Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport EV [tires]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're one of the few people who has appreciated this. Lots of people on the forum who may be approaching this a bit too literally have not figured this out. In other words, the sizes for the Model Y are being released because there is no TO spec Pilot Sport 4S in those sizes, probably only because Tesla dumped Michelin as standard equipment on their uber-popular crossover for the sorry ass Pirelli P Zeros. I suspect there's some additional refinements to improve rolling resistance in the upcoming EV version of the Pilot Sport but a lot of the improvements such as lowered road noise, wider tread and harder tire crown compounding (to reduce exaggerated crown wear at high inflation pressures and also to pick up some efficiency) are already baked into our TO spec tires including a neglected option that people don't pay much attention to, namely the TO spec 4S 275 / 30 - 20 Tire for staggered setups. It's a fantastic tire . You can get that to fit on the front but you'll have to use a whole lot of negative camber and significant offset change from stock. People who are expecting a big range Boost from this EV Pilot Sport compared to the Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4S are going to be disappointed. I'll be surprised if it's more than 5 - 10 Watt hours per mile difference but I'd be very happy on that point to be proven wrong. But we won't know until the tire is available and somebody does formal testing. But I'm definitely not holding my breath.
Bump because my Pirellis are about half-worn so I’ve been researching tires on US sites, which have very little info on rolling resistance and such.

However, I got the idea to look at the EU tire labels. Seeing the labels makes me conclude there’s no way the T0 PS4S was a beta EV tire.

Here’s the T0 PS4S. You'll see it gets a D in efficiency.

C0C7C0B3-C159-4F62-B0DB-07E057C30A97.png

Here’s the P Zero Elect. It got bumped up to a C, which is likely the reason Tesla adopted Pirellis til now.

12FBFB87-0C86-4EF9-8F3E-4438BAE20643.jpeg

And here’s the Michelin EV tire, which gets an A across the board. You’ll notice it’s a 21” tire because the 20“ tires haven’t released yet.

This efficiency rating is on par with the MXM4. If these government test results are legit, our 20” Überturbines could realistically have the same range as 18” Aero wheels with the caps removed.

D7F06337-3918-4DC0-B6FE-55C9442FCF67.jpeg

I‘m excited, personally. If they launch by the time my Pirellis wear out, I’ll definitely give them a go.

Bump because my Pirellis are about half-worn so I’ve been researching tires on US sites, which have very little info on rolling resistance and such.

However, I got the idea to look at the EU tire labels. Seeing the labels makes me conclude there’s no way the T0 PS4S was a beta EV tire.

Here’s the T0 PS4S. You'll see it gets a D in efficiency.

View attachment 795133

Here’s the P Zero Elect. It got bumped up to a C, which is likely the reason Tesla adopted Pirellis til now.

View attachment 795134

And here’s the Michelin EV tire, which gets an A across the board. You’ll notice it’s a 21” tire because the 20“ tires haven’t released yet.

This efficiency rating is on par with the MXM4. If these government test results are legit, our 20” Überturbines could realistically have the same range as 18” Aero wheels with the caps removed.

View attachment 795137

I‘m excited, personally. If they launch by the time my Pirellis wear out, I’ll definitely give them a go.
Where did you find the labels? I would like to do some research myself on other types of tire

Where did you find the labels? I would like to do some research myself on other types of tire
Those ratings are for Europe, it would be nice if we had those in the US. The bad thing about using them is that some tires are only sold in Europe or North America and you might not find some tires on there. Another bad thing is that sometimes tires sold in Europe and North America might actually be slightly different even if they have the same name.

Those ratings are for Europe, it would be nice if we had those in the US. The bad thing about using them is that some tires are only sold in Europe or North America and you might not find some tires on there. Another bad thing is that sometimes tires sold in Europe and North America might actually be slightly different even if they have the same name.
True, I believe the 19” tires for Model 3 and Y wheels may be different for EU. I couldn’t find US Stiletto or Gemini tires on mytyres. Also couldn’t find the new 2022 21” Michelin PS4 for Model Y Performance.

You can also search the UK website - EPREL Public website and sort by categories.

It's interesting to see the AAA rated tires and how the PS4S ranks as a D in the efficiency class.

Excited for the PS EV line
There is also the PS4 without the S at the end, which ranks a B on efficiency, while being very close to the S version on grip. Comes in Tesla sizes and with acoustic foam too. I've been running these since I got my M3P. Cheaper tire, too!

Reactions: drumma022 and tm1v2