Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelins vs Goodyears

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car came equipped with 19" Goodyear RS-A2s, and while I can't say they've been bad tires, i'm not blown away by them either. Looking on tirerack i can see they're dirt cheap ($125/tire) so i for that price I'd say they're excellent value for money.

The snow traction is pretty awful but considering i'm used to snow tires that's kind of to be expected I guess, and now that i live in SoCal a dedicated set of snows are out of the question for the couple mountain trips per year I'd do.

Poor tire rotation habits means my back tires are getting close to end of life, and with a long road trip to Colorado coming up I'm considering either:

1) just replacing the worn rears and riding these out for another 30-40k
2) Upgrading to Michelin Premier A/Ss. ($260/tire)

I haven't been able to find any side by side comparisons of efficiency and noise but for double the money I would expect a noticeable difference.

Has anyone gone from the Goodyears to the Michelins? I'm particularly interested in how quiet they are.

I don't understand how anyone who sees snow drives on the goodyears. They're truly awful in snow. I guess if you have a dual motor car at least you can get going but that'll just get you to the scene of the accident quicker.

My car came equipped with 19" Goodyear RS-A2s, and while I can't say they've been bad tires, i'm not blown away by them either. Looking on tirerack i can see they're dirt cheap ($125/tire) so i for that price I'd say they're excellent value for money.

The snow traction is pretty awful but considering i'm used to snow tires that's kind of to be expected I guess, and now that i live in SoCal a dedicated set of snows are out of the question for the couple mountain trips per year I'd do.

Poor tire rotation habits means my back tires are getting close to end of life, and with a long road trip to Colorado coming up I'm considering either:

1) just replacing the worn rears and riding these out for another 30-40k
2) Upgrading to Michelin Premier A/Ss. ($260/tire)

I haven't been able to find any side by side comparisons of efficiency and noise but for double the money I would expect a noticeable difference.

Has anyone gone from the Goodyears to the Michelins? I'm particularly interested in how quiet they are.

My car came with the same Goodyears. I use Michelin X-Ice 3's in the winter, so I am not all that concerned with snow performance of my other tires.

Have you looked at the Pilot Sport A/S 3+? I have been looking at my 3 season tires, narrowed my decision down to those and the Pirelli Cinturato's but some members here have reported that the Pirelli's spin off of an aggressive launch. Pilot Sport A/S 3+ seem to get high praise all around.

I bought a set of used 19” Tesla Cyclone wheels off eBay and a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 all season (mud & snow rated) tires from America's Tire with their "Tire Certificates" (road hazard warranty) for winter “road trips” in our AWD 2015 Model S P85D Tesla. We did a "road trip" last winter to Breckenridge Colorado and the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were awesome in the snow, quiet and comfortable on the road, and decent in in sunny SoCal driving. Definitely don't handle our Ludicrous power and corner as well as the ContinentallSport Contact 5P - CSI 245 /35 R21 tires on our 21" Turbines but they're definitely much better in rain, snow and ice.

Link to tires: https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/

I'm pretty sure you need to select Load Range XL for our heavy Teslas... but America's Tire salesperson should know... and they ALWAYS meet or beat competitive tire prices including Tire Rack, Costco, Sam's Club... AND have stores through the west where you'll be skiing / snowboarding. :cool:

Reactions: BEEZR
My 2015 S85D (June 2015) came with Michelin Primacy tires. I traded the S85D in on a 2016 S90D (December 2016) and it came with Goodyear. The Goodyears were much noisier than the Michelins. Fortunately for me, the Goodyears could not be balanced so I told the SC manager that I wanted Michelin Primacy and they replaced the tires with Michelin. I will only install Michelin on my Tesla when they wear out.

My 2015 S85D (June 2015) came with Michelin Primacy tires. I traded the S85D in on a 2016 S90D (December 2016) and it came with Goodyear. The Goodyears were much noisier than the Michelins. Fortunately for me, the Goodyears could not be balanced so I told the SC manager that I wanted Michelin Primacy and they replaced the tires with Michelin. I will only install Michelin on my Tesla when they wear out.
Were the Goodyears that were replaced the "new" Goodyear touring tires with the sound deadening foam or the old RSA 2s?

Were the Goodyears that were replaced the "new" Goodyear touring tires with the sound deadening foam or the old RSA 2s?
I don't know, my car was delivered on December 27, 2016. There was a lot of tire noise from day 1. My S90D also has a lot more wind noise than my S85D. I bought some of the Trim-Lok tubing seal:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL4DCIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and plan to try it to see if it eliminates or reduces the wind problem. This has been talked about in other forum messages. You push it into the gaps around the windshield.

Has anyone gone from the Goodyears to the Michelins?

I replaced the original Goodyears on my '17 RWD with Michelin Primacy MXM4s.

I am partial to Michelin since I switched to them on my previous car. They have also handled quite well. Had a sidewall puncture within the first 12 months years ago and Michelin paid for a replacement, and I didn't have hazard coverage.

My sevice center pointed out that after 12K miles the Goodyears on the rear were basically done. Granted, I had not rotated them up to that point. And the RWDs apparently eat up the rear tires quite fast. Naturally all the prices quoted for new tires at the service center were excessive. So they rotated the tires without charging me. I went to BJs and had them put on 4 new Michelins for less than $800.

I kept the 2 partially worn Goodyears and will use them as a backup or a spare - BJs will mount the tire on a wheel for $10. Now I just need an extra wheel for road trips.

The Michelins are just as quiet as the Goodyears IMO. I have 19s. The 1-inch foam lining in the Goodyears may muffle a decibel or two however the noise difference is really non-existant.

Last edited:
I bought a set of used 19” Tesla Cyclone wheels off eBay and a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 all season (mud & snow rated) tires from America's Tire with their "Tire Certificates"

Has anyone had good luck with these 'tire certificates' from America's? I get that it's like an insurance, and that most people won't use them. I'm just curious to hear from someone who had a problem, and had certificates. Did they honor them like they promised at the sale? Depending the the tire and salesperson, you can negotiate these for pretty cheap. I just wonder if it's even worth the effort.

Got over 53K out of the OEM Michelin Primacys on a late ‘14 S85 (RWD). Could have gotten another 3-5K out of them easily.

The Goodyear Eagle Touring tires on a 2017 S90D have been poor - they could be replaced now at 24K miles and I doubt they’ll get to 27K.

This means that Tesla has doubled my cost of ownership for tires to $1K/year unless I want to downgrade to the original OEM Goodyears which, like the new Goodyears have exactly zero mileage warranty. The Michelins of course have a 45K mile warranty, which as you can see above is easily exceeded with correct air pressure, alignment, and scheduled rotations.

Both the Michelins and the Goodyears get loud toward the end of their life. Nothing new there.

Unless I find a CPO RWD AP1 car to replace my current AP2 car, I’ll replace these miserable Goodyears with a set of Michelin Primacys.

If you don’t drive a lot, you may not care in which case I’d recommend a set of the original OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s, which I got as a replacement for the Michelins on the S85 for $461 out the door.

Otherwise, I haven’t found better for touring than the Primacys for $200/tire plus and minus the usual nickels and dimes.

Reactions: CSFTN and BrokerDon
Has anyone had good luck with these 'tire certificates' from America's? I get that it's like an insurance, and that most people won't use them. I'm just curious to hear from someone who had a problem, and had certificates. Did they honor them like they promised at the sale? Depending the the tire and salesperson, you can negotiate these for pretty cheap. I just wonder if it's even worth the effort.

America's Tire has replaced 2 of our expensive ($329 each) 21" Continental Sport Contact 5P - CSI tires on our 2015 P85D+ for road hazards in 35,000 miles of driving under their Tire Certificate warranty. I drove from the Tesla Deliver Center to an America's Tire and bought four Tire Certificates for $46.25 each ... and a couple of months later had a road hazard tire failure which they replaced.

They also just replaced ALL FOUR of our expensive ($250) 315/75R16 (35") BFG KO2 All-Terrain tires last month on our 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon after the original tires couldn't be balanced correctly after a couple of years...also under their Tire Certificate warranty. They've also replaced several expensive ($290 to $370 each) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on my Corvette Z06 and several $250 BFG KO2 All-Terrain 32" tires on our Jeep Grand Cherokees via their Tire Certificate warranty. Yes I know that's a lot of tire replacements but the Jeeps are driven off road, and the low riding / super low profile tire Tesla and Corvette are especially vulnerable to road debris and potholes.

The beauty of America Tire's relatively inexpensive Tire Certificates is they cover the full NON-PRORATED replacement cost of a new tire as long as the treadwear is within normal specs and the tire is less than 7 years old. To cover the replacement tire, just buy another Tire Certificate. Too easy and has saved us THOU$AND$ on tires over the years... Especially on the $329 Tesla 21" ContiSilent tires.

YMMV

Cool, thanks for the info. I just hadn't heard too many people with direct experience with using the certs. Glad to hear that these have more than paid off for you! I love America's Tire as well.....I love to barter, and they'll definitely play the game if you talk to the right person.

Yes America's Tire has matched or beat every installed price quote I've given them over 25+ years including TireRack.com, Costco, and Sam's Club.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
I've reached 41k and they're ready to change. What do you know about the pros and cons of sourcing new tires from the Service Center vs. local tire shop?
Burying tires from the Tesla SC is going to cost you a lot more than buying at Costco or Discount Tire. If you buy them at the SC, they will not give you hazard insurance like you can get at local tire dealers.