Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving in Michigan sucks. The roads are so bad, its like a war zone. Yet no one wanted to pay an increase in taxes to help fix the roads. Dummies.
Imagine how I feel about it. As a teenager I had a summer job helping to build I-69 from the Michigan State line to I-94. Back then we thought Michigan was advanced in technology, education and infrastructure. Sad so see all those dreams died. OTOH, my Michigan small village high school education was as good as it gets. I am thankful for all that and for my Federal and State aid that paid for most of my eduction through to PhD. It is really sad to see those dreams inaccessible to poor people today.

At least there are Superchargers even if buying a Tesla makes one jump through hoops.

[QUOTE="jbcarioca, post: 1984383, member: 32196"

At least there are Superchargers even if buying a Tesla makes one jump through hoops.[/QUOTE]

Is Michigan one of those crazy states that doesn't allow direct sales? That's the kind of attitude that let the auto unions crush the companies.

As a Battle Creek resident I am super interested in the apparent Battle Creek location on the 2017 supercharger map. Does anyone have any clue where it might be located? I am hoping since Tesla installs them in Meijer parking lots that it will go up at the Harper Village Meijer

Is Michigan one of those crazy states that doesn't allow direct sales? That's the kind of attitude that let the auto unions crush the companies.
I don't understand how the unions come into it, but yes, Michigan doesn't allow direct sales. The law was specifically amended (2014 HB 5606) for that purpose. As an extra-special bonus they also made sure Tesla can't build service centers. To protect the consumer.

Any rumors, whispers on a Lansing/East Lansing location. Was hoping for one before the end of the MSU spring semester. Not going to happen. Now hopefully one before my sons fall semester begins. Would make it easier to get from Chicago to MSU and back.

I'm traveling to Lansing-East Lansing 5/24-27 to cheer my grandson on when he competes in the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals. The only public Tesla HPWC listed is in a ramp garage in East Lansing! There is a Blink charger near my hotel in Lansing so I might have to pay their inflated rates to keep the car charged during our stay. From what I read in the Plugshare comments, the chargers at Spartan Stadium are even more outrageously priced. I'm hoping there is an accessible outlet I can use at our hotel. Central Michigan does not seem to be very EV friendly. Are there no Tesla owners in the Lansing area? I listed my HPWC on Plugshare back in 2014 when I got my Model S and before there was a Supercharger in the Buffalo area. Was actually kind of fun to host fellow Tesla early adopters who needed a charge. If there are any Tesla owners in the area willing to help me juice up please drop me a line.

I'm traveling to Lansing-East Lansing 5/24-27 to cheer my grandson on when he competes in the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals. The only public Tesla HPWC listed is in a ramp garage in East Lansing! There is a Blink charger near my hotel in Lansing so I might have to pay their inflated rates to keep the car charged during our stay. From what I read in the Plugshare comments, the chargers at Spartan Stadium are even more outrageously priced. I'm hoping there is an accessible outlet I can use at our hotel. Central Michigan does not seem to be very EV friendly. Are there no Tesla owners in the Lansing area? I listed my HPWC on Plugshare back in 2014 when I got my Model S and before there was a Supercharger in the Buffalo area. Was actually kind of fun to host fellow Tesla early adopters who needed a charge. If there are any Tesla owners in the area willing to help me juice up please drop me a line.

Can't guarantee it will be open, but this one is free to get to inside a parking structure off of 127. I sometimes hit it when I'm in east lansing - it's only about 10 min away on the highway. Note says it's 80 amps. There's a mall that's about a 5 min walk away with restaurants/shops. while you wait.

Eastwood Towne Center | Lansing, MI | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Can't guarantee it will be open, but this one is free to get to inside a parking structure off of 127. I sometimes hit it when I'm in east lansing - it's only about 10 min away on the highway. Note says it's 80 amps. There's a mall that's about a 5 min walk away with restaurants/shops. while you wait.

Eastwood Towne Center | Lansing, MI | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

This is what we use when we visit/pickup our son who goes to MSU. There are other non Tesla chargers in the garage as well. A Hyatt Place is attached to the garage and a Fairfield Inn is very close in the mall parking lot. Lots of restaurants,shopping and a movie theater. Knock on wood it has always been available when we visited.

We have also charged at Spartan Stadium (Level 2). Parking free when you use the chargers. Although parking is usually free unless a big event going on. Also 1 Level 2 charger inside the Kellog Hotel and Conference Center. That is free, but parking isnt. Also says limit of 4 hours I believe. Finally at the Marriott in East Lansing there is a clipper creek charger. We used it 2 years ago when my son visited.

Last edited:
This is what we use when we visit/pickup our son who goes to MSU. There are other non Tesla chargers in the garage as well. A Hyatt Place is attached to the garage and a Fairfield Inn is very close in the mall parking lot. Lots of restaurants,shopping and a movie theater. Knock on wood it has always been available when we visited.

We have also charged at Spartan Stadium (Level 2). Parking free when you use the chargers. Although parking is usually free unless a big event going on. Also 1 Level 2 charger inside the Kellog Hotel and Conference Center. That is free, but parking isnt. Also says limit of 4 hours I believe. Finally at the Marriott in East Lansing there is a clipper creek charger. We used it 2 years ago when my son visited.
Thanks. I will check them out.

I go to Lansing all the time and prefer the 80 AMP HPWC at Hyatt Place on Lake Lansing road and stay there most often It is on the second floor north of the parking garage. There are some nice restaurants in the nearby shopping center so you can stop for an hour or so and pick up some range while dining. It will charge at a rate of about 52 miles of range per charging hour. The Level II charger at the Kellogg center is fine too but much slower....19 miles of range per charging hour. They do not seem to enforce the four hour limit as I have charged there overnight several times.

New locations for 2017, as announced yesterday. Livonia will be a nice addition.
18009990_829554197220992_8355313306905744721_n.png

Reactions: Jim MacInnes
This isn't necessarily a supercharger, as the location seems unlikely to begin with and it's not on the Coming Soon list, but I thought this report was interesting:

A fleet of Tesla electric vehicles may soon be coming to Northport. That, at least, is the hope of some Village Council members, who want to install a Tesla Electric Vehicle (EV) charging station in a village municipal parking lot on Waukazoo Street.

Have there been installations of HPWCs at muncipal parking lots? The village council agenda mentions an EV charging station but not specifically Tesla. I'm not a subscriber to the Leelanau News and the minutes of the June 1st Village Council meeting aren't available yet, so I can't find more details, but this might be worth a follow-up later.

This isn't necessarily a supercharger, as the location seems unlikely to begin with and it's not on the Coming Soon list, but I thought this report was interesting:

Have there been installations of HPWCs at muncipal parking lots? The village council agenda mentions an EV charging station but not specifically Tesla. I'm not a subscriber to the Leelanau News and the minutes of the June 1st Village Council meeting aren't available yet, so I can't find more details, but this might be worth a follow-up later.
Wow, Northport. That doesn't actually sound all that useful, but maybe it will shame Glen Arbor or Empire into following suit. I assume TC already has some? I wonder if Mario Batali still has a place up there, maybe owns an EV, and had any influence on this?