Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Michigan, can you test drive Tesla vehicles? Do you have to go to Chicago or Cleveland for that? I have had a Model 3 reserved since the first day, but, I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. If AWD was available with the full tax credit, I probably wouldn't hesitate to get one without a test drive, but, without that, I am second guessing even getting one in this first batch. A test drive might help re-ignite my excitement, but, right now, ordering a RWD one for here in MI, so I can get the full tax credit, is just not as enticing as one with AWD.

In Michigan, can you test drive Tesla vehicles? Do you have to go to Chicago or Cleveland for that? I have had a Model 3 reserved since the first day, but, I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. If AWD was available with the full tax credit, I probably wouldn't hesitate to get one without a test drive, but, without that, I am second guessing even getting one in this first batch. A test drive might help re-ignite my excitement, but, right now, ordering a RWD one for here in MI, so I can get the full tax credit, is just not as enticing as one with AWD.

Yes. Shedule a test drive online at Tesla.com and they'll call you to coordinate a drive at Somerset in Troy. I did it twice before buying my Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
You can't test drive a Model 3 unless you happen to be friends with one of the first 30 recipients ;) That said, you can test drive an S or X. And by all means, do :) Tesla stores generally aren't hard-sell places, they'll be glad to give you a ride with no expectations of a purchase. They're by design generally put in high foot traffic areas to try to get more walk-ins (malls, etc) to get a chance to educate people, rather than focusing only on segments likely to make an immediate purchase.

I am aware they aren't available to test drive yet, just wondered if it was possible, when available, without a long drive to a store, which I won't do. I have driven a S, awesome vehicle, but, this is a totally different vehicle, driving a S won't help me decide if a 3 is worth it. Anyone have any thoughts on AWD vs. RWD in MI? I have another winter vehicle (Ford Raptor), but I was really hoping I could drive this year round without having to worry about being stuck at Boyne if it happened to snow a lot.

P.S. KarenRei, I love me some Iceland, but, what is the deal with the hot dogs? Everyone says they are awesome, I could hardly choke them down, that mustard is terrible, and I love tube steak.. biggest disappointment there :)

Last edited:
I am aware they aren't available to test drive yet, just wondered if it was possible, when available, without a long drive to a store, which I won't do. I have driven a S, awesome vehicle, but, this is a totally different vehicle, driving a S won't help me decide if a 3 is worth it. Anyone have any thoughts on AWD vs. RWD in MI? I have another winter vehicle (Ford Raptor), but I was really hoping I could drive this year round without having to worry about being stuck at Boyne if it happened to snow a lot.

Where in MI are you? There's a Tesla store in Troy, and several in Chicago. I think Musk said it will be 6-9 months (?) before there will be 3s available for test drives at Tesla stores.

I'm leaning more and more toward AWD here in Iceland. I've heard good things about the RWD handling on S and X in winter conditions (have not personally experienced it), but obviously AWD is always better. AWD is a $5k premium on the S, and Musk has said it will be cheaper on the 3 (as it should be, it's a cheaper car with cheaper motors). You on the other hand may have a harder choice - it depends on when your reservation was made. Waiting for AWD may cost you part of your tax credit, and effectively increase the price of your vehicle on top of the cost of AWD.

Re, heavy snow: my main concern is ground clearance. But I've been driving around a Gen1 Insight long enough that any change would be an improvement ;) Model 3's clearance is Prius-like. You could always have the vehicle jacked up a bit if you're willing to lose some range.

I'm only 1.25 hours from Troy, I can go there, but I wasn't sure they did test drives, as MI doesn't allow direct sales or service.

KarenRei, I love me some Iceland, but, what is the deal with the hot dogs? Everyone says they are awesome, I could hardly choke them down, that mustard is terrible, and I love tube steak.. biggest disappointment there :)

I'm only 1.25 hours from Troy, I can go there, but I wasn't sure they did test drives, as MI doesn't allow direct sales or service.

KarenRei, I love me some Iceland, but, what is the deal with the hot dogs? Everyone says they are awesome, I could hardly choke them down, that mustard is terrible, and I love tube steak.. biggest disappointment there :)

Oh, dang you're right, I forgot about how backwards Michigan's laws are :Þ They can't even discuss pricing. So depending what direction you're in, the nearest is either Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, or Toronto :(

As for the hot dogs, all I can say is I guess you don't like lamb ;) That's the main difference. As for me, I'm a vegetarian, so I can't comment from personal experience! We've got some great dairy, though! :)

Last edited:

See my earlier post. You can do test drives in Troy. I did. Probably not on a Model 3 for some time.

Regarding the AWD, I wouldn't have bought my Model S without it in Michigan, unless you've got a backup car for snowy/slick days.

Regarding RWD in Michigan, I drove a BMW i3 for one winter and never had any issues driving it in snow or ice despite being RWD only. Since electric vehicles have a more equal weight distribution, you don't have the problem that ICE vehicles have with a lighter rear end. You also get better control at low speeds due to the instant torque of the electric motor. AWD provides more confidence, but so can traction control and a good set of winter tires.

Interesting. All of the coverage says it's illegal. E.g.:

Tesla opens gallery showroom in Nordstrom Troy store

Did something change that I missed? Or did Tesla find a loophole? :)

Ed: Aha, this must be the loophole: Tesla owners give test drives in Michigan circumventing the Tesla sales ban

Under Michigan law :
Act 300 of 1949 257.248:
"A person shall not carry on or conduct the business of buying, selling, brokering, leasing, negotiating a lease, or dealing in 5 or more vehicles of a type required to be titled under this act in a 12-month period unless the person obtains a dealer license from the secretary of state authorizing the carrying on or conducting of that business.

Act 118 of 1981 445.1574 Prohibited conduct by manufacturer. Sec. 14: (emphasis mine)
(1) A manufacturer shall not do any of the following:
(i) Sell any new motor vehicle directly to a retail customer other than through franchised dealers, unless the retail customer is a nonprofit organization or a federal, state, or local government or agency. This subdivision does not prohibit a manufacturer from providing information to a consumer for the purpose of marketing or facilitating the sale of new motor vehicles or from establishing a program to sell or offer to sell new motor vehicles through franchised new motor vehicle dealers that sell and service new motor vehicles produced by the manufacturer.

So test drives look legit, but no sales or leasing.

Full credit should last until middle of next year. Most people arent anticipating the 200k mark until January.

I agree that full credit should be through 2nd quarter, but, that won't be in the AWD delivery window for me as a non-owner. So, I guess I have to make the decision as to whether or not the lost tax credit money and the added cost of AWD is worth waiting for it. Purely cost wise, it is not worth the wait, but it really decreases my enthusiasm to even buy the car in RWD, as I surely don't need it, with 2 other RWD cars at my disposal already.

I agree that full credit should be through 2nd quarter, but, that won't be in the AWD delivery window for me as a non-owner. So, I guess I have to make the decision as to whether or not the lost tax credit money and the added cost of AWD is worth waiting for it. Purely cost wise, it is not worth the wait, but it really decreases my enthusiasm to even buy the car in RWD, as I surely don't need it, with 2 other RWD cars at my disposal already.

Yea. I've been doing pricing between a used MS AWD now vs a M3 with half tax credit.

One thing to consider regarding AWD versions RWD on the Tesla S is that the RWD version of the car was the most popular selling car in the country of Norway. That was before they even offered the AWD version. They get quite a bit of snow in Norway, so I think the 3, even with RWD only, will be able to handle our winters.

Also...from all reports that I've seen, the 3 drives quite a bit like the S. The 3 just does not have all the extra features that the S has in it. I think the driving electric experience is worth it as my MS does drive considerably different than any other car I've owned (with the regen breaking and such). There will be videos on YouTube very soon...so if you want to compare and contrast the S and the 3 it will only be a few weeks before you'll have information overload.

Also, from what I'm told by the folks who work in Troy, they are allowed to give "Demonstration" drives of their cars. They are not called "Test" drives. Semantics...apparently, but one is just fine whereas the other could be a problem. Perhaps when Tesla has their day in court they can get all of this sorted and finally be able to sell and service the cars here.

Oh, dang you're right, I forgot about how backwards Michigan's laws are :Þ They can't even discuss pricing. So depending what direction you're in, the nearest is either Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, or Toronto :(

As for the hot dogs, all I can say is I guess you don't like lamb ;) That's the main difference. As for me, I'm a vegetarian, so I can't comment from personal experience! We've got some great dairy, though! :)

Interesting, I love lamb... Oh well, Iceland was awesome despite the tubed meats, can't wait to go back

Anyone have any thoughts on AWD vs. RWD in MI? I have another winter vehicle (Ford Raptor), but I was really hoping I could drive this year round without having to worry about being stuck at Boyne if it happened to snow a lot.

We live in MI and have had RWD S for 3.5 years---no issues at all with snow tires on.