Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Micheline Crossclimate 2's on a 18" Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else used the Micheline Crossclimate 2's on their Model 3 with 18" wheels? I burned through the factory MXM4's in 17k miles and needed to replace them, so I picked the Crossclimates because the performance was highly rated and the warranty is 60k miles. I understood that there would be range loss, but I was expecting something like 5%, maybe 10% at the worst. I've only put 200 miles on them so far, but I'm seeing almost a 15% loss so far. Even if I break them in, it's looking like a 10% range hit is about the best I can hope for. Has anyone else had experience with these tires that they wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks.

I have them on a LR RWD, hard to compare. Looking at the data after having about 4000 miles on them, I'd say they've settled in around 10% worse than the MXM4s in warm weather. They seem to do worse at higher speeds, probably because of the aggressive tread pattern. I don't know if you noticed, but they are also about 1/2" wider than the MXM4s, which also doesn't help efficiency.

They are phenomenal in the rain and cold weather - didn't really get a chance to test them in any real snow, but over a few patches they felt great.

They are a bit noisier than the MXM4s - you can notice the lack of foam inside and they tend to "sing" a bit due to the tread pattern. At freeway speeds they're pretty similar, though.

If I had to buy them again - I'm not sure I would, unless I wanted to keep the 3-peak snow rating. The Nokian ONE (see review thread here) looks pretty promising in comparison and even their winter tires seem to be pretty efficient in general.

On a road trip, I can't say I really notice the drop in efficiency - the one I've taken on these tires, it was also cold, wet and sometimes windy so that probably affected things more than the tires. Add all those factors up and it would be nice to have another 15 kWh of capacity on those trips, though!

Last edited:
They are a bit noisier than the MXM4s - you can notice the lack of foam inside and they tend to "sing" a bit due to the tread pattern. At freeway speeds they're pretty similar, though.
Im glad you point this out. I thought I was going crazy hearing things, because to me it sounds like someone blowing on a jug or bottle when im on the highway. It’s not loud, but it definitely “sings.”

Im still seeing ~15% decrease in range. Otherwise I like them. If they can make it even 70% of the way to the tread wear warranty, it may be worth the trade off, but I will definitely shop around when it’s time to replace again. I wish someone made a MXM4 competitor at around $200 per tire.

Reactions: XPsionic
We have these on my wife's Equinox roughly 10K miles thus far. I've always purchased Michelin tires but IMO this was a swing and a miss. They are comfortable, quiet, and used to do extremely well in the rain but that is no longer the case. When I drive her vehicle in wet weather starting from a complete stop, I get tire spin about 50% of the time.

Now, this could be due to her vehicle being front wheel drive but that's purely anecdotal. The net is that I will not be buying them again when it's time for new shoes. YMMV

I have been running Micheline Crossclimate 2's on my 21 M3 LR AWD since last November and drove about 25,000 miles all over Maine, New Hampshire and Quebec this past winter. They are noticeably softer tires and I did notice an initial drop off of about 15% efficiency which seemed to improve over time. Yet when doing city driving or driving under 50 MPH, the decrease in efficiency is negligible, practically unnoticeable. I regularly get less than 200 Wh/mi in warmer weather. I was not overly impressed by their winter performance, but for me, their ability to be run year-round unlike a dedicated winter tire, makes up for their shortcomings. Wet road performance is excellent.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I bought a set of these Crossclimate2 and some 18" rims that fit my M3P and they have been awesome. I wanted a tire that did well in the snow but living in Texas it has to be an all season as it's 89 degrees in Austin today in February. But I do a lot of ski trips to Colorado and can be in a few inches of snow or ice. These are the only tire on the market or that I have ever heard of with 3 peak snow tire rating plus an all season. Have taken them in a few inches of snow this week and was very impressed with the grip.

I wouldn't get these if you wouldn't use them in snow. Ratings for wet and dry are lower than other all seasons. I'd probably get DWS06 or Michelin Pilot sport all seasons 4 if I wanted one tire to run 100% time and didn't need as much snow performance. Or if I was in a place with cold snowy winters I'd just have a winter set and summer set.

In my case I have summer tires I'll probably run the majority of the year. I needed a second set for ski trips plus it's handy on the once a year ice storm in Texas. But I couldn't really use a dedicated winter set as winter can have days that are way to hot in Texas. This Crossclimate2 is the perfect balance of dry/wet/snow/ice/cold/hot for my use case as a second set.

I bought these for my 3 in November.
Keep in mind that rolling resistance on any new tire will be higher than a worn tire-by as much as 20%.
I noticed the range drop/consumption increase immediately but it seems to be near on par with the OEM tires now.
We took a long trip in January that retraced a trip we did last March. No difference in the frequency of stops to charge.
Not really sure I'd call them loud. I can't say they are quieter but we didn't notice the tire noise so the difference isn't large.

All that said, I no longer will have need of the extra snow capability so not sure I'll put them on next time, but since I prefer riding motorcycles in the warmer seasons there really isn't any harm in using the CrossClimates.

Has anyone else used the Micheline Crossclimate 2's on their Model 3 with 18" wheels? I burned through the factory MXM4's in 17k miles and needed to replace them, so I picked the Crossclimates because the performance was highly rated and the warranty is 60k miles. I understood that there would be range loss, but I was expecting something like 5%, maybe 10% at the worst. I've only put 200 miles on them so far, but I'm seeing almost a 15% loss so far. Even if I break them in, it's looking like a 10% range hit is about the best I can hope for. Has anyone else had experience with these tires that they wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks.
Tire Rack did a comparison test between those exact tires on a Model 3 and found that the CrossClimate2 was 10-11% worse in economy and range. They found that the CrossClimate2 was better in performance, while the Primacy MXM4 was better in comfort.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Just got off the phone with Michelin Customer Service (after holding for a little over 15 minutes and being reminded every 15 seconds that an associate would be with me soon) regarding what I feel is excessive noise from CC2’s on our 2020 M3. A heavy foot on our Long Range Dual Motor resulted in me (guilty as charged) burning through the OEM 18” tires in around 10k miles. Got an adjustment from Michelin and payed a reasonable price (approx $250) for the set of CC2’s. I now have about 25k (driving much more gently) on them and while I have not tracked efficiency, I’m pleased with their overall performance, especially in our last snowy Reno winter.
The tires have been loud since day one and I probably should have taken advantage of the 60 day, no questions asked return policy. Instead, I have endured the noise for the past couple of years (duh) and finally called Michelin today. I’m either very tolerant or very….

The associate was pleasant and suggested that, even after this long, I should return to Discount Tire and express my concern. She said if a visit to DT was not to my satisfaction, to call back (she assigned a case number) and they may be able to provide some (non specified) relief.

What has me puzzled, is that most interweb sources report that CC2’s are exceptionally quiet. Mine are loud but tolerable (with the radio turned up) on smooth asphalt but roar loudly on concrete. BTW, tire pressures are 42#. Also, checked with the boss of the house and her recollection is the OEM tires were loud too.
Finally, a question! While I understand tire noise, for non-instrumented drivers, is subjective and consequently difficult to assess, but I’d like to know if others are experiencing my situation with CC2’s and, short of R&Ring the tires, was there a solution? Have I answered my own question 😀?

Off to Discount Tire soon. Should have gone sooner…

Thanks in advance.

I don't find them noisy. Don't notice any difference between the 18" crossclimate2 or OEM 20" pirelli.

I love these tires, awesome having an all season that's snow tire rated. Used these in 8" of snow on a colorado ski trip and kept them on for a few months of 100+ degree summer days here in Texas.