Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Registration Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies if this has been answered somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it when I searched:

I'm planning on going ahead with ordering my Model 3 in the very near future, and I was trying to get all the costs nailed down. When figuring out the delivery and registration process, I was referred to Tesla's call center, but it turns out that because of the fact that they can't sell in Michigan, they don't have what the registration fee would be in their spreadsheet. They encouraged me to go to the Secretary of State to get that information. Since I won't be able to get there and brave the lines until Monday, I went on the SOS website, only to find out that I can't get that information online without a VIN -- talk about chicken-and-egg! Would some Michigan Model 3 owner please kindly tell me how much the registration fee was?

An added bonus would be to know how much it costs to get an Ohio title, since if I take delivery in Ohio and drive back, they told me I'll have to get titled in Ohio and transfer it to Michigan. I know the Michigan title fee is $15 -- is the Ohio fee similarly benign?

Thanks in advance!

I bought a model S this past year. Michigan registration laws are terrible compared to others since we do not give the full value of the trade in toward tax. So for my scenario the MS was 83,050 and I traded in an old model S for 40,000. In Michigan I had to pay tax on (83,050 - 3,000)*6%=$4,803

Plate Fee Calculator - FeeCalculator
Department of State - Registration Fee Lookup Allows you to put a plate in and see the fee. Mine shows $386

I got my 3 in Jan and that is middle of the year so I paid a partial which was $294 for 6 months. Notice the non prorated amount. You pay the fee for electric even if it is 3 months or 3 days is my guess. I love talking about this crap tax. Oh we need to pay our fair share. Yeah so does the 18 wheeler that puts rock chips in my window. At least the ruts in the road were like autopilot before. Kept you in the lane until the rain came. Then hydroplane away....:mad:

Effective January 1, 2017, electric and hybrid passenger vehicle registrants will be required to pay 20% higher registration fees and an additional fee in the following amounts:

● Electric vehicles pay an added $135 (not prorated): $100 electric fee + $35 electric gasoline tax fee = $135

● Hybrid vehicles pay an added $47 (not prorated): $30 hybrid fee + $17 hybrid gasoline tax fee = $47

An electric vehicle is defined as one propelled solely by electrical energy and is not capable of using gasoline, diesel, or another fuel for propulsion. Vehicles fall within this definition because its power train is exclusively electric. As an example, a vehicle with a gas engine which does not propel the wheels but only powers the generator for the electric motor(s) to power the wheels meets the definition of an electrical vehicle.

Long story made short for me is the following:

I am leaving this state in 7 years. Other states want me more.

@mongo Thanks for getting the blood boiling before I go for my run. Still a bit chilly outside.:p

Section 257.801(1)(p) of the vehicle code specifies the base registration fees and (7)-(8) specifies the EV fee.

From that, here's what I calculated vs. what I actually paid:
upload_2018-4-21_13-56-42.png

Formula for 2017+ base registration:
Code:
=ROUND(ROUND(ROUND((40+6*(69-6))*0.9)*0.9)*0.9)+2.25+5.75
That's 90% the previous year's base fee until the fourth year, after which it's consistant. The 69 is from the base price of my car ($69,900).

Formula for EV fee:
Code:
=100+(5*(ROUNDDOWN(26.3)-19))
26.3 is the current gas tax, per Section 207.1008.

I haven't renewed for 2018 yet and the registration fee lookup matches exactly what was calculated. Given the history of actual fee being higher than the calculation, I suspect this year may also end up higher, though it's entirely possible my formula for prior years is wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: physicsfita
Plate Fee Calculator - FeeCalculator
Department of State - Registration Fee Lookup Allows you to put a plate in and see the fee. Mine shows $386

I got my 3 in Jan and that is middle of the year so I paid a partial which was $294 for 6 months. Notice the non prorated amount. You pay the fee for electric even if it is 3 months or 3 days is my guess. I love talking about this crap tax. Oh we need to pay our fair share. Yeah so does the 18 wheeler that puts rock chips in my window. At least the ruts in the road were like autopilot before. Kept you in the lane until the rain came. Then hydroplane away....:mad:

Effective January 1, 2017, electric and hybrid passenger vehicle registrants will be required to pay 20% higher registration fees and an additional fee in the following amounts:

● Electric vehicles pay an added $135 (not prorated): $100 electric fee + $35 electric gasoline tax fee = $135

● Hybrid vehicles pay an added $47 (not prorated): $30 hybrid fee + $17 hybrid gasoline tax fee = $47

An electric vehicle is defined as one propelled solely by electrical energy and is not capable of using gasoline, diesel, or another fuel for propulsion. Vehicles fall within this definition because its power train is exclusively electric. As an example, a vehicle with a gas engine which does not propel the wheels but only powers the generator for the electric motor(s) to power the wheels meets the definition of an electrical vehicle.

Long story made short for me is the following:

I am leaving this state in 7 years. Other states want me more.

@mongo Thanks for getting the blood boiling before I go for my run. Still a bit chilly outside.:p
Thank you! That’s less than I calculated when I tried to make sense of the SoS website. Finally, a bit of good news!

My apologies if this has been answered somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it when I searched:

I'm planning on going ahead with ordering my Model 3 in the very near future, and I was trying to get all the costs nailed down. When figuring out the delivery and registration process, I was referred to Tesla's call center, but it turns out that because of the fact that they can't sell in Michigan, they don't have what the registration fee would be in their spreadsheet. They encouraged me to go to the Secretary of State to get that information. Since I won't be able to get there and brave the lines until Monday, I went on the SOS website, only to find out that I can't get that information online without a VIN -- talk about chicken-and-egg! Would some Michigan Model 3 owner please kindly tell me how much the registration fee was?

An added bonus would be to know how much it costs to get an Ohio title, since if I take delivery in Ohio and drive back, they told me I'll have to get titled in Ohio and transfer it to Michigan. I know the Michigan title fee is $15 -- is the Ohio fee similarly benign?

Thanks in advance!
Hopefully you can transfer a plate for your new car.... that will cost you a lot less than registration for the first year

For Michigan, your registration fee's are based on the MSRP for the Car... I purchased a Model S in April 2017, I transferred the plate from my Audi on $15.. My new registration cost for 2018 was ~$652 the spreadsheet is on the Michigan SOS site... Of course the base value of a MS is $75K, so that affects the number quite a bit, along with the new road tax that add's a 20% increase on the registration fee

• Informative

This makes me crazy. Some reasonable states in the country promote EVs with tax incentives. Michigan specifically penalizes EV buyers with additional tax. I've taken to calling this the "Michigan clean vehicle penalty". The argument that we're paying our fair share is hollow, because hybrids and EVs cost more than their gassy counterparts, so we're already paying higher registration fees, which are based on the purchase price. The "fair share" is conveniently built in. The 2017 thing really is just a penalty.

This thread has reminded me of a concern I had regarding the "base price" used to calculate registration fees. I was under the impression that the price used to calculate the registration fees should be the base MSRP without options of the car. However, the paperwork Tesla provided for my Model X (nearly 2 years ago now) only listed the actual purchase price, which was subsequently what the SOS used to price my registration. Is this consistent with other people's experience, or have I been paying more than I should be?

• Informative
This thread has reminded me of a concern I had regarding the "base price" used to calculate registration fees. I was under the impression that the price used to calculate the registration fees should be the base MSRP without options of the car. However, the paperwork Tesla provided for my Model X (nearly 2 years ago now) only listed the actual purchase price, which was subsequently what the SOS used to price my registration. Is this consistent with other people's experience, or have I been paying more than I should be?
Good to know! I’ll make sure to ask the people in Cleveland to provide something stating that the base price is 35k b

@physicsfita I live in Michigan and am getting a Model 3. I will be picking it up in Cleveland. Have you received you Model 3 yet?
Did you get a base price document from them?
Did you have to pay Michigan sales tax on the vehicle AND Ohio sales tax?
Thanks in advance for any info!!

@physicsfita I live in Michigan and am getting a Model 3. I will be picking it up in Cleveland. Have you received you Model 3 yet?
Did you get a base price document from them?
Did you have to pay Michigan sales tax on the vehicle AND Ohio sales tax?

I'm curious about sales tax as well. My "$35,000 Model 3" actually came to $59,500 and I'm afraid of the registration fee on that.

I'm curious about sales tax as well. My "$35,000 Model 3" actually came to $59,500 and I'm afraid of the registration fee on that.
Sales tax is the same as most everything else at 6%. So, that's $3,570 sales tax for a total of $63,070, provided the price you gave includes reservation/order fee (which goes towards the cost of the car).

If Tesla somehow gets away with calling $35,000 the base price even though it's not available yet, registration should be $208 for the base registration plus $135 for the EV fee and $15 for title, for a total of $358, not including other fees like plate. I could be a bit off, especially if the base price is higher. Just add $6 for every $1000 and that should get you pretty close.

The big hit, and I hope you've considered it, is insurance. That is likely to cost over $2000/year. It shouldn't be as bad as my first year, which was over $4000 (quoted from several insurers) and I couldn't figure out why.

Last edited: