Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously an odd layout and confusing for people use to looking for an every other pedestal charging situation so you are on a unique number.

Unfortunately I can tell you from first hand experience that assuming the pedestal pairing configuration can't really be taken for granted. Basically what I'm saying is that it varies wildly all around the country.

At some point all that will be installed are Urban and V3 and those will be easy, as there is no pairing on those locations, but these legacy sites are still going to require a quick look before you back in.

Unfortunately I can tell you from first hand experience that assuming the pedestal pairing configuration can't really be taken for granted. Basically what I'm saying is that it varies wildly all around the country.
I've been to over 100 Superchaging stations and I think something like 97% of them are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc configurations. The one I mentioned above with a *mixed* is pretty unique. It really appears that 4A and 4B were put in after the fact or some one screwed up the wiring being pulled so had to label them as-is. It is a good location. Not sure what % are locals vs travelers.

I've been to over 100 Superchaging stations and I think something like 97% of them are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc configurations. The one I mentioned above with a *mixed* is pretty unique. It really appears that 4A and 4B were put in after the fact or some one screwed up the wiring being pulled so had to label them as-is. It is a good location. Not sure what % are locals vs travelers.
It's more like 90%.

For some reason, in the early days they tended to set them up 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B. Don't ask me why. There are also sites with an odd number of stalls. Always nice to be able to plug into 3A when there is no 3B :)

Reactions: IT Geek
It's more like 90%.
For some reason, in the early days they tended to set them up 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B. Don't ask me why. There are also sites with an odd number of stalls. Always nice to be able to plug into 3A when there is no 3B :)
Thanks for the confirmation that is an exceedingly high percentage. It is/was way for people (newbies and OGs alike) to just pick 'every other stall' for Supercharger v1 and v2 which is still by far the majorities. It is super odd that the one in question has a mixture of the two.

What makes more sense would be for Tesla to indicate when you are within 100 yards/meters of the Supercharge to indicate the top 2 choices for pedestals to plug into to get you the maximum kW based on the pairings being used, the existing pairs charge level, and your charge level.

The St. Joseph Supercharger is listed as “150kW” on Tesla.com, Plugshare, and ABRP. But I think this is incorrect.

In contrast, Supercharge.info has it listed as 120kW, and none of the (many) user check-ins on Plugshare report a charge rate over 120kW.

Can anyone who uses this SC regularly confirm of its actually a “120kW” SC?

The St. Joseph Supercharger is listed as “150kW” on Tesla.com, Plugshare, and ABRP. But I think this is incorrect.

In contrast, Supercharge.info has it listed as 120kW, and none of the (many) user check-ins on Plugshare report a charge rate over 120kW.

The Nav system says it’s 120kW as well.

It is only 120... and you're lucky if you get that sometimes. The new 250 kW location will be a welcome addition.

• Helpful
Reactions: jsmay311
Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 9.44.59 AM.png