Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Super Sport Acoustic or Contisilent for 21"staggered wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm running 21" wheels with staggered set up and I'm in need of new tires. Has anyone tried the Super Sport Acoustic Tires for this set up? And if anyone has used both the Contisilent tires and the Super Sport Acoustic, I would love to hear what, if any, difference there is. Up here in Canada there is a backlog on the Super Sports and no information on a production date (according to Michelin USA/Canada). I see Tirerack might have some available.

Appreciate your feedback

The Michi's are loud as heck. I have run Hankooks, which handle really well, but are loud. No louder that Michi's, IMO. I am now at the point of trying the Silents. They are 2X the price, which I hate. But the car is just too loud for my taste. So I will give them a try.

Tire Rack has the Super Sports back in-stock. Just ordered mine from them and had the SC mount them this week. From a performance standpoint, you can't beat the Super Sport.

This is from the Test Report:
"When the Michelin Pilot Super Sport debuted in 2011, it essentially changed the expectations of what a Max Performance Summer tire could be. Since that time, it has participated in three Tire Rack Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive evaluations, and it has emerged as the top choice in all three. Simultaneously it ascended to the number one position in our consumer ratings and reviews and has remained there ever since. Needless to say, it has become the benchmark by which all other Max Performance Summer tires are judged."

Three Against One in Max Performance Summer. Will the Newest Tires Dethrone the Long-Time Champion?
Clash of the Titans: Testing Two New Max Performance Summer Heavy Hitters
Continental ExtremeContact DW vs. Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack

Hi,

I'm running 21" wheels with staggered set up and I'm in need of new tires. Has anyone tried the Super Sport Acoustic Tires for this set up? And if anyone has used both the Contisilent tires and the Super Sport Acoustic, I would love to hear what, if any, difference there is. Up here in Canada there is a backlog on the Super Sports and no information on a production date (according to Michelin USA/Canada). I see Tirerack might have some available.

Appreciate your feedback

I have run Michelins SSP and Continentals, both with acoustic foam inside. Michelins are hands down better tires all around: much better performance, longer lasting and quiter than Continentals.

My strong recommendation is to go with Michelin SSP acoustic.

Reactions: DIL and JohnnyG
Thanks for the replies. It looks like the Super Sport Acoustic have been on back order here in Canada for a while and won't be available for quite a while. I will probably get the regular Super Sport as I understand the difference in sound level might not be that big after all. If anyone has tried both the Regular and the Acoustic and did notice a difference, please chime in.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the Super Sport Acoustic have been on back order here in Canada for a while and won't be available for quite a while. I will probably get the regular Super Sport as I understand the difference in sound level might not be that big after all. If anyone has tried both the Regular and the Acoustic and did notice a difference, please chime in.

I've tried both regular SSP and Acoustic SSP. The Acoustic are noticeably quieter, but I would not call the difference drastic.

Just an update to this thread. I ordered a set of the Super Sport Acoustic from Tirerack and had them mounted a couple of weeks ago. I really like the way they feel and I don't know if it's psychological, but they seem a little quieter than my worn out Pirellis. So far I'm very happy with the tires. Now we'll see how long they last.......

Just an update to this thread. I ordered a set of the Super Sport Acoustic from Tirerack and had them mounted a couple of weeks ago. I really like the way they feel and I don't know if it's psychological, but they seem a little quieter than my worn out Pirellis. So far I'm very happy with the tires. Now we'll see how long they last.......

So glad to hear this. I have had the Continental Conti-Acoustics on my S85D and my S100D’s and am going to take your cue and try the Michelin’s this go around. Looks like it’s the consensus on TireRack as well and better treadwear:

Thanks for keeping us updated:

1AACC7C6-9B2B-4865-AF40-B77262933428.png
87339A68-4925-4F85-90B2-23793FD93D50.png

Hi,

Appreciate your feedback

All of the tests (including my own a while ago) indicate that the foam makes very little difference in the cabin tire noise. It's a gimmick to enable the manufacturers to charge a lot more money for a few bucks worth of foam lining. So save your money and skip the foam tires.