Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Summer tires or All Seasons (aero wheels) effect on Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model 3 and I feel the tires get squirrley when rapidly accelerating or when taking curves. I love the range of Michelin MXM4 but its traction is meh. I am considering changing my tires to Michelin Super Sport 4S or the Pilot sport A/S 3+. How much of an effect (percentage wise) on the range do you think I will take if I choose either one of the these tires? I have the aero 18" and will keep the aero covers on.

As I responded to your identical thread over on M3OC:

Your tires are still brand new. All brand new tires are ‘greasy’ at first. Absolutely normal. Run the correct pressures set in the morning when the tires are cold. You will find that the tires will improve considerably after the first 1000kms or so and continue to improve over the next few thousand. Give them a chance as they will definitely be quieter than the replacements your looking at as well as perform better in the wet and at lower ambient temperatures. If max summer performance is your thing and you don’t care about faster tread wear and noise then go for sticky summers.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
As I responded to your identical thread over on M3OC:

Your tires are still brand new. All brand new tires are ‘greasy’ at first. Absolutely normal. Run the correct pressures set in the morning when the tires are cold. You will find that the tires will improve considerably after the first 1000kms or so and continue to improve over the next few thousand. Give them a chance as they will definitely be quieter than the replacements your looking at as well as perform better in the wet and at lower ambient temperatures. If max summer performance is your thing and you don’t care about faster tread wear and noise then go for sticky summers.
As of now I have over 2000 miles on it, my tire pressures are 47-49 depending on temp (we've had variable Am temps) but my previous car was a bmw 335i that had pilot sports. I loved the handling of that car but I feel the model 3 is better. The car, I feel, just needs stickier tires to really take advantage of its well designed chassis. I appreciate your response but I feel we are entering uncharted territory in regards to balancing great handling and efficiency in out EVs. I think someone needs to do some tests to look at tires looking at their effieciency and their handling ability. Tire rack, in their reviews, have been testing efficiency comparisons and handling/brakeing stats which is helpful but still not complete.

Reactions: Ferdball
potential side detour, I just noticed the original MXM4 18" only has 8/32 thread new? is this normal? and after only 2 months and 2000 miles the rear is already down to 6/32
While our MS got the Goodyear eagle touring 19" started with 9/32 new and now after 15,000 miles I still have 6/32.

I'm very curious to hear about your experience. I am planning on putting Michelin 4S on my 19" stilettos, and getting a 18" set of EVWheels turbines for snow tires. I don't really need as much range as the LR has, so sacrificing a few percent is ok with me. I am a bit more concerned about tire noise. The 4S gets very good reviews in terms of road noise relative to other performance tires, but I wonder how it compares to an eco-focused tire.

Ran Pilot SuperSports on my previous high performance car (Dodge Viper). Was a fantastic tire for that application. Even hard track use was no problem for those tires.

They are expensive, but give good wear in higher performance applications.

They did get pretty loud as they wore down thought.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61