Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Super Sport - Opinions Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I burned through my stock Goodyears in only 9500 miles! But I did take it to one autocross, and I don't intend to do that again.
That's pretty quick for the goodyears. Did you have toe/alignment issues?

I did some heavy and multiple autocross on my original 21 Continentals and they lasted 8500. I needed an alignment was part of it.

Is it? They make it as confusing as possible. For the ratings, they say "Performance ratings are calculated by Michelin on a scale from 1 to 10 and are relective of the various tire lines' strengths within the overall Michelin portfolio."

I think the trick here is "relective of the various tire lines' strengths". They are using "tire lines" to mean "tire classes".

Do you think we can get away with 275 35R21 on the rear of a P85+? If so, maybe we should get the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT found here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R1SMGTXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

- - - Updated - - -

Okay check out the attached, this is for all you P85+ rear tire folks, including myself..

Dunlop makes a SP Sport Maxx GT with 10/32nd tread depth and almost identical revs per mile, slightly taller 275 x 35% = 3.5mm which is about 1/8" taller of a tire. Load range is XL, fits on a 9-11" rim, section width is almost less than half an inch wider. Revs per mile is only 3!! Perfect to not mess with speedometer.

Unknown: weight difference and rolling resistance comparison.

EDIT: Weight: PS2 = 25.4LBS, Dunlop 275 according to TireRack: 31LBS... Not sure how credible the weight is but assuming this tire is slightly wider I could see it weighing an extra few pounds.

No data on rolling resistance, has anyone researched that?

See chart.

2014-01-31_17-48-49.jpg

I have an appointment scheduled for next, next Saturday (2/15) with Discount Tire to get Michelin Pilot Super Sport installed. My current Continentals were 4/32" a few days ago. My mission for the next week is to "get my money's worth" out of the Continentals. ;)

Total out the door is ~ $1,400.

Yeah, I see that. And the PS3 is quite expensive. $359 each on Tire Rack. I'm kind of torn, because I would like a tire that lasts longer than the Goodyears, and I probably don't really need ultra high performance tire, but I really don't need an all-season tire.

I burned through my stock Goodyears in only 9500 miles! But I did take it to one autocross, and I don't intend to do that again. The quick wear may also have had something to do with my commute, which is all city streets, so lots of turns per mile.

I'm in the same boat. I've put on 13K on my OEM Goodyears and getting close to needing at least two new tires (I don't know why my rear tires, which were rotated from rear to front at 6k miles and then back to rear at 12k miles, have worn more than the front. I just had the alignment checked and nothing was out of spec.) I'd like to get something that will last longer than the Goodyears.

I'm looking for recommendations give than I live in the SF Bay Area (oddly enough, it is raining today, but that's a rarity of late), don't push the car to its limits, and have 19" stock rims?

I have an appointment scheduled for next, next Saturday (2/15) with Discount Tire to get Michelin Pilot Super Sport installed. My current Continentals were 4/32" a few days ago. My mission for the next week is to "get my money's worth" out of the Continentals. ;)

Total out the door is ~ $1,400.
Had to reschedule; they were installed today.

I can already tell that new Michelin Pilot Super Sport are louder than old OEM Continentals. Not surprising, but immediately observable.

Had to reschedule; they were installed today.

I can already tell that new Michelin Pilot Super Sport are louder than old OEM Continentals. Not surprising, but immediately observable.

Are they better in the rain? (Hard to tell in normal driving maybe). I'll be putting the 21" rims back on soon but still have plenty of tread on the Conti tires.

The Michelins have a compound designed for longer tread lifetime. They are generally louder in part because of this. At least that's my understanding.
Well, bummer. I wasn't expecting that and I've already paid the non-refundable deposit to have the tires shipped to the installer.

When I was asking about other tires, the Service Center said one guy had bought brand new non-Tesla approved tires and then came into the SC to replace them with Contis because they were horrendously noisy. Hopefully it wasn't the Pilot Super Sports!