Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport EV [tires]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla going to replace the OEM MXM4's with these? That sounds nice 😄

Well found an article from a few days ago about it...

Last edited:
Keep in mind the 275/30/20 PS4S T0 spec runs extremely wide. They are almost equivalent to 295 in width.

@Gimmethecash Same wheel spec as your current setup, but look how much the tire sticks out past the wheel (The front tire will rub on the ABS sensor, and has to relocate them. )

We ran into few other issues with this setup, but also learn a lot from it.
View attachment 682113
I’m tempted to try 275/30/20 non-T0. It’s the same diameter as stock, but 9.8” tread width, right berween my current 9” and the 10.7” T0. Same 10.9” section width. My 255/35/20’s have a slight stretch on my 9.5” wheels.

What other issues am I going to run into?

My factory tires are getting pretty thin. I'm going to need new summer tires in the spring when my snow tires come off. I really like the idea of the pilot sport EV. Fingers crossed the will be available by then.

My factory tires are getting pretty thin. I'm going to need new summer tires in the spring when my snow tires come off. I really like the idea of the pilot sport EV. Fingers crossed the will be available by then.
I have a sleeper performance with the 18" wheels. I am under 20,000 miles and my original tires need to be replaced now as well. I do not want the stock Primacy MXM4 tires again. I have been in a bit of a quandary trying to decide on what to do while trying to wait for the Pilot Sport EV to be available.

A Michelin customer service representative said that the Pilot Sport EV will be available in 255/40R20 in September. Although I haven't seen it specifically mentioned anywhere yet I would expect that the Pilot Sport EV is a dedicated summer performance tire. There is no word yet on when other sizes will be available and what they will be. For right now I am thinking of going with the Cross Climate 2 for original 18" aero wheels and then eventually get lighter weight wheels to go with the Pilot Sport EV tires for the warmer months. I prefer running dedicated summer and winter tires, but I figure for the time being the Cross Climate 2 would be suitable for the amount of snow we get on Long Island and still offers good performance year-round. From what I have read I won't be giving up too much in the dry/summer with the Cross Climate 2 over something like the Pilot Sport All Season 4, while having much better snow traction. I just don't see much of a point in going with Pilot Sport All Season 4 or another type of dedicated summer performance tire AND dedicated snow tire when the Pilot Sport EV tires are around the corner.

Reactions: buddalun
I have a sleeper performance with the 18" wheels. I am under 20,000 miles and my original tires need to be replaced now as well. I do not want the stock Primacy MXM4 tires again. I have been in a bit of a quandary trying to decide on what to do while trying to wait for the Pilot Sport EV to be available.

A Michelin customer service representative said that the Pilot Sport EV will be available in 255/40R20 in September. Although I haven't seen it specifically mentioned anywhere yet I would expect that the Pilot Sport EV is a dedicated summer performance tire. There is no word yet on when other sizes will be available and what they will be. For right now I am thinking of going with the Cross Climate 2 for original 18" aero wheels and then eventually get lighter weight wheels to go with the Pilot Sport EV tires for the warmer months. I prefer running dedicated summer and winter tires, but I figure for the time being the Cross Climate 2 would be suitable for the amount of snow we get on Long Island and still offers good performance year-round. From what I have read I won't be giving up too much in the dry/summer with the Cross Climate 2 over something like the Pilot Sport All Season 4, while having much better snow traction. I just don't see much of a point in going with Pilot Sport All Season 4 or another type of dedicated summer performance tire AND dedicated snow tire when the Pilot Sport EV tires are around the corner.
You should look into the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 or DWS 06 PLUS for the 18" wheels. The traction is much better and so is the price. The Cross Climate 2's are very overrated if you read through the threads on these forums.

When you spoke to the Michelin rep did they indicate that only that one size will be released in the summer or the other sizes will be released as well?

When you spoke to the Michelin rep did they indicate that only that one size will be released in the summer or the other sizes will be released as well?
They only indicated in their e-mail that the 255/40 R20 would be out in September and there was no mention of any other sizes or when we can expect them. I have heard that recently deliveries of the Model Y in China already have them. I know that during the testing of the Pilot Sport EV many of the details, such as range improvements, were benchmarked on a 255/45 R19.

I do hope they offer it in an 18" soon as I would like to utilize a lighter wheel to keep the unsprung weight as low as reasonably possible and have a bit more sidewall as many of the roads here aren't great.

I did some digging through one of their press releases and found this note:

"The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV will be rolled out in the course of 2021 in a choice of 16 sizes (original equipment: 11 sizes / replacement market: 5 sizes) for 18- to 22-inch rims. Twenty-inch MICHELIN Pilot Sport EVs have been type-approved for the new Tesla Model Y which is already marketed in China."

Good news everyone! The USA Michelin site has one Pilot Sport EV size listed on their website!

Look at the new Tesla Model S PREfresh with analog gauges! Pretty cool…😂

These tires were DoA even before they showed up across EMEA. 7 sizes there thus far, all useless for 3 fleet but appear to target Model Ys a bit:

255/45 R19 104W XL (Model Y)
235/45 R20 100V XL
255/40 R20 101V XL (Model Y)
255/45 R20 105W XL GOE
255/35 R21 98W XL (Model Y P)
275/35 R21 103W XL (Model Y P)
255/45 R22 107V XL

Vredestein Hypertrac, Quatrac Pro or Ultrac Vorti depending on use, or similar other brand/model - and never look back.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt