Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin vs. Goodyear, what to get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Model S is in need of a new set. The options are Michelin or Goodyear all seasons for my 19inch rims. Both are OE, but mine came with the Goodyear’s originally.

What should I put on next? The price difference is 200-300 more to go with Michelin’s, but is there an improvement? Are both good for wet and snow conditions ?

My 2017 Model S is in need of a new set. The options are Michelin or Goodyear all seasons for my 19inch rims. Both are OE, but mine came with the Goodyear’s originally.

What should I put on next? The price difference is 200-300 more to go with Michelin’s, but is there an improvement? Are both good for wet and snow conditions ?
Michelins have a treadwear warranty and I believe Goodyear doesn't.

Reactions: markn455
I replaced the stock Goodyear with Michelin tires. The only complain I had was they lasted 35k miles. Otherwise they were great. Some people complain about the noise (Goodyear louder vs Michelin) but I think without an objective and scientific test it is hard to say. We run into a placebo effect where we are simply used to the sound the car makes after a while, so anything different sounding might be considered "quieter". There's also thread depth to consider.

As for Michelin tires, almost 25k in and the amount of thread left is considerably deeper. I am hoping they will last until 45-50k based on what's left, we will see.

I replaced the stock Goodyear with Michelin tires. The only complain I had was they lasted 35k miles. Otherwise they were great. Some people complain about the noise (Goodyear louder vs Michelin) but I think without an objective and scientific test it is hard to say. We run into a placebo effect where we are simply used to the sound the car makes after a while, so anything different sounding might be considered "quieter". There's also thread depth to consider.

As for Michelin tires, almost 25k in and the amount of thread left is considerably deeper. I am hoping they will last until 45-50k based on what's left, we will see.
Which michelins did you get?

I got the Michellin MXM 4 and had initial difficulty with vibratiosn from balance, runout and maybe flat spots. Multiple visits and 2 tire replacements failed to completely solve the vibration problems. Fortunately, it resolved with some wear and mileage, and now run great.

Reactions: AMehta
@AMehta,

Discount Tire offers good prices for Michelin tires. I bought 4 of the same OEM 19” tires that came with my 2015 S85D for less than $1000. However, I don’t know if they have stores in your area.

I do recommend getting a low rolling resistance (LLR) tire, to preserve your range, if you do frequent road trips.

Goodyear is also one of my favorite tire brands, but for 19” LLR tires I think Michelin was better when I bought mine about 2 years ago.

GSP

• Informative

On my third set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. All tires have run for 50,000+ miles. Did very well in OH, MI, and all parts north. Now in FL and probably don't need the A/S aspect. Mounted on 2016 90D. Costco sold, balanced, mounted, and they rotate free for life of tires. I am a happy camper

On my third set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. All tires have run for 50,000+ miles. Did very well in OH, MI, and all parts north. Now in FL and probably don't need the A/S aspect. Mounted on 2016 90D. Costco sold, balanced, mounted, and they rotate free for life of tires. I am a happy camper
This is the exact set up I have on my p85D. They’re great tires! I got from Costco for $850 out the door.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Thanks all! I think I’m going to go with the Michelin’s instead of the good year. The price is 300 more but I think it’ll be better in the long run.
CHeck out Tire Rack as someone suggested. I bought my last 2 sets of tires and am happy with the experience. Also, there was a mailer sent from TR just before the Labor Day. Not sure if it is still valid but there was a discount on Michelin tires.

They should not be 300 dollars more than Goodyear.

Just installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s, replaced the original Goodyear Eagles the car came with. Tires are a little more sporty but so far I’m taking a bigger range hit than I was expecting, averaging around 10% more energy usage per mile. The tires Tesla picks for us do matter on range.

CHeck out Tire Rack as someone suggested. I bought my last 2 sets of tires and am happy with the experience. Also, there was a mailer sent from TR just before the Labor Day. Not sure if it is still valid but there was a discount on Michelin tires.

They should not be 300 dollars more than Goodyear.
I found out from a friend that he got his through Costco. They have the OE PRIMACY MXM4 245/45R19 for cheaper than TireRack.

Make sure they are made in Germany or Japan when you check on TireRack. QC tends to be top notch when manufactured by properly nourished individuals with benefits. Either brand is perfectly OK.

I'm looking at this thread because I'm considering the Pilot Sport All Season.

But I love that line: "QC tends to be top notch when manufactured by properly nourished individuals with benefits."