Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also did some looking into the Meijer locations near Grand Rapids for potential Supercharger permits. There are three potential locations I identified, but two showed no recent permit applications and the other is in a city that does not post permit information online that I could find.

1997 E Beltline Ave NE, Grand Rapids
One electrical permit from February, not charger related, already finaled
Likelihood: Low - no convenient access to I-96, but many shops and restaurants nearby

3757 Plainfield Ave NE, Plainfield Township
No permits since 2013
Likelihood: Moderate - within 1 mile of I-96, not many dining options but lots of exposure to nearby car dealers

2425 Alpine Ave NW, Walker
Permits not available online
Likelihood: High - convenient direct access to both I-96 and US-131, several fast food restaurants within walking distance

The Meijer on Alpine Road is also 97 miles from the Meijer in Cadillac (and a straight shot up 131).

I will be very surprised if that permit is for Tesla. Several Meijers in the area have a few 240V chargers.
View attachment 78920

Meijer at Warren, MI:
View attachment 78921
After giving it more thought I'm hoping you are right and this is all the permit is for. The Meijer on Jackson Rd would be a much better location. The Pittsfield location is only good for east-west traffic on I-94. There's no easy access to M-14 or the northern section of US-23 without a lot of backtracking or driving on surface streets. The Jackson Rd location solves both these problems by being west of the M-14 interchange.

Scio Township doesn't appear to have online building permits either, which will make it more difficult to track. Perhaps we could start scouting for signs of activity.

I also did some looking into the Meijer locations near Grand Rapids for potential Supercharger permits. There are three potential locations I identified, but two showed no recent permit applications and the other is in a city that does not post permit information online that I could find.

1997 E Beltline Ave NE, Grand Rapids
One electrical permit from February, not charger related, already finaled
Likelihood: Low - no convenient access to I-96, but many shops and restaurants nearby

3757 Plainfield Ave NE, Plainfield Township
No permits since 2013
Likelihood: Moderate - within 1 mile of I-96, not many dining options but lots of exposure to nearby car dealers

2425 Alpine Ave NW, Walker
Permits not available online
Likelihood: High - convenient direct access to both I-96 and US-131, several fast food restaurants within walking distance
There is also the Meijer right off I-96 at 5531 28th St SE, Grand Rapids. I believe the likelihood of this location would be high as well due to it's proximity to I-96 and with eating establishments near by.

Love it. I sat in that exact parking lot last September waiting for a friend to get home. Beats L2 charging in the municipal garages.

I agree. This addresses the East/West I94 Travel. Next year's Bay City location will address North/South Travel (on the East Side of the state). The Ann Arbor, Lansing [2016], Bay City [2016], Port Huron [2016], Maumee (Ohio) locations should address all travel for the East Side of Michigan. For the West side of Michigan: Lansing [2016], Grand Rapids, St. Joe, Cadillac [Fall 2015], and potentially another location will cover the West Side of Michigan. Also, a Gaylord location would round out the lower peninsula.

I agree. This addresses the East/West I94 Travel. Next year's Bay City location will address North/South Travel (on the East Side of the state). The Ann Arbor, Lansing [2016], Bay City [2016], Port Huron [2016], Maumee (Ohio) locations should address all travel for the East Side of Michigan. For the West side of Michigan: Lansing [2016], Grand Rapids, St. Joe, Cadillac [Fall 2015], and potentially another location will cover the West Side of Michigan. Also, a Gaylord location would round out the lower peninsula.
They still need to add one in between Ann Arbor and St. Joseph on I-94. The current plan is fine if you are going all the way to Chicago, but if you are wanting to do a round trip to the Kalamazoo or Battle Creek area from Detroit you're out of luck without destination charging.

They still need to add one in between Ann Arbor and St. Joseph on I-94. The current plan is fine if you are going all the way to Chicago, but if you are wanting to do a round trip to the Kalamazoo or Battle Creek area from Detroit you're out of luck without destination charging.

Lots of destination charging in Kalamazoo, not so much in Battle Creek. It's 160 mile or so RT Ann Arbor to Battle Creek so certainly doable assuming you don't have to do an enormous amount of driving at your destination. And that you don't succumb to the temptation of driving 85 mph on 94. If you want to do Detroit-->Battle Creek-->Ann Arbor without a stop then there might be some challenges, particularly in the winter.

Honestly, I do 170 mile one way trips to Boston, destination charge, and return on the same day at least once a month.

I forgot about that. Good catch. Ideally would be to have a location at the I94 / 69 junction (due north of Angola). But there were no options when discussed. As of today, It's most likely going to be at Fire Keepers.

Excited for the A2 supercharger! We live in Chicago and have family in the Detroit area. Trip is a bit tough to make in the Tesla right now. We are coming May 30 but I think we will need to bring our other car - it's just a short trip and we don't have time to wait at an L2 charger. Hopefully the new supercharger will be open before our next trip!

Excited for the A2 supercharger! We live in Chicago and have family in the Detroit area. Trip is a bit tough to make in the Tesla right now.

My daughter lives in Cary, IL about an hour N/W of Chicago and I've done the trip to/from Toronto via Detroit. At the time of my last trip, there were no Superchargers between Toronto and Detroit, so I stayed in Windsor both ways to charge overnight. I found in my S85 I could make it from her place to Angola, IN and then from there to Windsor quite easily. On the first trip I stopped at Angola, Mishawaka and Aurora just to be safe.

Excited for the A2 supercharger! We live in Chicago and have family in the Detroit area. Trip is a bit tough to make in the Tesla right now. We are coming May 30 but I think we will need to bring our other car - it's just a short trip and we don't have time to wait at an L2 charger. Hopefully the new supercharger will be open before our next trip!

Can't you just hop along the SCs on I-80 to Maumee, OH and then head up to Detroit? Or even head north out of Angola on I-69 and then head east on US-12?

Can't you just hop along the SCs on I-80 to Maumee, OH and then head up to Detroit? Or even head north out of Angola on I-69 and then head east on US-12?

I found US-12 a little slow with all the towns to go through. It is a very pleasant drive, though. I've taken to heading up I-69 from Angola to 60 then across to the Jackson area where I pick up I-94. It seems a little faster to me, and I can easily make it to Windsor/Detroit going that way.

Michigan will have 10 supercharger locations in the state, 11 if you include Toledo :wink: [For people unfamiliar to this matter, see Michigan-Ohio War]. Below is the link which overlays US map on Tesla's blank map to get some idea on where superchargers will be in Michigan. Below is the list of all locations where superchargers are expected. We will keep it updated as new locations open up. Update us with your experience at a supercharger and we will change the list accordingly.

Supercharger Overlay 2015 (Large - 5145 x 3308))
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 142
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 141

View attachment 36741

Three online, I wonder the likelihood of these originally planned locations coming online over the next couple years.

I-75 corridor: Saginaw, Gaylord
I-94 corridor: Ann Arbor, Jackson, Battle Creek, St Joseph
I-96 corridor: Lansing, Grand Rapids, Muskegon
US-31 corridor: St Joseph, Muskegon, Ludington, Traverse City
US-131 corridor: Grand Rapids, Big Rapids

"probably"? "next few months?"

Nothing more definite??? I'm crying myself to sleep until this one is open. . . .

It will be open by Fall. Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids were scheduled for "Summer." The problem with definitive time lines is Tesla is always dependent on the utility. If DTE would have a transformer in Ann Arbor, it would have opened last week.