Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport EV [tires]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stock tyre for the AWD LR in the UK is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (summer) :) They have the acoustic foam and are designated TO, I.e. Tesla specific. So I’ve swapped a summer tyre for a summer tyre. I also have Goodyear Vector gen 4 all seasons for Nov-Mar.

I imagine anything fitted with the Primacy 4 will will convert to the e primacy at some point. The rolling resistance is better than both the existing primacy and Pilot Sport 4. I will consider the Pilot Sport EV if the rolling resistance is as good.
Pilot Sport AS4s are all-seasons tyres. AS4 = All Season 4
Pilot Sport 4S is the summer tyre.

If this was the case I don't know why they can't just give the people in the US those tires instead of the crappy MXM4.

Last edited:
We get the Pilot Sport 4, as per the attachment. The e primacy is the same wet weather rating but lower roll resistance, also see the other attachment. Pretty pleased so far, not noticed any increase in noise either.

171D27B1-46CD-4887-9755-710CCCD99679.png
80D6AD27-C0D7-47F3-A49D-4D78E9E2F650.png

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki
Interesting. Thanks.
Yeah Tesla fits the Pilot Sport 4 in certain markets with the 18” Aeros. They also sell the wheel package with those same tires in the Tesla shop for anyone to order:

My M3 came with 18" aero wheels fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres.
When new tyres are needed I'll most probable fit Michelin Cross Climate tyres, a "crossover" tyre that is a good summer tyre yet is rated as a winter tyre with a snowflake and mountain on the side wall. I have them on my Morgan Aero Plus 8 and they have been fantastic through the winter. The Morgan has no traction control of other stability aids, so with as much power as the M3 going to the back wheels grip is everything!

... a week old I guess lol?

but in seriousness. These should provide a boost for all EV cars. Maybe not the 10%, manufacturers love to post “the best” result to bolster their claims (literally everyone does this. Just look at Tesla using rollout in the 0-60 claims...), but the technology is valid and should provide gains over any standard summer pilot sport. What gains you see on a model 3? More than none and likely less than 10%. But even a 3-5% boost would be like having aero caps on a performance. Which at present doesn’t exist except for some aftermarket stuff. And only one of the aftermarket options is attractive enough to put on the car (my opinion).

... a week old I guess lol?

but in seriousness. These should provide a boost for all EV cars. Maybe not the 10%, manufacturers love to post “the best” result to bolster their claims (literally everyone does this. Just look at Tesla using rollout in the 0-60 claims...), but the technology is valid and should provide gains over any standard summer pilot sport. What gains you see on a model 3? More than none and likely less than 10%. But even a 3-5% boost would be like having aero caps on a performance. Which at present doesn’t exist except for some aftermarket stuff. And only one of the aftermarket options is attractive enough to put on the car (my opinion).

Tesla uses the 1ft rollout because EVERY MANUFACTURER uses it. Anyone who is an actual car person and didn't become one overnight after they bought a Tesla is well aware of the last 3 decades of 1ft rollout usage.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
But they don’t use it in the LR so the time isn’t closer to the P...

everyone uses numbers to deceive. Even Tesla...

it's not to deceive anyone. the reason companies use the 1ft rollout was based on a variation between the systems used to record the data. There used to be a large variation between measurement hardware from a standing start. However, the variation was minimal starting at the 1 foot mark after a launch, so the manufacturers started using it across the board to compare the vehicles equally. Over the past few decades hardware capabilities have increased which allow for a more accurate measurement, but the existing manufacturers continued to use the 1ft start as it was the de facto industry standard. Tesla is a new car manufacturer as compared to the other companies, so they had access to more accurate equipment from day 1.

So it's not misleading, it's not a lie, and it's not being misconstrued by anyone other than those who don't understand what they're looking at.

it's not to deceive anyone. the reason companies use the 1ft rollout was based on a variation between the systems used to record the data. There used to be a large variation between measurement hardware from a standing start. However, the variation was minimal starting at the 1 foot mark after a launch, so the manufacturers started using it across the board to compare the vehicles equally. Over the past few decades hardware capabilities have increased which allow for a more accurate measurement, but the existing manufacturers continued to use the 1ft start as it was the de facto industry standard. Tesla is a new car manufacturer as compared to the other companies, so they had access to more accurate equipment from day 1.

So it's not misleading, it's not a lie, and it's not being misconstrued by anyone other than those who don't understand what they're looking at.
He's talking about the fact that Tesla uses 1ft rollout for performance model 0-60 times (Plaid, Model 3 Performance, etc), while the standard vehicles (normal S, LR, SR+, etc) have 0-60 times that aren't recorded with rollout. As a result, the gap between the performance and non-performance cars seems larger than it really is. They're disclosing it, but it's still shady marketing unless you read the fine print.

Reactions: Mahamilto
^^^ this

I don’t think this is debatable. Literally every single corporation on the planet would bold face lie in advertising if they could get away with it.

And they do... but use asterisks. Or say “your results may vary”. Or “results not typical” in faint print somewhere.

I’m glad you trust Tesla as much as you do. Reality is Tesla does exactly nothing without thought and purpose. They have 2 trims of model 3, both tested at the same facility, and I have a beyond hard time believing they just randomly decided to advertise excluding rollout on the performance model, but also, without consideration, decided NOT to do the same with the mid-range model.

This was a choice. One someone considered. And it is 100% intended to alter your perception on the two trims. Deception... I mean... sounds like it to me.

He's talking about the fact that Tesla uses 1ft rollout for performance model 0-60 times (Plaid, Model 3 Performance, etc), while the standard vehicles (normal S, LR, SR+, etc) have 0-60 times that aren't recorded with rollout. As a result, the gap between the performance and non-performance cars seems larger than it really is. They're disclosing it, but it's still shady marketing unless you read the fine print.
Did you ever stop to think for a second that for the most part, people that care about performance specs buy those performance models and people that don't care about performance specs, don't buy those performance models.

To be honest, 99.9% of people who claim to be car enthusiasts would have never had any clue about a 1ft rollout measurement UNTIL Tesla started posting it specifically.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyNavy01
Did you ever stop to think for a second that for the most part, people that care about performance specs buy those performance models and people that don't care about performance specs, don't buy those performance models.

To be honest, 99.9% of people who claim to be car enthusiasts would have never had any clue about a 1ft rollout measurement UNTIL Tesla started posting it specifically.
I think you're missing my point here. You're correct in saying that most "enthusiasts" didn't know about rollout before they knew about Tesla, but I don't think that justifies the fact that Tesla uses a different standard of measurement across their lineup to purposely mislead customers. That's like advertising one car's top speed as "300" and another's as "162", then clarifying in fine print that their measurements are 300kmh and 162mph (I'm exaggerating but I hope you get the point).

Sure, people who care about performance specs are more inclined to buy the performance model (and I own a Model 3 Performance), but I'd still take the difference between the 0-60 times into consideration in order to justify the price difference between the two trims. Either measure both with rollout, or both without. It's misleading.

Public Service Announcement:

If there is a statistic or claim quoted with an asterisk its because they are quoting the absolute best result or statistic they can legally quote.

A lot of people look at the performance and long range and are considering some sort of budgetary input. People looking at these models often ask themselves the basic microeconomic question: opportunity cost.
How much more performance am I getting for my money. 4.2 0-60 is already fast. 3.1 is super far fast. But that 1.1s sounds sooooo much bigger than quoting 0.8-0.9 second difference.

The real question is why not use the rollout for both. The simple answer is that then they become much more similar.