Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin X-Ice a good winter tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only driven with Bridgestone Blizzak tires in the snow, and they were really nice. They're a bit louder than summer or a/s tires, but that's all I could nitpick about. I'm looking at TSportline's 20" offerings, and I'm thinking of getting the Falcon Y Limited with their tire package (X-Ice).

I think it would be really nice to just get the whole package already mounted, but doing internet searches comparing Blizzak and X-Ice really showed the Blizzak's being slightly better.

I don't think there's going to be that much difference for me, but just wondering what the community here thought about the X-ice and if you have had any good/bad experiences with them.

Also, I know it might be better going to 19" rims + tires, but I love how my 21" look and hope to keep it close ;)

I live in California, and will not really need them on until I go up to Tahoe for the winter a handful of times. The drive is mostly dry, but once I get into the mountains, it can get deep (let's hope).

They’re basically the same as Blizzaks. One seems to be a little better on sheet ice, one seems better on hard pack snow, one better on clear but wet roads, one better on dry roads, etc. Both are fantastic tires...

That said, there is a new release this year, xIce Snow that hasn’t fully been tested by TireRack, but early previews have impressed them. If I were buying xIce I would make sure it was their new release tire and not the outgoing older ones...

I, too have x-ice tires on a non-Tesla. My winter "beaters" have worn them for the last ten years--no complaints. BTW, my new cars become "beaters" after I drive them for eight to ten years during snow free months, so I fully expect that someday my Tesla will become my latest "beater". Where I live, road salt is what kills cars, and this approach somewhat mitigates the problem. Looking forward to a stainless steel cyber truck.

The michelins will be good, yeah. Honestly, just deciding to get winter tires is like 95% of the benefit...the differences between models are minor. I think bigger question is snow & ice v. winter performance. I've always used blizzaks on my BMW but am going to get the new pirelli performance winters for the model Y...think I'll drive the bmw more in deep snow and the Tesla when it's cold and dry.

The michelins will be good, yeah. Honestly, just deciding to get winter tires is like 95% of the benefit...the differences between models are minor. I think bigger question is snow & ice v. winter performance. I've always used blizzaks on my BMW but am going to get the new pirelli performance winters for the model Y...think I'll drive the bmw more in deep snow and the Tesla when it's cold and dry.
I moved from an X3 to a Model 3. My wife has an X5.
I have Nokians on both cars. Of these three vehicles, the Model 3 is easily the best performer on snow and ice.
Model Y is on the way to replace the Model 3. I am expecting it to be at least as good if not better.
I'm planning to put 18" rims oand snows on the Model Y for winter.

I moved from an X3 to a Model 3. My wife has an X5.
I have Nokians on both cars. Of these three vehicles, the Model 3 is easily the best performer on snow and ice.
Model Y is on the way to replace the Model 3. I am expecting it to be at least as good if not better.
I'm planning to put 18" rims oand snows on the Model Y for winter.

Curious what 18" wheels you'll use...

Is it true that these tires are only good when new? They wear quickly and after a few thousand miles, they turn into "all-season" tires, which are pretty lousy on snow? This is the case for the Blizzak.
The reason they do this is that they can't sell a tire that gets only 10,000 miles. So, they use soft rubber on the outside and hard rubber on the inside to give it long lasting. But, you lose the traction when the outside wears off. It seems like deceptive marketing to me.....

Is it true that these tires are only good when new? They wear quickly and after a few thousand miles, they turn into "all-season" tires, which are pretty lousy on snow? This is the case for the Blizzak.
The reason they do this is that they can't sell a tire that gets only 10,000 miles. So, they use soft rubber on the outside and hard rubber on the inside to give it long lasting. But, you lose the traction when the outside wears off. It seems like deceptive marketing to me.....
I've used Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ice, and other winter tires for numerous seasons (5+years) and 20,000+ miles (granted on non-Tesla vehicles) and they still outperform all-season tires as they age. Just make sure to take them off at end of winter season, warmer weather will cause them to wear out fast.

Nope, and that might have been why the WS80s were so amazing when new. To be fair, Bridgestone did also note at what tread depth the compounds switched over so you could decide that before purchase. The xIce haven’t had those design issues in the past and I doubt the xIce Snow will have adopted that. I actually think Bridgestone moves away from that on the WS90s so it’s now a single compound tire.

Edit: I guess the WS90s still have that issue, but I’ve read that it’s been greatly improved. From TireRack: “Blizzak WS90 tires feature snow platforms that act as winter wear bars and notify drivers when they are near the end of the Multi-Cell compound (actual depth of Multi-Cell compound varies slightly by tire size). Beneath the Multi-Cell compound is Bridgestone's best winter compound, but without the Multi-Cell feature”

A key thing about the X-Ice, they come with a tread wear warranty (or did the last time I purchased them). Where I live, I go through tires very quickly (very twisty road). I get all my tires from discount tire. Getting some money back every time I get new tires due to the tires not lasting long enough is a very good thing. Most snow / winter tires do not have a tread warranty.

I had these on my Mercedes S500 4Matic and BMW X5. I wore them down to the cords coming through (not intentionally, but things happen). They were still better in the snow than my Continental all seasons. So, no, they are not like the Blizzak that just become all-seasons after the first season.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85Dan

If this is a concern, you can opt for studded snow tires. I hate them (loud, damage to roadways, must be removed in spring), but many Mainers swear by them. Just be sure that they meet Tesla specs. Since my experience with x-ice tires has been so good, I haven't looked to see if studded tires are available for Teslas.

If this is a concern, you can opt for studded snow tires. I hate them (loud, damage to roadways, must be removed in spring), but many Mainers swear by them. Just be sure that they meet Tesla specs. Since my experience with x-ice tires has been so good, I haven't looked to see if studded tires are available for Teslas.

It should be noted that some snow tires without studs are actually better on fresh snow, slush, and glaze ice on roadways. Studs are great at hard packed snow and solid ice because they can eat into both of those and grip, but the rubber compounds tend to need to be slightly harder because of the need to keep the studs in place. I think you would run into clearance issues with the Model Y long before you need studs. Get a good winter tire, either the xIce Snow or the WS90s and just not worry. Both are great winter tires and with the AWD of the car you probably won't be getting stuck anywhere unless you're in like a foot or more of brand new snow...

I got my first taste of driving on snow the beginning of this week. I was pretty surprised how the stock 19" tires handled the snow. ABS was quick and firm and stopped the car well. No noticeable sliding in turns at conservative speed. There was one spot where a bridged was iced over (the rest of the road had melted) and I did start to slide a bit to the side as the bridge was also on a turn, I was regenning at the time as the bridge is right at the bottom of a hill, then the road turns and starts to go up hill. No ABS was triggered, I did not leave my lane, so overall a success, but definitely puckered a bit there. I didn't notice any flashing lights or warnings on the screen, but I wasn't looking at the screen at that time. I am a member of a traffic group on facebook for my local area, and not 15 minutes later there were was a 4 car accident at that exact same spot, all SUV's and trucks.

I personally haven't had experience with Michelin X-Ice, but share some thoughts.

Before Model Y I had 3-series 340i M-Sport in WI and tried 2 different winter sets: Blizzaks WS90 and Michelin Pilot Alpin. The first is just studless ice and snow, the second is a Performance winter tire. The handling with Blizaaks was absolutely horrible on dry pavement, the car felt like a boat and I could not wait to change them to a performance summer rubber. With Pilot Alpin, it felt great in dry and snow so if you like spirited driving get the performance winter tires.

For the upcoming winter for my Y I'm considering either: PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 or MICHELIN PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC. More expensive but well worth it.

I had Blizzaks on my old 2015 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid. Loud and squishy in the dry.

I had X-ICE Xi3 on my Model 3. Very good in the winter, quieter than Blizzaks.

I just ordered X-ICE SNOW for my Model Y, which is the replacement for the Xi3. They have a more aggressive tread pattern.

@stactum I had Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on my old WRX and they are awesome.