Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are almost 1,000 owners in Michigan.
Wow, really? That would mean either the articles I've read were using outdated information or there has been a massive boom in sales over the past few months. Source?

The most recent Electrek article to mention registration numbers was on December 20 where they said "The automaker claimed that local dealers and GM were behind the direct sale law used to deny Tesla access to its more than 400 customers in Michigan". While not technically wrong if it really is almost 1000, it's clear that whatever source they used didn't indicate near 1000.

Wow, really? That would mean either the articles I've read were using outdated information or there has been a massive boom in sales over the past few months. Source?

The most recent Electrek article to mention registration numbers was on December 20 where they said "The automaker claimed that local dealers and GM were behind the direct sale law used to deny Tesla access to its more than 400 customers in Michigan". While not technically wrong if it really is almost 1000, it's clear that whatever source they used didn't indicate near 1000.
The 400 number dates back to 2015 when the direct sale law was first passed. I could certainly believe that number has expanded to 1000 in the year plus since. I do see other Teslas much more often than I used to, in both the S and X variety.

The 400 number dates back to 2015 when the direct sale law was first passed. I could certainly believe that number has expanded to 1000 in the year plus since. I do see other Teslas much more often than I used to, in both the S and X variety.
Well, let's look at a bunch of other reports that I found:

In January 2014, Edmonds said 100-400 by November 2013.
In October 2014, Detroit News and Forbes said 50, while Detroit Free Press, USA Today, and InsideEVs said 100.
In August 2015, Detroit News and Detroit Free Press said more than 270, Green Car Reports said Tesla thinks it's closer to 300.
In November 2015, Hartford Courant said 400.
Looks like Electrek just said "more than 400" since they knew it was old data and didn't want to give a wrong estimate.

I made a similar post on Reddit back in 2015 (some of which I copied here) where I estimated 500-1000 based on my sightings, which I recognized to likely be inaccurate. So yeah, I guess I forgot that the 400 number was that old, let alone how many I thought there were over a year ago.

Extrapolating from the data with a very rough graph, slightly diverging from some of the reports to get a smoother line and accounting for the expected growth, I figure the current number is probably pretty close to 1000, as you said.

tesla_michigan_registrations_estimate_chart.png

Reactions: turbospecc
I'm starting a Tesla forum for Michigan-based owners and fans. There's always a ton of questions from prospective buyers around purchasing and servicing the cars here, so I'm hoping this will be a place for us to share our buying and ownership experiences with other MI residents who are interested in the brand. I'd also love to organize a meet-up this spring/summer, if there is interest.

Check it out at and post a quick intro here http://michiganteslaforum.boards.net/thread/4/official-post-ride-thread !

The Great Lakes Renewable Energy Fair in Traverse City is looking for EV owners who can come and talk to people and show their cars Sunday June 25, 9-4. The GLREA Energy Fair will be held at Aero Park Laboratories in Traverse City. Sorry for the lack of details, but that is all |I have. I have agreed to show my Model X and will be there if anyone wants to join me. Perhaps we can jump start the TC Super Charger. Link: Fairs & Activities Contact Jeremy Orr <[email protected]> for more info

I live in Farmington Hills, MI. Just bought my 2014 Model S P85. Wondering how the battery does in the winter? I've noticed slow start up on the main dash screen in cold weather - about 10 seconds, is that pretty normal?

Cold weather does indeed have a significant impact on battery performance. Or perhaps a more accurate way to say that is that a cold battery has a significant impact...

You can expect to use more energy from the battery until it warms up. So that will reduce your overall range on the car when the battery is cold. Also, the energy for using the heater and the heated seats has to come from the battery so that will also decrease your potential range. But...for a long road trip...once the battery has warmed up things start to normalize.

For example, yesterday I drove back home from Bay City. I charged up at dinner the night before and parked my car outside in the hotel parking lot. After I left Bay City the battery was quite cold and initially on the highway I was using 400-500 watt hours per mile at 75mph. But after about a half-hour of driving the battery was fully warmed up so my usage dropped down to under 300 while keeping the same speed and still having the heater and the seats on.

On shorter trips the battery will not likely have enough time to warm up...so those will just flat out use more energy. Also a cold battery does not regen as much (or sometimes at all). So braking will feel different.

The advice would be to pre-heat the car while it is still plugged in...or to schedule your overnight charging so that it finishes closer to when you need to start driving again (ether by changing the start time...or reducing the amps going in to the car).

The touchscreen on my car does not take that long to start up, but I have a 2017 car so I don't know if they are the same or vastly different. There are some power-saving settings that might be at work as well. Those are configurable...but again, pre-heating the car will generally make it so that all the systems fire up quicker when you get in the vehicle.

I'm a MBA student at the University of Michigan (and Model 3 owner) doing some research around the BEV ownership experience. I have a quick 5-minute survey I'm hoping members here can fill out to help with the research: Electric Vehicle (EV) Driver Survey

Thank you!
It is funny I helped my friend did a survey, who is in Ross as well. Maybe you guys know each other.
I already did yours, glad to help a EV fella.