Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Super Sport - Opinions Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another poster has commented that his/her initial impressions were that range DECREASED with PSS. They later followed up confirming a change of approximately 30 WHr/mile with the PSS.
Yep, that's me, though it was +30-40 Wh/mile relative to the Contis, not the PS2s.
So, Milieage is improved
The PSS are rated at 30,000 miles (vs. the Conti's 20k), which is part of the reason I decided to go with them since tires are expensive I figured a longer life would be good.

Note though, that's mileage gotten out of the tires, not efficiency.

Last edited:
Yep, that's me, though it was +30-40 Wh/mile relative to the Contis, not the PS2s.
I'm getting a little confused with some contradicting info in this thread
So you got crazy increase in wh/m by going PSS
However,
PSS has better mileage than PS2 (per Michelin or MT, etc), and TM claims PS2 are 6-12miles better than regular 21s
This, to me, sounds like PSS > PS2 > Conties
Now, the variable still remains - size
But still... PSS should be a lot better than other 21 inch options

PS2 vs PSS by Motortrend

Testing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Motor Trend All Pages

Michelin's in-house testing, performed at the Michelin Technology Center, helped identify six key areas in which the Michelin Pilot Super Sport outperforms its predecessor, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:
  • Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.
  • Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.
  • Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.
  • Braking on wet roads: When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by 3 meters.
  • Total mileage on the track: 50% more laps.
  • Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance.

So, Milieage is improved

I think you may be misinterpreting: This means that the tire has less wear, i.e. last 10% more miles. It does say anything about rolling resistance!

Given that they don't mention rolling efficiency in their list you can safely assume that it's at most equal, but probably worse. A tire that has better grip, like the PSS, is stickier and thus LESS efficient. Grip and efficiency are contradictory design targets of a tire.

I guess i misinterpreted this
But, 20K vs 30K Mich warranty is not exactly 10% difference
50% claim of live increase is far from MT test then
Unless they're talking efficiency
:)
Yea, but they quote 50% more mileage on the track (vs 10% on the road) and there's no way it's 50% more efficient on the track.

The PSS might be better than the PS2 on efficiency as well, but it certainly seems worse than the Contis. Which was a surprise to me since I figured the Contis would be stickier and less efficient given their 20k warranty.

Yea, but they quote 50% more mileage on the track (vs 10% on the road) and there's no way it's 50% more efficient on the track.

The PSS might be better than the PS2 on efficiency as well, but it certainly seems worse than the Contis. Which was a surprise to me since I figured the Contis would be stickier and less efficient given their 20k warranty.
You're probably right
Just seems odd for 10%
I wonder how they tested this
Track is easy, tires get shredded in no time, but did they actually do 20K on the road...

What PPS sized did you try?

I dug through the Consumer Reports tire ratings for rolling resistance and found the following:

Pilot Super Sport - Good
Conti Extreme Contact DW - Good (2010), Very Good (now)
Pilot Sport PS2 - Very Good
Michelin Primacy MXV4 - Excellent

So at least among these tires the PSS is the worst.

I just had new Michelin PSS installed on my P85+. I have 245/35ZR21 on all 4 wheels. The energy consumption appears the same, but I haven't had a chance to drive it far enough to confirm this. The ride is better and quieter. The speedometer reads 60 mph and my gps indicates 58 to 59 mph. I will check with the SC to see if it can be re-calibrated. I haven't had an opportunity to push it to handling limits.

When I had tank mode installed, the SC reported my rear Pilot Sport 2 tires were 4/32. I have driven about 400 additional mi since then. They didn't look like they were at replacement depth. I asked the installer to measure the tread depth. They were 5/32. I could have probably gone another 4000 mi. I had 11,300 mi on the Pilot Sport 2. I should have rechecked the tread before I ordered new tires.

Currently I have no regrets about my new tires.

Please put some more time on them and, if possible, run a route you are familiar with from an energy consumption standpoint. Feedback like yours from owners means a lot. I suspect we will soon see an avalanche of owners moving from Conti or PS2 to PSS. Enough P+ owners making the change will drive stocking the 265 rears as well. This could be VERY good for MS owners.