Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV show at 10th Annual Michigan Beer and Brat Festival

There will be an EV show as part of the 10th Annual Michigan Beer Brat Festival over Memorial Day weekend. There will be at least two Tesla's there along with a variety of EV's from other manufacturers. It is open to the public. There are two 80 AMP HPWC's for easy charging. It is a very fun event with about 2500 people attending on Saturday afternoon. Cars will be parked on the back lawn adjacent to the festival area.

10th Annual Michigan Beer & Brat Festival

http://www.crystalmountain.com/events/beerfest

Date: Saturday - May 23, 2015

VIP Access: 3-4pm
Beer and Brat Festival: 4-8pm

Kick off the summer with this Memorial Day weekend tradition at Crystal Mountain. Enjoy live entertainment from Sweetwater Blues Band and The RockShow Band while sampling over 75 of Michigan's finest microbrews, local hard cider and mead, and gourmet brats from northwest Michigan markets. Held outdoors, slopeside.

There will be an EV show as part of the 10th Annual Michigan Beer Brat Festival over Memorial Day weekend. There will be at least two Tesla's there along with a variety of EV's from other manufacturers. It is open to the public. There are two 80 AMP HPWC's for easy charging. It is a very fun event with about 2500 people attending on Saturday afternoon. Cars will be parked on the back lawn adjacent to the festival area.

10th Annual Michigan Beer & Brat Festival

http://www.crystalmountain.com/events/beerfest

Date: Saturday - May 23, 2015

VIP Access: 3-4pm
Beer and Brat Festival: 4-8pm

Kick off the summer with this Memorial Day weekend tradition at Crystal Mountain. Enjoy live entertainment from Sweetwater Blues Band and The RockShow Band while sampling over 75 of Michigan's finest microbrews, local hard cider and mead, and gourmet brats from northwest Michigan markets. Held outdoors, slopeside.

If you would like to be a part of the the EV show please contact me. We would love to see a backyard full of Teslas and I am sure our 2500 festival attendees would too.

“Teslove” Event in St. Joseph, MI, Saturday and Sunday, May 16 - 17, 2015 (Update)

Hello Friends and fans,

Our friends from Minnesota are organizing a rally to St. Joseph Supercharger. Please read below or click the link for more details.

May 16 - Tesla Owners rally in St. Joseph, MI

Delivering on their promise from October, the Minnesota Renegades are once again exercising their rights of free speech and paying a visit to the great State of Michigan this Spring. They are looking for support from owners from our and other nearby states to join them for a day of community and discovery at their second club rally.

The good people of Michigan can test drive a Tesla (an American car) in Canada, but they can't test drive it in the state of Michigan. Direct sales are banned along with the stores or galleries. Yes, you can order online, but except for a few individuals, most first time buyers will not order any car (the second most expensive investment) without test driving or seeing the vehicle in person? The Tesla owners of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana will host a test ride event to share and promote an example of American ingenuity and engineering excellence with the residents of Michigan. Mark your calendars for May 16th and May 17th in St Joseph, Michigan at the Supercharging station, 3260 Niles Ave., St. Joseph, MI (across from Panera’s).

Summary:
Saturday, May 16, 2015
(approximately) 9:00am-5:00pm
Tesla Supercharger in St. Joseph, MI (near Panera Bread)

Additional Charging:
L2 - Benton Harbor (Whirlpool Corporation)
L2 - Buchanan, MI (Municipal)
L2 – South Haven, MI (Consumers Energy)

Hotels:
TMC members can contact View Profile: Vexar - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum privately for this information; they are pursuing a group rate.

Please note: this is organized by private owners and it is in no way supported, staffed, or sponsored by Tesla Motors, in compliance with Michigan dealer laws. Permission was obtained from leadership of the Panera Bread franchise to hold the owners' rally. Please be considerate of restaurant patrons and park in back (by the superchargers).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla is getting some great publicity from this story about the purchase of a plant in the Grand Rapids area. Tesla agreed to purchase Riviera Tool, LLC on May 6. Apparently Michigan is part of the 60% of Tesla's manufacturing that comes from North America (per last night's earnings call). Wood TV has the details on Tesla's newest Michigan location http://woodtv.com/2015/05/06/tesla-motors-moving-into-kent-co-plant/.

Car is being built right now. Any advice from fellow SE Michigan owners with regards to registration/delivery? Any tips dealing with SOS and/or sales tax issue? Thanks!

You will have no issues. I picked mine up in Chicago on 12/30. You won't be able to register the vehicle in Michigan until Tesla sends you the final registration paperwork, which took about 2-3 weeks if I recall correctly. Once you have the paperwork, you can go to the DMV and register your car. In the meantime, you will give you a temporary license so you can drive the car. In regards to paying the taxes, it will depend upon if you take delivery in a state that has a reciprocal tax agreement with Michigan. If it's a state with a reciprocal agreement, the Tesla center will collect the tax and you won't have to pay it when you register the vehicle in Michigan. Otherwise, if it's not a reciprocal agreement state, you will have to pay the tax at the time of the registration. It's really relatively straight-forward. Now, for the most important part - welcome to the Tesla family! You are not going to regret it. Best car ever, not that I am biased or anything. :smile:

Car is being built right now. Any advice from fellow SE Michigan owners with regards to registration/delivery? Any tips dealing with SOS and/or sales tax issue? Thanks!
Congrats and welcome!

If you haven't, take a look at this for a helpful delivery checklist and other tips: Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide

Your car will most likely come in a large covered multi-car carrier, so you will probably want to have it delivered to a nearby parking lot that you're sure has enough empty space for the truck to maneuver and unload. You would talk with the truck driver to arrange precise time and location.

It will be delivered with a temporary Ohio tag good for about 30 days, which is plenty of time while you wait for the paperwork to arrive. I got the paperwork fairly quickly and titled/registered exactly one week after delivery. The Michigan tag is good for another 30 days. I left both tags on just in case the Michigan tag detached from the window (which it did once), but had I known the "Zero Emissions" placeholder was under the Ohio tag, I might have removed the tag. The plate arrived 2 1/2 weeks after registration.

When you go to the SOS, you will need to pay 6% sales tax and about $450 for the registration fee. In my case, I financed through my credit union and they provided the tax check. I had to get cash from a nearby ATM to pay the registration fee since they couldn't take check or credit for that.

Of course, this is all based on my experience a year ago and some things may be a little different for you.

Michigan Electric Auto Association Summer Events

Michigan Electric Auto Association​ has planned multiple events for this summer. Please fill out the form below if you would like to participate.

MEAA Event Signup

The Michigan Renewable Energy Fair - 2015

Great Lakes Renewable Energy Association (GLREA) has invited Michigan Tesla Club to Michigan Renewable Energy Fair to showcase the vehicle and educate the audience about electric cars. There will be food, music and plenty of activities. Michigan Electric Auto Association will also be present.

This fair is a must attend event for a green energy enthusiast. This is a great platform for us to generate public support for Tesla in Michigan.

Contact Dave Konkle: [email protected], 734-323-2828

http://www.2glrea.org/energyfair

The Michigan Renewable Energy Fair is the largest renewable energy event held in Michigan every year. The 16th annual Fair to be held at Ingham County Fairgrounds June 26-27, will bring the businesses that sell or manufacture renewable energy equipment in Michigan together with the businesses that design and install renewable energy systems for residential and commercial customers, together with the policy makers, educators and organizations that promote renewable energy in Michigan and invites the public to come to see and learn about renewable energy.

Saturday, June 27th is designated “Public Day”, where everyone is invited to come and learn about renewable energy, see demonstration systems in operation and gets hands-on exposure to renewable energy technologies. The fairground pavilion will be full of booths with vendors of all types of renewable energy equipment and services including solar, wind, geothermal, renewable energy in agriculture, wood burners and more. Non-profit organizations will be there to show you how to get more involved in supporting renewable energy in your community. A children’s activities center will provide fun and educational activities for the young ones. Seminars will be running all day long. “Ask the Expert” sessions will present the nuts and bolts of solar, wind and geothermal systems, with opportunities to ask an expert about what may be right for you or how to best maintain that new solar energy system you just bought.

The Michigan Energy Fair wraps up Saturday evening with the very popular “Renewable Energy Banquet” which will feature good food and drink, live music and a chance to let your hair down and get to know the people who are working hard to grow renewable energy right here in Michigan.

I just got my 85D on Wednesday... It was a painful experience waiting for it specially when it gets to the part of shipping to Ohio. My sales guy said it goes by train to Chicago then by truck to Columbus then by car carrier to my home (1-2 weeks). Mine was delivered by Tommy and he was great because not only did he bring it in a covered carrier so it did not have a smudge or bug on it. He also spend a 30-45 minutes going through all the features and controls. Be prepared to be a little kid on Christmas day :)

I just got my 85D on Wednesday... It was a painful experience waiting for it specially when it gets to the part of shipping to Ohio. My sales guy said it goes by train to Chicago then by truck to Columbus then by car carrier to my home (1-2 weeks). Mine was delivered by Tommy and he was great because not only did he bring it in a covered carrier so it did not have a smudge or bug on it. He also spend a 30-45 minutes going through all the features and controls. Be prepared to be a little kid on Christmas day :)

Congrats!

Hey! I've been searching the forum a bit, and can't seem to find anything on any "Tesla Meetup" for this year's Woodward Dream Cruise (2015). Does anyone have any insight...know of any plans to get some Teslas together to "cruise"? Also, we live close to Woodward and Square Lake if anyone needs to charge during the cruise.

One spot just opened up :( Some idiot backed into my driver's side today...safe to say my "beauty" is headed to Cleveland (Suburban Collision Center in Berea, OH) once insurance figures out who's paying for the transport:/ There is a HOLE in my driver's side door.
Does anyone local have any experience with "bodywork" on their Model S? Everyone keeps saying "in the end it's just a car, and all that matters is you're safe!"...yes that is true...BUT, holy smokes this hurts lol! I JUST had it detailed, and the Opti coat Pro was looking AMAZING! As good as it did when I had it applied in January! Anyways, thanks for the therapy session...I needed it ;P This is a feeling only other Tesla owners can understand. See you on Saturday!