Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Micheline CrossClimate2 for the front and Continental ContiSilent CrossContact LX Sport for the rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model X 75D. It is our family car. I need change my front tires, which are the original factory Continental. The rear pair were replaced already and still in pretty good shape. The rear are Continental ContiSilent CrossContact LX Sport. Since it is a family car we don't drive aggressively. I have a couple questions:

1. I am thinking to put Micheline CrossClimate2 on the front. Is there anything against such mix brand configuration, like less range or more noise? Any experiences on Micheline CrossClimate2? I like Micheline because of my experiences on my ICE cars before this Tesla.
2. Is it normal to replace Model X's front and rear tires separately, since they are staggered? Any trick to try to bring them back in sync? My rear pair were replaced early because of damages from road hazards and the well known inner tread wear for X.

Thank you very much for your advice!

I would personally be hesitant to mix and match tires on the same car. All tires perform and handle differently with different levels of traction under various conditions. I wouldn't want the front of the car to handle better on wet pavement than the rear, or vice versa, which is going to really matter in emergency type conditions.

I would think that properly rotating tires would help them to wear evenly so they can be replaced all together?

Safety would be my concern. Traction/grip will be different from front to rear. I guess when I had a $400 beater in college it probably wouldn't have mattered, but I wouldn't do it on my $60,000+ luxury family car.

If you are still on the original tires after five years, it may be time to replace them just due to age.

Reactions: mspohr
Tires on M-X cannot be rotated. They are in the different sizes. Wearing faster on the inner tread of rear tires on Model X is well known, because the rear wheels by factory setting lean inward. I believe it's called camber. So I guess mixing new/old tires between front and rear are common for Model X. Of cause safety is paramount. It seems hard to get all four tires' replacement into sync. As I said I like Michelin more in general. But I don't know CrossClimate2, especially for range. Model X 75D's range is on the short end in the Tesla range spectrum.

Ah, didn't realize different tire size front to rear. The CC2 seems to be an *excellent* tire if you are specifically looking for a good all around all season tire that is also probably the best non-snow tire in the snow. If excellent snow performance in a non dedicated snow tire is important, CC2 is a fantastic choice from what I've read. Most accounts I've seen indicate some efficiency loss compared to the most efficient EV specific tires.

The CC2 has a treadwear rating of 640 which is much better than the factory tires that I am aware of used by Tesla. So in that metric, it may be a better choice that will result in longer life. I wonder if biting the bullet and just doing a full set front and rear might be the way to go. Or perhaps mixing brands front/rear won't be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Goodyear Assurance Maxlife for my next set of tires...820 treadwear and 85k mileage warranty.

If I had more than 18k miles I’d just replace all 4. What are you saving?

Check the warranty closely. My CC suv and I’m assuming the CC2 had a footnote on the warranty that said if the front and rears were different sizes the Mileage warranty was cut in half. I bought a set of 80k mile tires. I didn’t get but 40k and then they would not warranty them as is was during lockdown and I didn’t rotate them.

My recommendation. If you are buying 2 expensive tires don’t cheap out just buy 4. If you’re on a budget just get the cheapest thing for up front. Now some shops won’t let you run different front and rear.

My rear should be above 80% tread. I probably should have replaced the fronts when I did the rear. My rear two were not in the same age but close, because of road hazard injuries. Thank you for the info about range loss. It's a big minus for me to consider CC2. I am in Bay Area and rarely go on snow. For warranty, I believe Micheline reduces the mileage to half for staggered configuration, like Model X. Given my own experience the main use of the warranty would be road hazard instead of tread wear.

The CrossClimates likely have better grip than the Contis in all situations, but especially in the wet and snow.

Therefore it would have less grip in the rear and make the car more prone to oversteer aka spinning out on curves especially in inclement weather.

Best to keep all 4 the same.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Yeah I probably will go for Contis.

Just realized that CC2 on rear may have a big advantage for tread wear. The rear two tires can be swapped, to balance out the inner tread wear for X (the inner would become outer) . The ContiSilent has one side clearly marked as outside, which denies side swapping idea. This idea just came to my mind. I don't know if someone has done so. Maybe next time when I decide to change all four tires I will go for CC2 (or maybe something better at that time)

Yeah I probably will go for Contis.

Just realized that CC2 on rear may have a big advantage for tread wear. The rear two tires can be swapped, to balance out the inner tread wear for X (the inner would become outer) . The ContiSilent has one side clearly marked as outside, which denies side swapping idea. This idea just came to my mind. I don't know if someone has done so. Maybe next time when I decide to change all four tires I will go for CC2 (or maybe something better at that time)
The CC2s are direction tread and can not be swapped side to side. And even if the could the outside is always the outside no matter what the position on the car. Once you go staggered with directional tread you can not rotate your tires.

My rear should be above 80% tread. I probably should have replaced the fronts when I did the rear. My rear two were not in the same age but close, because of road hazard injuries. Thank you for the info about range loss. It's a big minus for me to consider CC2. I am in Bay Area and rarely go on snow. For warranty, I believe Micheline reduces the mileage to half for staggered configuration, like Model X. Given my own experience the main use of the warranty would be road hazard instead of tread wear.

@stadia which tires did you replace your with? I see there is a Michelin - CrossClimate2 tires at Costco. debating to keep the OEM Continental. thanks in advance for your help

@stadia did you ever change the fronts? I am going to have a set of 2022 OEM Contis Fronts I can sell as my backs are worn out but fronts are still 8/32. I'm switching all 4 to a differernt brand as I wouldn't run different brands on front/rear.

Fronts have 9k miles on them. Only ran last summer from 6-20 to 12-5 when put in winter set. Never curbed, never patched, really like new( with only minus 1 32nd wear). Price will be right.... Amazing how good fronts are for backs being completely shot.