Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Super Sport - Opinions Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Michelin rep told me that there would be a shortage which I posted in another thread! I stocked two PS2 265's in the garage in anticipation. He thought that 265/35-21's woud eventually be made in the SS's but later. He could not give me a date.
That's promising
My PS2s are new, so hopefully by the time they're shot, PSSs are available

Ideally though, i'd like 255/275 setup on these rims

A Michelin rep told me that there would be a shortage which I posted in another thread! I stocked two PS2 265's in the garage in anticipation. He thought that 265/35-21's woud eventually be made in the SS's but later. He could not give me a date.
How did you even get a conversation with a Michelin rep? I'm still holding out some small hope the PSS hits the stock 19" sizing. I'll probably swap tires in the spring, but if I knew the PSS was coming I'd wait for it.

How did you even get a conversation with a Michelin rep? I'm still holding out some small hope the PSS hits the stock 19" sizing. I'll probably swap tires in the spring, but if I knew the PSS was coming I'd wait for it.

I still think Tesla's choice of wheel size a bit odd. You'd think they would have selected wheels that the best tire(s) in their chosen category would fit. As it stands almost nothing fits the 21's, even less fit the P85+. Did they get a volume discount on PS2's or something? Why else pick an expensive, outdated tire as OE?

I still think Tesla's choice of wheel size a bit odd. You'd think they would have selected wheels that the best tire(s) in their chosen category would fit. As it stands almost nothing fits the 21's, even less fit the P85+. Did they get a volume discount on PS2's or something? Why else pick an expensive, outdated tire as OE?

Even worse for the Roadster but they could blame that on on Lotus. Wish they would have picked a more common size as well. Hopefully Michelin will work with them.

I called the number on the website, and asked about putting the 245's on a 9.5" wheel. Said probably ok, but only recommended to 9.0.

Tire Questions?

1-866-866-6605

8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (M-F)
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Sat.)
(Eastern Time)
2014 Holidays (Consumer Care): Closed Schedule

Michelin states rim width range is between 8" and 9.5". Price at the moment is $ 299 each (plus shipping, subject to change, etc)

Michelin is offering a 30,000 mile limited wear out warranty when the tire is used in a not staggered fitment ( and 15,000 if used in a staggered setup ).

We don't maintain waiting lists, so either check the website for updates or preorder at your leisure (tires would ship as soon as available).
@Doc
Can you provide a link for pre-order? I tried searching at tirerack.com and I couldn't find Michelin Pilot Super Sport in the 245/35-21 XL flavor.

Thanks!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&tab=Sizes

245/35R21 XL Pilot Super Sports came in today, now available in all of our warehouses !

The tire is not pulling up on our website (at the time of this post), so if you're anxious feel free to call me direct. I'm hoping that the issue will be fixed by this weekend

Last edited:
That's great to hear! Too bad I need a set of 265/35R21 XL. And will probably need another set at the end of this year.... My front 245's still look great. (I own a P85+ and have a staggered setup.)

Is there a SS size that you think will do okay on my 9" wide rear rim? I really don't want to do the PS2, feel like they are a waste of money compared to the SS.

245/35R21 XL Pilot Super Sports came in today, now available in all of our warehouses !

The tire is not pulling up on our website (at the time of this post), so if you're anxious feel free to call me direct. I'm hoping that the issue will be fixed by this weekend

That's great to hear! Too bad I need a set of 265/35R21 XL. And will probably need another set at the end of this year.... My front 245's still look great. (I own a P85+ and have a staggered setup.)

Is there a SS size that you think will do okay on my 9" wide rear rim? I really don't want to do the PS2, feel like they are a waste of money compared to the SS.

I would like to know this as well, as I will also have a P85+ with staggered rims. Or would we be okay also running the 245's on the 265 rims?

The Super Sport 21" are also almost half the price and I thought a better tire on dry and wet pavement anyway. Any reason to consider the PS 2s then?

Nothing I can think of specifically...... Michelin designed the SS to address a couple weaknesses the PS2 has, namely a little weakness in wet traction (compared to the competition) and intermittent issues with the outer tread blocks looking "beat up" compared to the rest of the tire. At this time, Michelin is being very aggressive on pricing to get people's interest up but I'd assume that once the PS2 is discontinued the prices might inch up a little.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to know this as well, as I will also have a P85+ with staggered rims. Or would we be okay also running the 245's on the 265 rims?

The 245/35R21 has a rim width range between 8" and 9.5", and our information indicates the rear wheels on Performance Plus models are 21x9.

Hi Lloyd, did you get some special P+ rears that are 9.5" Mine are 9.0........
21 inch.jpg

Not correct! P+ rears are 9.5" and come with 265 tires rear and 245 tires front in staggard config.

So, The Tire Rack will not tell you to put smaller (245) tires on the rear of your P+ in place of the stock 265s but the 245s are perfectly ok on the stock 9" rim.

I can understand TTR's reluctance to say it is ok.

I really dare anyone (yep, back in first grade... make that double dare) to put 20mm narrower tires on the rear of their P+ and tell me their car now has evil over steer. I'd do it if I needed rears as I plan on using the new tires all the way around on my car as well but I'm at 8K miles and still have tons of tread life.

So what's the best tire for my 19s, considering I won't be driving is cold weather? Looking at the Michelin web site, they rate the the MXM4 with 10 out of 10 in handling and braking, even though it's an all-weather tire. Is it really better than the PS3?

So what's the best tire for my 19s, considering I won't be driving is cold weather? Looking at the Michelin web site, they rate the the MXM4 with 10 out of 10 in handling and braking, even though it's an all-weather tire. Is it really better than the PS3?

Michelin's "10 out of 10" for handling has to be when the Primacy is compared to other all season "Grand Touring" tires. The SS will handle better and brake better, but the difference is mostly evident near the limit of the car's capability (like in a track environment). If you drive "enthusiastically", you will be able to tell the difference and find the SS more responsive under those situations.

- - - Updated - - -

So, The Tire Rack will not tell you to put smaller (245) tires on the rear of your P+ in place of the stock 265s but the 245s are perfectly ok on the stock 9" rim.

I can understand TTR's reluctance to say it is ok.

I really dare anyone (yep, back in first grade... make that double dare) to put 20mm narrower tires on the rear of their P+ and tell me their car now has evil over steer. I'd do it if I needed rears as I plan on using the new tires all the way around on my car as well but I'm at 8K miles and still have tons of tread life.

I would have to defer to Tesla before running a "square" set up on the P+ factory wheels, as stretching the 245 on the slightly wider wheel would change its diameter (ever so slightly). I can't say if the car would be sensitive enough to be upset or not by this change. We have recommended a square setup for the P+ car with our winter wheel and tire packages, but we use the same 19x8.5" wheels on all four corners.

I'll admit I'm splitting hairs here, but hopefully all can appreciate our position.

Last edited:
Michelin's "10 out of 10" for handling has to be when the Primacy is compared to other all season "Grand Touring" tires. The SS will handle better and brake better, but the difference is mostly evident near the limit of the car's capability (like in a track environment). If you drive "enthusiastically", you will be able to tell the difference and find the SS more responsive under those situations.

Is it? They make it as confusing as possible. For the ratings, they say "Performance ratings are calculated by Michelin on a scale from 1 to 10 and are relective of the various tire lines' strengths within the overall Michelin portfolio." From that, one would probably decide that the ratings are relative within the entire Michelin portfolio, not within a given class. If that were the case, you'd expect the luxury summers (the lowest performing in the summer category) to have low ratings relative to the the better tires in the all-season line, but that's not the case (with the exception of the MXM4). Still, I think we can all agree that the MXM4s do not outperform the PS3s, just that Michelin's ratings are crap and not to be trusted.

To the poster's question, unfortunately, the SS you mention doesn't fit the 19"s unless you use non-stock sizing.

To the poster's question, unfortunately, the SS you mention doesn't fit the 19"s unless you use non-stock sizing.

Yeah, I see that. And the PS3 is quite expensive. $359 each on Tire Rack. I'm kind of torn, because I would like a tire that lasts longer than the Goodyears, and I probably don't really need ultra high performance tire, but I really don't need an all-season tire.

I burned through my stock Goodyears in only 9500 miles! But I did take it to one autocross, and I don't intend to do that again. The quick wear may also have had something to do with my commute, which is all city streets, so lots of turns per mile.