Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Treadwear Warranty - documentation required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really prefer to rotate my own tires, even if it's free. Does anyone know how adamant Michelin is about this stupid documentation?

https://www.michelinman.com/on/dema...-replacement-tires-owners-manual-warranty.pdf

Page 4, point 7:
For treadwear replacement claims, documents showing that your tires have been rotated and inspected every 6,000-8,000 miles (10,000- 12,000 km) or as specified by your vehicle manufacturer, whichever rotation period is less, and the Mounting and Rotation Service Record found on pages 23-25 of this Owner’s Manual has been fully completed and signed.

I don't even get the point - wouldn't it be fairly obvious if I'm not rotating my tires by how they're wearing?

Additionally, I'm planning on running MXM4s for the winter months/long-distance driving & PS4Ss for summer months. Without taking it to Costco every time I wanna swap my damn wheels, how do I prove to Michelin how many miles are on each set? Not only that, but they won't touch aftermarket stuff (from what they've told me) so there won't even be a mileage to associate my new PS4S tires with, period - I'll be handing the wheels over as a loose set.

So am I hosed when it comes to treadwear warranty? This is unfortunate... I'm at 4.5K miles and my MXM4s are already down to 5/32. :cool:

I really prefer to rotate my own tires, even if it's free. Does anyone know how adamant Michelin is about this stupid documentation?

https://www.michelinman.com/on/dema...-replacement-tires-owners-manual-warranty.pdf

Page 4, point 7:

I don't even get the point - wouldn't it be fairly obvious if I'm not rotating my tires by how they're wearing?

Additionally, I'm planning on running MXM4s for the winter months/long-distance driving & PS4Ss for summer months. Without taking it to Costco every time I wanna swap my damn wheels, how do I prove to Michelin how many miles are on each set? Not only that, but they won't touch aftermarket stuff (from what they've told me) so there won't even be a mileage to associate my new PS4S tires with, period - I'll be handing the wheels over as a loose set.

So am I hosed when it comes to treadwear warranty? This is unfortunate... I'm at 4.5K miles and my MXM4s are already down to 5/32. :cool:
pay costco to rotate at 8000 miles then, for all they know it's the only time

yes they would be a stickler about it

It depends on your state too. That said, if you document the mileage, date and time you did the change you've likely got a claim that would hold up. That said they know that litigating is more difficult for you than it is for them.

My suggestion would be take a photograph with the embedded timestamp when you do it and I think you'd have a fair shot at them agreeing you properly rotated the tires. And even tread wear should help support that.

I rotate my own tires but I also keep a spreadsheet with date, miles, etc. of all maintenance on my cars. Either by someone else or me. I have never had any warranty issue questions about my spreadsheet.

It depends on your state too. That said, if you document the mileage, date and time you did the change you've likely got a claim that would hold up. That said they know that litigating is more difficult for you than it is for them.

My suggestion would be take a photograph with the embedded timestamp when you do it and I think you'd have a fair shot at them agreeing you properly rotated the tires. And even tread wear should help support that.
Noting the tread wear is a good idea - everyone should invest in a tread depth gauge... they're like $5.

Anyway I chatted w/ Michelin earlier today and they confirmed what you guys mentioned. If I keep meticulous maintenance records of when the tires were rotated, their positions, etc., Costco or Discount Tire or whomever should accept that as proof. So it sounded to me like the buck stops with the Michelin retailer - does anyone know whether this is the case? How does that even work when there's a warranty claim? Does the retailer get some kind of kickback from Michelin?

Noting the tread wear is a good idea - everyone should invest in a tread depth gauge... they're like $5.

Anyway I chatted w/ Michelin earlier today and they confirmed what you guys mentioned. If I keep meticulous maintenance records of when the tires were rotated, their positions, etc., Costco or Discount Tire or whomever should accept that as proof. So it sounded to me like the buck stops with the Michelin retailer - does anyone know whether this is the case? How does that even work when there's a warranty claim? Does the retailer get some kind of kickback from Michelin?

On another car the Costco Tire Center folks directly told me that if I don't have records with them of regular tire rotation (e.g. every 7500 miles) or evidence of other issues with suspension, alignment, etc. that may impact tire wear, they will not submit the warranty claim. I'm sure its possible to fight with them over it but I don't think it gets you very far in the end. IMO, as someone that likes to work on my cars, for the tire warranty I think you are in much better shape if you have the retailer conduct the rotations.

On another car the Costco Tire Center folks directly told me that if I don't have records with them of regular tire rotation (e.g. every 7500 miles) or evidence of other issues with suspension, alignment, etc. that may impact tire wear, they will not submit the warranty claim. I'm sure its possible to fight with them over it but I don't think it gets you very far in the end. IMO, as someone that likes to work on my cars, for the tire warranty I think you are in much better shape if you have the retailer conduct the rotations.
Problem is that it turns a 30-minute affair into a 4+ hour one, which could very well end up with them effing up your car, as has been my experience. If that's the case, I might be getting a price-match from Discount Tire and going there, instead.

Problem is that it turns a 30-minute affair into a 4+ hour one, which could very well end up with them effing up your car, as has been my experience. If that's the case, I might be getting a price-match from Discount Tire and going there, instead.

I hear you -- it is a hassle. If you make an appointment in advance (pretty much have to by me), they get it done in 1-1.5 hours. But still, it is a nuisance. I've not experienced bad stuff at Costco, but then again I don't take my 'nice' cars there so who knows.

In the end for me...unless I have strong reason to believe, I am not worried about a tire mfg. warranty. I'll get what I get out of the tires and simply buy new ones when the tires tell me it is time. I'll rotate on my own.

Discount Tire handles all of my tire/wheel related work for all of our cars. They’ve also gone to bat for me with Michelin any time that was required.

Having them in my corner has been extremely beneficial overall.

Discount Tire handles all of my tire/wheel related work for all of our cars. They’ve also gone to bat for me with Michelin any time that was required.

Ditto. Never had an issue with Discount Tire (called America's Tire here in SoCal) honoring Michelin warranties, even on OEM tires. But, I buy all of my tires from them, and have for years. Might have something to do with how they treat me.

Reactions: Zcd1
Went to Costco today & the tech told me that they've honored DIY service records multiple times in the past & that I should have no issues, so I placed an order. We'll see what happens!

I guess it really shouldn't matter who you buy the tires from? As long as it's a Michelin retailer, they should be willing to help out.

Reactions: TypeRx
Ditto. Never had an issue with Discount Tire (called America's Tire here in SoCal) honoring Michelin warranties, even on OEM tires. But, I buy all of my tires from them, and have for years. Might have something to do with how they treat me.

Has EVERYTHING to do with the way they've always treated me!

I've even had them source wheels that they don't "carry", so that I had an advocate in case of any issues.

I have the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R18 tires that came with my car and at 16,000 miles, the tread across pretty much all the tires (even after regular rotations).

I called Michelin and they told me to just take the car to any Michelin authorized dealer (list available on their web site) and they would be able to do an inspection and call Michelin with the results. The specifically state that I should be able to do this even if I did not buy the tires from them (because they came with the new car). And by the way, this is clearly stated in their phone menu when you call Michelin (866-866-6605,1,2,2,1)

I called 5 companies, Costco, Sams, Walmart, American Tire Depot and Discount Tire. None of them had any idea what I was talking about. A few would help me with the warranty but only if I had purchased the tires from them.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh and Dolemite

I called Discount Tire and they said that for OEM I have to contact Michelin directly and give them a tread claim #? They've always helped with bought tires.

hmm Anyone have success with a OEM claim. I'm down to 2.25 for my rears after 25k miles. Will /should TSLA rotate or help with claim?

Also any advice on buying something other than OEM for 18 stock that would give a "cushier" ride w/o sacrificing treadwear or efficiency? Don't care about other performance variables

I have the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R18 tires that came with my car and at 16,000 miles, the tread across pretty much all the tires (even after regular rotations).

I called Michelin and they told me to just take the car to any Michelin authorized dealer (list available on their web site) and they would be able to do an inspection and call Michelin with the results. The specifically state that I should be able to do this even if I did not buy the tires from them (because they came with the new car). And by the way, this is clearly stated in their phone menu when you call Michelin (866-866-6605,1,2,2,1)

I called 5 companies, Costco, Sams, Walmart, American Tire Depot and Discount Tire. None of them had any idea what I was talking about. A few would help me with the warranty but only if I had purchased the tires from them.
I have had success with America's Tire (equal to Discount Tire for the West Coast) for the aftermarket Michelin MXM4 purchased from them (not OEM ones). For the OEM ones, I've heard success might be greater if you're looking to replace with a set of Michelin's from them, but I haven't tried myself.

FWIW, the front OEM MXM4's wore out in a year at 8,000 miles, we replaced with another brand. My wife is heavy on the brakes, I think this causes the fronts to wear out faster. The rears were not as worn at the time, so I thought I'd wait at most six more months and then have to replace them, while swapping the front and rears at the same time to get newest tires in front.

I've had the two additional new tires in storage; however, more than two COVID years later, the OEM rears are still holding up at 22,000 miles, go figure. The wear on the replacement fronts (Sumitomo brand) is also not so bad as the OEM Michelins were, with 14K miles currently on them. But assuming my wife still wears the fronts faster, by the time I swap these Sumitomo's to the back, they'll last the remainder on the back as long as new ones on the front, so everything will be timed right for 4 tires sometime far in the future....