Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Attempt to Again Ban Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I wondered if it was a mistake to drop the original lawsuit given the fact the remedy was some sort of "handshake" deal that really didn't address the core problem. Seems like it might be coming back to haunt them now.

I will say service was better before they were allowed to business in the state. They would come to your location and flatbed your car to be serviced out of state. After opening a service center in Michigan they ask those of us on the west side of the state to drive over 2 hours each way to a service center. The one time I did this I took a day off of work for a Friday morning appointment. Once I got there they told me they weren't even going to look at my car until Monday morning. Another day off work and 4 more hours of driving......
We haven't bought a Model Y because of this and if they get kicked back out of the state I don't see how I can keep my 3. I don't have time to drive to Detroit for service so I certainly won't drive to Chicago or Toledo.

And unfortunately legislators don't care. This is and has been bipartisan in the past. Not enough people care if a few of us can conveniently get our Teslas or not. It really sucks.....

• Disagree
Reactions: Hoowzer and mrau
Benzinga - 45 minutes ago: Tesla's Settlement With Michigan Could Be Undone By Auto Dealer-Backed Bill Passed In State House

If you reside in Michigan, you may want to contact your legislators regarding this Tesla matter.

Thank you Curt Renz for the heads up. I have written my state representative and senator, and encourage everyone in Mi to do the same. You can find your state rep and senators here.
Here's what I wrote- feel free to copy and/or modify.

Dear Representative xxxx,
It recently came to my attention that the Michigan state legislature is still backing a ban on direct sales and service of vehicles in Michigan. Apparently, this blocks new electric vehicle companies such as Rivian from selling directly in Michigan, and may even block Tesla from the same (although a previous agreement was made with Tesla).
I urge you not to support any matter of limiting sale and service centers in Michigan. I urge you not to succumb to unfair lobbying by the Michigan Auto Dealer Association. This ban on direct sales is stifling American innovation, especially with respect to electric vehicle sales. It is, quite frankly, outrageous considering increasing electric vehicle sales is necessary for fighting continued pollution of our environment and increasing American technological innovation is important the US world standing. Supporting these archaic laws in Michigan does not encourage people to move to, or young people to remain in, Michigan.
I would like to know how you voted on Bill 6233, and if you were aware that the Tesla specific language and other provisions of the legislation were excluded the evening before the chamber voted.
Thank your for your response.

Dear Senator xxxxx,
as above except last paragraph is:

Please do not vote to approve any bill (such as House Bill 6233) that limits direct auto sales and service centers in Michigan, and please make sure that the agreement with Tesla specifically is preserved.

Thank your for your response.

Reactions: Curt Renz