Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin PS AS4 275/35/20 on inductions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dennisis

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Tucson
I'm going to need new tires soon due to wear and possible need to drive in snow, currently have the OEM Goodyear's. I'd really like something to give the rims a little protection so a wider tire. I'm pretty locked in on the Michelin PS AS4's given all the good reviews I've seen and warranty. I've run several sizes on the Discount tire site and the sweet spot for cost seems to be the 275/35/20's - has anyone tried this size? I looked at the 265/40/20's first but for some reason they're $100's more for each so saving $400 would be nice. Their config tool indicates 265/45/20's don't fit, though I've read here people have them. The 275's are .8" wider and the sidewall is .2" less diameter than the stock 255's. Comments/thoughts?

What about 255/45-20? I saw some pictures of the Cross Climate 2 in that size, and it looked to be less stretched than the OEM 255/40-20. If all you're looking for is rim protection, going to 275 isn't going to offer much unless you barely rub the curb at almost 180 degrees... If you hit the curb at any other angle, you will still gouge the wheel... I had experience with a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in a 275/40 on an 9.5" wheel that clipped a curb in a parking garage to know.

What about 255/45-20? I saw some pictures of the Cross Climate 2 in that size, and it looked to be less stretched than the OEM 255/40-20. If all you're looking for is rim protection, going to 275 isn't going to offer much unless you barely rub the curb at almost 180 degrees... If you hit the curb at any other angle, you will still gouge the wheel... I had experience with a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in a 275/40 on an 9.5" wheel that clipped a curb in a parking garage to know.
I’ll check that out thanks.

Ok so that's an inch taller overall and 7 lbs heavier than the OEM Goodyears. You think the extra height would give me added protection? more than the added width?

Ok so that's an inch taller overall and 7 lbs heavier than the OEM Goodyears. You think the extra height would give me added protection? more than the added width?
I said it looked better than OEM, I didn't say anything about "protection". It looked better because it looks less stretched... I mentioned that if your goal is "rim protection", that is a fallacy, because flexible sidewall will not protect you from a hard curb if you hit it at anything more than 180 degrees. The sidewall will just deform and the curb will still make contact with the wheel. I've done that before with a 275/40 tire on a 9.5" wheel. Also if you're going to compare weights, compare the weight of the Pilot Sport A/S in the two sizes. Don't compare to the Goodyear. The Eagle F1 A/S is actually a pretty crappy tire compared to the Pilot Sport A/S.

Here is a picture of the Cross Climate 2 in 255/45-20 that someone posted.
20211015_133530-jpg.722106

I said it looked better than OEM, I didn't say anything about "protection". It looked better because it looks less stretched... I mentioned that if your goal is "rim protection", that is a fallacy, because flexible sidewall will not protect you from a hard curb if you hit it at anything more than 180 degrees. The sidewall will just deform and the curb will still make contact with the wheel. I've done that before with a 275/40 tire on a 9.5" wheel. Also if you're going to compare weights, compare the weight of the Pilot Sport A/S in the two sizes. Don't compare to the Goodyear. The Eagle F1 A/S is actually a pretty crappy tire compared to the Pilot Sport A/S.

Here is a picture of the Cross Climate 2 in 255/45-20 that someone posted.
20211015_133530-jpg.722106
Got it, thanks for the input. I'm not that worried about dinging the rims really as after the first two times I've learned to be more careful, just a consideration now. Having decided on the AS4's it's just down to size. I'll ask Discount about the 45's as their online config tool doesn't show those fit but obviously they do. Appreciate the help!