Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport AS4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I just got these and put on about 2k miles ago and I really love them. Compared to the Pirellis from Tesla they are far quieter and the wear is for sure better. I have Michelin PSS on my other cars and can say they aren't as grippy but definitely no slouch. I would definitely purchase them again.

Hello, I just got these and put on about 2k miles ago and I really love them. Compared to the Pirellis from Tesla they are far quieter and the wear is for sure better. I have Michelin PSS on my other cars and can say they aren't as grippy but definitely no slouch. I would definitely purchase them again.
Any reduction in range and/or increased battery usage? On the Michelin website this owner said the range reduction was pretty high...

Attachments

• 3C3318D2-2F31-4915-A16A-BD1593C8C302.jpeg
    3C3318D2-2F31-4915-A16A-BD1593C8C302.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 269
MY LR 19" rims with 30,542 mi. OEM tires on back were in clear need of replacement, front could have gone longer (this lines up with other posts speaking to rear wheel bias in normal traction conditions). We replaced the OEM Continental ProContactRX with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 about 3k miles ago (right before we went on road trip to Grand Canyon and back - from Kansas City area). There was minimal range impact for first few hundred miles and would say it is already same (that is, range is impacted far more by driving style, wind, elevation than this tire swap). During the road trip, I was able to exceed previous range with OEM tires by changing to chill mode, driving 60 mph or under, etc. BTW - The only time I had to do this was making the leg from Flagstaff, AZ to Blanding, UT (249 mi). We decided to take that way back to get a different view.

Noise - same or better. I think it is is better, it is definitely different. The OEM tires sounded like you were under water when you hit road bumps (e.g. when you are under water and someone above water is making a banging noise). The new Michelins make same or less noise in terms if dB (to my subjective ear) but it is of shorter duration and of different frequency. This is all subjective but I do think most anyone would find it same or better, not worse.

Handling - slightly better, my guess is winter handling will be vastly improved; however, I do have winter tire package waiting to try out.

Comfort - better.

--

Overall, if you need new tires and currently have the OEM Continental, no hesitation, you have a safe bet with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I had ordered the summer tire version that would likely be even better but they less tread life, cost more, and didn't show up in time. So, I made the switch to the AS and glad I did. They are an improvement over OEM.

Hope this helps in your tire decision making for the MY LR. Take care Tesla friends! : )

To my fellow MY owners are any of you using the

Michelin Pilot Sport AS4? How is your opinion on these tires? Please specify by ware, comfort of ride, quietness and would you purchase them again?​

Thanks
bksalt
Have had 4 sets on my Model S. When it comes time to replace OEM on the Y those will be my first choice. I have yet to log less than 50K miles per set and I am happy with ride, quietness, traction, and handling.

Installed Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 255 /45 R19 104Y XL BSW on Model Y LR AWR 19" wheels.

They fit according to the manual and the same size as Continental stock, but they look like they are too small. The tire slopes inward from the rim. The rims, and the plastic cover sticks out even more than on stock.

Does this look as expected? Do yours look the same?
Is this safe to drive (I never had a car with tires that slope inwards)
Should I switch to wider? 265/45 R19 or 265/40 R19

PXL_20211110_184110624.jpg
PXL_20211110_184208980.jpg

Installed Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 255 /45 R19 104Y XL BSW on Model Y LR AWR 19" wheels.

They fit according to the manual and the same size as Continental stock, but they look like they are too small. The tire slopes inward from the rim. The rims, and the plastic cover sticks out even more than on stock.

View attachment 732019View attachment 732020

I mean no offense at all, but I don't think that looks good. Only my opinion, but I don't like the staggered setup and I don't like the stretched look of the tires on my. MYP, and I'm trying to get away from it (right now looking at 295x21f and 305x21r). Ultimately, if they work for you that's great.

View attachment 732019View attachment 732020
If you put a ruler up from the edge of the wheel (rim), and the top
Of the tread how far away is it? 1/2”, .75”?