS4 and will get them again. The 4S are a great choice provided you don’t need cold weather performance and okay with so so wear.

I second your comments about the PS4/AS4 comparison. The PS4 is indeed quieter, and it grips better in the conditions it was designed for. I didn't really care for the AS4 by comparison, but I also had a set of winter tires, so the AS4's bad-weather advantage wasn't a factor for me.