Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport EV Vs Michelin Pilot Sport S4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mazen There is another thread, started six months ago, mentioning that those are still on hold, and I could not find them for sale on TireRack.com.

Last edited:
@mazen There is another thread, started six months ago, mentioning that those are still on hold, and I could not find them for sale on TireRack.com.

They are selling now in Europe (Sweden), i wonder if they have better grip, lifespan, and acoustic than the usual Pilot Sport S4 (they also acoustic), and of course rim protection

It seems the Model Y getting delivered in France are equiped with the Pilot EV.

Some comments on the Tires here (sorry but in French)
In short the tester is very happy about the grip and the suspension and gives some credit to the tires. Not clear if the difference with S4 is important. We should probably start seeing reviews with delieveries ramping up.

What I really want to know is how these compare with the Pilot Sport AS 4 tires.

As much as I want extra range and comfort, grip (especially wet and snow) is my number one priority while delivering decent performance as it affects safety. I'm not in an area where I can justify separate winter tires.

This tire is likely still a great option for people who live in certain weather areas as well as those who use dedicated winter tires.

Reactions: mazen
What I really want to know is how these compare with the Pilot Sport AS 4 tires.

As much as I want extra range and comfort, grip (especially wet and snow) is my number one priority while delivering decent performance as it affects safety. I'm not in an area where I can justify separate winter tires.

This tire is likely still a great option for people who live in certain weather areas as well as those who use dedicated winter tires.
They'll be quite poor compared in the snow to the Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons since the Pilot Sport EVs are Summer Tires.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Spoke with Michelin, as it was time for me to get tires... the EV won't be available for the 21" wheel any time soon in the US.

Went with the AS and am incredibly surprised with how great a tire it is. I was supportive of the Vredestein Quatrac Pro early own, but as miles progressed it was evident this is far too squirmy a tire if you enjoy any form of back road.

Will be eager to see what the EV tire does in the years ahead when these AS need replacing.

Spoke with Michelin, as it was time for me to get tires... the EV won't be available for the 21" wheel any time soon in the US.

Went with the AS and am incredibly surprised with how great a tire it is. I was supportive of the Vredestein Quatrac Pro early own, but as miles progressed it was evident this is far too squirmy a tire if you enjoy any form of back road.

Will be eager to see what the EV tire does in the years ahead when these AS need replacing.

When I bought my car the first thing I did was get rid of the fragile 21" wheels (would not have survived badly maintained DC roads for even a season) and replaced them with 19" wheels and went with Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires (Pilot Sport AS 4 was not available back then). I'm really happy with my decision as the Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires grab and hold the road even for Ludicrous launches in the rain with absolutely no drama.

I just don't think I will buy EV specific tires, especially for a performance oriented car, as I'd gladly give up 10 miles of range for better traction as that translates to better safety. My 3 priorities (in order of importance) when I buy tires are:
  1. Absolute best possible all weather traction.
  2. Absolute best possible all weather traction.
  3. Absolute best possible all weather traction.
:)

Now if I lived in Norway, I'd have a seepage set of winter and summer tires.

BTW I found this interview with the Product Manager of the Michelin Pilot tire program quite interesting.

Is this Michelin AS4? If so, do you have it on 21s by any chance?

I do!

(Ignore the rotor rust... just got a bath)

IMG-3359.jpg

Reactions: jpk195
I have all 4 Michelin pilot sport EV tires on my model S and can report better range than when I had the regular pilot sports.
I have the 85 and charges to 240 at 100 percent so the additional range is a huge improvement.
I was losing a lot of range with the regular pilot sports. I have only used them for a week, but my car is now showing 241 when fully charged to 100 percent.
I will report back when I have had more time with them, but so far I am glad I got them.
24FD114D-ABB3-4BD9-BADE-D8C434E2580C.jpeg
5B878DAB-E8D9-4C77-B2D9-1850B2D4B67B.jpeg
C4EC963F-4B51-4CD2-AEE5-F3144DD6BD82.jpeg
B1D14140-5526-4B41-8C51-F0E8734D931E.jpeg

Reactions: spectrum