Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Primacy 18" tires shot @ less than 10K miles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
I had my winter tires put on this week and DT showed me that the rear tires on my car were only @ 3/32 and probably should be replaced.

Car has 9314 miles and had dedicated winter tires on for four months last winter season.

Has anyone approached Tesla about a warranty claim on the tires? I've heard of only getting "one season" of ultra high performance tires on very high torque RWD cars but I've never seen tire wear this fast on a sedan.

FWIW, Michelin says its tire warranty does apply to OEM tires:

Not quite...they stopped offering that after 2017 model years

Tire Warranty | Michelin

original equipment tires for 2011-2017 model years, are covered by a limited mileage warranty for treadwear, as well as a limited warranty which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first.

FWIW I've got over 13k on my MXM4s at about half their life based on tread depth- but mines an AWD so much more even tire wear

So I talked to local tire retailer and they had me call Michelin and open a claim. They warned me that they have handled two other Model 3 tire claims and that in both cases Michelin only offered credit of $20-$25 a tire towards new Michelin tires.

Better than a sharp stick in the eye but not much.

I opened case with Michelin and they wouldn't commit to any dollar figure saying that it would be pro-rated based on cost of the tires, and wear measurements they need from the shop.

So next I will need to take the tires back to the shop, have them take measurements and submit to Michelin on the case that's been started.

In the meantime at least my Bridgestone winter tires are in decent shape.

My driving is almost all stop/go commuting in a suburban area but I definitely don't rocket away from every stop light. I'm a bit shocked that these have warn out so fast and might have to move to something high performance if I'm going to burn through them this fast anyways.

I wore mine down to 2/32 in about 12k miles. I don't blame the tires at all. I don't think any tire could have held up to the "spirited driving" I subjected them to. I hear this is pretty common for enthusiastic new Tesla owners. I just got a new set put on this week and I am going to try to have more restraint this time, so I expect them to last a lot longer.

Not surprising. My friend is down to 1/32 on some of her tires after only 22K miles. I will say she drives like a crazy b..er... woman. I've posted about some of the struggles of replacement with longer lasting tires here: Recommended tires M3 Long Range, RWD . The Bridgestone Ecopia's I had on my Leaf only lasted 20K miles as well. I wonder if the extra weight of EV's wears the tires faster?

Wow, some of you guys are having too much fun. Either that or there are some issues with batches of the OEM tires.

I'm at 4.5/32 and 5/32 with regular rotations and 37K miles on the LR RWD. Will probably get to ~50K easily.

Most miles are from my wife, who drives conservatively. I like to punch it, but almost never from standstill.

Wow, some of you guys are having too much fun. Either that or there are some issues with batches of the OEM tires.

I'm at 4.5/32 and 5/32 with regular rotations and 37K miles on the LR RWD. Will probably get to ~50K easily.

Most miles are from my wife, who drives conservatively. I like to punch it, but almost never from standstill.

That's impressive indeed. My guess mostly highway miles with little stop and go? My wife is driving LR AWD and tires are wearing out a lot quicker compared to when i drove it. She gets better efficiency due to stop and go traffic but it is wearing out tires much faster compared to my commute.

@voip-ninja - Let us know how it turns out, getting under 10k miles is a sham. Before in my Sedan i was getting 35-45K miles no problem per cheap tire set. Here now i am hoping to get to 25k miles with taking it easy.

Reactions: C141medic
That's impressive indeed. My guess mostly highway miles with little stop and go? My wife is driving LR AWD and tires are wearing out a lot quicker compared to when i drove it. She gets better efficiency due to stop and go traffic but it is wearing out tires much faster compared to my commute.

Yes, mostly Autopilot highway miles, heavy traffic (ok, not exactly LA traffic) on the trip home generally. I've kept tires around 43-44psi cold, and religiously rotated ~7500 miles. Makes sense that the more you have to start from stop, the greater the wear.

• Informative
Reactions: boriszima
  • Helpful
Reactions: brianman
I’m at 5/32 and have had the car since new July 2019. 4857 miles. I stopped by discount tire today. Manager told me to drive them another 1k or so and come back. He thinks once it gets to 4/32 they can warranty all 4. He thinks I’ll get close to 100% replacement (mine are Continental 19’s)

He suggested Yokohama tires which are like $40 less per tire. I need to research what to get.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
That changed at some point. Cars produced before some point in 2018 (I have 06/2018) have door stickers that recommend 45psi cold, which I found a touch too rough. Don't know exactly if there was any consensus on why the recommendation was changed.
Odd that they wouldn't update the manual.

The manual I linked is labelled 2019.36.1 and for all OEM tires says 42 psi with the following...
Increase tire pressure to 44 PSI (300 kPa) prior to driving 136 mph (220 kph) or faster.
… for the 20" and 19".

Mine lasted 18000. So did my neighbor’s
He got his 12/17 and mine is 1/18. Bought replacement oem at discount tire, matched Costco price and will honor 45,000 mile warentee. Want me to rebalance and rotate every 3000, don’t care what Tesla says( it’s free service). When I was getting my replacements, 4 other model 3s getting tires too.

Odd that they wouldn't update the manual.

The manual I linked is labelled 2019.36.1 and for all OEM tires says 42 psi with the following...

… for the 20" and 19".

I really am not sure what's best practice and what most folks are doing now. I remember at the time it was changed, there was a sentiment (that I suppose I adopted) that it was best to just follow whatever your car's jamb sticker recommended. I would guess the recommendation was based around improving ride quality more than anything else, but as my experience (and yes it's only one data point) suggests, there's certainly no adverse effect on tire tread life by going slightly higher than 42.