Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Primacy 18" tires shot @ less than 10K miles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stretched my original MXM4 on the AWD to 19,000 by careful rotation and taking the front down to 2/32" and the rears right down to a shadow of tread left.
I have 9,500 miles on my MXM4s, and I just measured the tread depth which varies from just under to just over 5/32". I rotated my tires once at 5,000 miles and the treadwear is very even on all four. Since the tires start at 8/32" of tread, it seems likely that my tires are wearing at about the same rate as yours. Because I need to drive it in unexpected thunderstorms at any time, I will replace the tires when they get down around 3/32" of tread, so I'll probably only get another 5 to 6 thousand miles out of them, and have to replace them at about 15,000 miles.

What I'd really like to do is get a set of the wheels that Tesla puts on the Chinese Model 3 Performance cars. They are 19" with aero caps, weigh only about a pound more than the 18" aeros, and are at least as efficient as the 18s. Then, since I run winter tires during the winter anyway, I'd get a more summer oriented tire for the 19s, maybe the PS4S.

I wore mine down to 2/32 in about 12k miles. I don't blame the tires at all. I don't think any tire could have held up to the "spirited driving" I subjected them to. I hear this is pretty common for enthusiastic new Tesla owners. I just got a new set put on this week and I am going to try to have more restraint this time, so I expect them to last a lot longer.

It sounds like a heavy lithium foot.

The Tesla specific 235/45-18 tires have the least amount of tread to start with, at 8/32", of any of the Primacy MXM4 tires according to the specs on Tirerack. There's two other MXMs that have 8.5/32", and a few other sizes at 9/32", but most sizes are either 9.5/32" or 10/32". So, the Tesla specific 18" tires are starting off with less tread.

Personally, I'm not impressed with the MXM4s. Their handling in the dry and wet is okay, but nothing special, on ice or snow they're very poor, and I don't think they're particularly quiet. I know SammichLover has been pretty happy with the Michelin PS4S tires on his car, with it sounds like about 50% better tread life. The PS4S tires do handle much, much better than the MXM4s. Maybe Sammich can chime in on the efficiency and sound PS4S vs. MXM4.

I have the PS4S now and yes, they are pretty quiet and perform well in the dry.
BUT they are a summer-only tire, and they must not be used under 20ºF.

I plan on driving to the snow often this winter, so I need an all-season tire.
The three sets of MXM4 tires I had on the P85D performed very well in all conditions including -24ºC (-11ºF) ice & snow.

The three sets of MXM4 tires I had on the P85D performed very well in all conditions including -24ºC (-11ºF) ice & snow.

FWIW the Michelin A/S3 will perform very very close to the PS4S while also being an all season tire. It's not awesome in snow specifically (nothing is but a dedicated winter tire) but it'll be worlds safer than the PS4S (and probably better in nearly every situation than the MXM4)

I have 9,500 miles on my MXM4s, and I just measured the tread depth which varies from just under to just over 5/32". I rotated my tires once at 5,000 miles and the treadwear is very even on all four. Since the tires start at 8/32" of tread, it seems likely that my tires are wearing at about the same rate as yours. Because I need to drive it in unexpected thunderstorms at any time, I will replace the tires when they get down around 3/32" of tread, so I'll probably only get another 5 to 6 thousand miles out of them, and have to replace them at about 15,000 miles.

What I'd really like to do is get a set of the wheels that Tesla puts on the Chinese Model 3 Performance cars. They are 19" with aero caps, weigh only about a pound more than the 18" aeros, and are at least as efficient as the 18s. Then, since I run winter tires during the winter anyway, I'd get a more summer oriented tire for the 19s, maybe the PS4S.

I am holding off on deciding on what to do for summer tires next year to see if Tesla will release the Chinese market 19" Aeros into the US market.... a little worried though about ride quality going to a 19" wheel.

Yes, taking PS4S tires into the snow and ice is definitely not a good idea. For your usage, and assuming that you don't want to switch to a second set of tires and wheels for snow trips, an all season tire is probably your best bet.

I've driven quite a few different all season tires in ice and snow and in my experience MXM4s are among the worst. It sounds like the best performing all season tires out there now, that will work on a Model 3 with 18" wheels, are probably Vredstein Quatrac 5 and Michelin Cross Climate+. I don't have any personal experience with them, so this is based on people I've talked to and the reviews on Tirerack and elsewhere.

Of the all seasons that I've driven, I was most impressed with the Continental DWS. They work great in the dry and wet, and hold up better than most in snow and ice. They're still not close to a true winter tire, but they work reasonably well if you keep your speed down and don't come across something like black ice on a hill. I'd pack chains when going to the snow if I were you, just in case.

Of the all seasons that I've driven, I was most impressed with the Continental DWS. They work great in the dry and wet, and hold up better than most in snow and ice. They're still not close to a true winter tire, but they work reasonably well if you keep your speed down and don't come across something like black ice on a hill. I'd pack chains when going to the snow if I were you, just in case.

The only all season tire option at my local Les Schwab tire center for the model 3 AWD is Continental ExtremeContact DWS6. It seems to have good reviews. I think maybe I will try that. Our MX got Continental CrossContact and they are still running strong after 25k miles.

I am holding off on deciding on what to do for summer tires next year to see if Tesla will release the Chinese market 19" Aeros into the US market.... a little worried though about ride quality going to a 19" wheel.
We need to put together a group buy on the Chinese Aeros. :)

I've driven or ridden in a few Model 3s with the 19" wheels, and noticed little, if any, difference in ride. Of course, everyone has different perceptions when it comes to ride, so I think this is a good excuse for you to test drive a Model 3 with the 19s and see for yourself. The steering seemed a little bit more responsive with the 19s, but I don't know how much of that was due to the lower profile tires and how much was due to the Continentals versus the Michelins.

My Primacies got me through 10 months, including a winter.

The only reason they didn't go back on my car this winter (two were 3/32 and 2 were 2/32) is because I intentionally thrashed them before putting my summer set on earlier this year.

For this winter, I've switched to Nokians.

I had 19” MXM4 tires on my S for several years and loved them. Each set lasted over 20k miles and I wasn’t driving like a grandma, either (lifetime consumption was over 360Wh/mi). The P85D is much heavier and has much more power & torque than the 3, so it’s not like it was gentle on the tires.

Now that I finally received 18” aero wheels from Fast Wheels, I am considering buying the MXM4 again and ditching the 20” combo that came with my car.

Any reasons why I should not go with the MXM4s?

In your area, the MXM4's are probably fine.

All-season tires are known for being adequate in many different conditions, but not overly great in any of them.

Hey fellas. Im new here and probably resurrecting an old thread. I have a 18 lr rwd with the oem Michelin’s on with shy of 30k miles. I am looking for new tires but torn between two choices. I’m from LA and American tire depot has a buy 3 get one tire sale. Sadly Michelin isn’t Included so I’m stuck between the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS or Continental extreme contact dws. Inputs and other recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

I’m looking for better performance compared to stock while also trying to get the most tread life out of my new tires

I've been running DWS06 for the last 8k miles. They are noticeably noisier than the OEM MXM4s at all speeds (low to mid freq. rumble) and the ride is a bit less smooth. Steering response is much better and even observable in a slow lane change. Energy consumption has been about 5% worse.

Check the Tire rack reviews for the Potenza. I remember they did poorly for fuel economy.

Last edited:
Sounds like in addition to less energy consumption, better lane centering and less nerves, riding on NOA/autopilot might save money on tires too LOL.

I actually think the opposite. When running on AP, especially with traffic light detection turned on, the car is a lot more jerky than when I do it myself. I’ve always hated how the car wants to charge up to a red light and hammer the brakes.

Ive got a little over 12000 miles on mine and they still look new. Had them rotated at 7000 miles and will do it again at 14000 that's what my Tesla service guy said to do I am going to follow his instructions. For 35 bucks its with Worth every penny.

Just replaced my factory tires after 29,000 miles. Can't complain with my driving style, My rears always lost 1/32nd or so faster than the fronts at each rotation.

New set of Michelin Driveguards mounted at Costco this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing how these compare as they wear. So far they seem to ride better than I was expecting, and they're noticeably quieter.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    852.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0857.jpeg
    IMG_0857.jpeg
    835.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 52