TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by EMDoc, May 17, 2016.

1. EMDoc

EMDoc Member

Hi all -

Anyone use Pilot Supersports in a 285/30/21 for the rear on a staggered P85+ setup?

Was looking for alternatives to the Ps2 and this seemed to work. Hankook Evo2 don't meet the weight rating and Discount tire not willing to put them on the car.

Thanks!!

2. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

That's pretty dumb of the tire shop.

Michelin: 100Y = 1,764 lbs/tire
    Hankook: 98Y = 1,653 lbs/tire

Even the heaviest Model S will be no more than 2,500 lbs on the rear axle, or 1,250 lbs per tire.

I had discount tire install Hankook tires on my P85+ and they never mentioned the load rating. Maybe go to another discount tire store?

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Someone posted in another thread that the supersports will be out in the proper 265 size 'mid summer'. So if you can wait until August for tires, then I would wait for those.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

And the 19s?

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I would hope so.... The previous poster said that they were selling already in Europe. Perhaps someone there can advise us which new Tesla sizes in supersports we can expect to see here this summer?

6. CzTom

CzTom Member

The Michelin specs state than minimum wheel width for the 285/30R-21 size is 9.5", so it's probably not a good idea to try to squeeze those onto the stock 9" wide rims.

7. EMDoc

EMDoc Member

Thank you all for the advice and help.
    I thought about going to a different Discount Tire as well but the one down the street has worked on many Model S's.

Also heard about the Pilot Super Sports coming out this Summer. I wonder if I can temporarily put the 245/35/21 Conti DW that came with the car onto the rear 9" rims? That might work until the PSS come out? Only thing is I don't want the profile to be any lower at the risk of damaging the rims.

Thanks again all!

8. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

I emailed Michelin about the staggered 21" fitment (245/35/r21 front and 265/35/21 rear) yesterday and got this reply.

"Thank you for your email and your interest in the Pilot Super Sport tires.

We do show a plan to launch both sizes in the PSS for Tesla later this year and a date for these tires will be announced as soon as it is available. You are welcome to check back with us periodically or with your local Tesla dealer (they may be able to provide you with a more accurate timeline once they launch) for availability"

I didnt ask about the 19" however the 255/45/19 are listed as currently available and only 1.1% larger then the stock 19 wheels at 28" vs 27.7" on the stock 245 tires

9. marty2112

marty2112 Member

I was told that all new S orders w/ 21" will now come with staggered PSSs. Already saw a couple of cars in Fremont with this setup... IMG_2179.JPG IMG_2181.JPG IMG_2183.JPG

• Informative x 1
  10. Tech_Guy

Dam... if I had known when I placed my order I would have gotten the 21's :(

11. tstafford

tstafford Member

That's bad ass.

12. Tech_Guy

I asked my local SC and Delivery location and they said the cars that came in yesterday still had PS2's they didnt know about the switch yet, but would keep an eye out for me.

13. Evee

Evee Member

annndd i just bought the ps2's a month ago.

14. Tech_Guy

Well don't kick yourself to hard, they aren't suppose to be available till later this year. Id bet tesla got the first batch to test and that's why my friends at the SC haven't seen any come in on P90D's

15. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

I had PSS tires on my previous car and really liked them. However make sure you never travel on snow ever... I am in South Carolina which doesn't really snow... However on the rare days that it does... PSS has 0 traction. Just getting out of my driveway was a lot of work and the car would just slip on the street. So make sure you don't drive your PSS tires to any potential snow conditions.

16. Tech_Guy

That makes sense, its listed as a Summer Tire and they are designed for dry and wet conditions only. I've had summer tires on my car for a few years now and have been very happy with them in dry and wet conditions. I agree the rubber and tread pattern is not designed for winter driving temps nor would I suggest trying to drive in those conditions!

17. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

How is the noise level? I have the Conti silent 21s and they perform OK but very quiet.

18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Those are some nice tires!

19. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

The Pilot Super Sports are up on The Tire Rack in Model S 21" staggered sizing. They're not cheap and not yet showing a shipping date.

Screenshot 2016-06-13 16.59.39.png

• Love x 1
  20. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

What is interesting is that these Super Sports are built to Tesla specs (TO Tesla). I am wondering what modifications did they do for Tesla? Reduced rolling resistance?