Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One spot just opened up :( Some idiot backed into my driver's side today...safe to say my "beauty" is headed to Cleveland (Suburban Collision Center in Berea, OH) once insurance figures out who's paying for the transport:/ There is a HOLE in my driver's side door.
Does anyone local have any experience with "bodywork" on their Model S? Everyone keeps saying "in the end it's just a car, and all that matters is you're safe!"...yes that is true...BUT, holy smokes this hurts lol! I JUST had it detailed, and the Opti coat Pro was looking AMAZING! As good as it did when I had it applied in January! Anyways, thanks for the therapy session...I needed it ;P This is a feeling only other Tesla owners can understand. See you on Saturday!

Autometric in Bloomfield Hills (re: Pontiac) will be able to take care of you locally. In fact, they would be the only body shop I would have work on my Model S (and I recommend you do the same if Cleveland does not take care of it).

Autometric in Bloomfield Hills (re: Pontiac) will be able to take care of you locally. In fact, they would be the only body shop I would have work on my Model S (and I recommend you do the same if Cleveland does not take care of it).

I completely agree with you about Autometric (Pontiac). We've had a good experience there as well with body work on our 2009 Smart. It turns out insurance is willing to cover getting the car to Cleveland, and because the extent of the damage is kind of severe, we're opting to go with the "Tesla Approved" body shop. I called over to Autometric, and they've only dealt with a few Model S's (she said less than 5). This situation less than favorable no matter which way we do it, so I'll go with the guy that has 11 Teslas in his shop right now :) Michigan just needs to get it together and let Tesla "in"...this is ridiculous!

Hi MI Tesla folks! My first post to the forum. Want to let you know about and invite you to an event in Lansing on Sunday. We're holding a "pop-up" auto show for Nat'l Drive Electric Week at the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing, MI.

Owners are invited to register and show their PEVs at the event. Please contact me with questions at 313-241-6211 or maggie at michigancleancities dot org. Or, go ahead and register by selecting "volunteer" at this site: National Drive Electric Week Event - Lansing The event is from 11am - 2pm this Sunday (September 20). Would be great to have folks from this forum attend!

• Informative
Reactions: scharlesjr
NEMA 14-50 plug installation cost?

I just moved and now need to install meter and charger 14-50. The first time DTE covered it as the cost was under 2500. It was 1700 and done by Mr Electric. Anyone got the plug installed and would like to share the cost and any recommendation on electricians. The wire needed to run from the new meter would be around 15 feet.

The Michigan Electric Auto Association (MEAA) will be hosting the Saline Summerfest EV Show again this year August 13, 9-1. We would like to invite all EV owners to bring their cars and talk to people interested in electric cars about their experience. The Michigan Tesla Club has supported this event for the last several years and participation is greatly appreciated. My own Model X will be there.
Other events this year can be found on our website as they are scheduled at www.michiganeaa.org or follow the QR code link.

Attachments

• Summerfest poster 2016.pdf
    418.4 KB · Views: 50
  • QR Code.JPG
    QR Code.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 39
Joel
Finally , a michigan owner
I'm taking delivery of a model x on September 5th approx in cleveland .
My DS is not answering my questions .
How to pay for it ..(cash deal) ..Also they want to charge the mich sales tax in Ohio upfront .
And he hinted at extra charges besides the agreed price online (includes doc fee )
Help

Joel
Finally , a michigan owner
I'm taking delivery of a model x on September 5th approx in cleveland .
My DS is not answering my questions .
How to pay for it ..(cash deal) ..Also they want to charge the mich sales tax in Ohio upfront .
And he hinted at extra charges besides the agreed price online (includes doc fee )
Help

Two Things for Taxes:

1) Trade In (May Not Apply to You): Our great state (sarcasm) does not allow the reduction in sales tax for a trade-in. If you are trading a car in for your X, you will still have to pay the full Michigan sales tax on the full price of the X (not the different between the trade in value and the X purchase price). Even if Tesla (as they did with me) deducted the value of the trade in from the purchase price of your X, Michigan Secretary of State will request the balance when you register the car.

2) I believe you have to pay sales tax when you purchase any car at time of sale (for lease tax is paid at each payment). Michigan Sales Tax is 6.00% and Cuyahoga County County is 8.00%. Regardless of trading your car in, you will be paying less sales tax (6%) than the Ohio rate (8%), so that is the one silver lining.

3) There will be additional fees such as destination fee, etc. I can't remember all of them, but they are not unique to Tesla and Tesla has fewer fees than a traditional auto dealer because they are not a dealer.

What is the first name of your DS?

-Joel

NEMA 14-50 plug installation cost?

I just moved and now need to install meter and charger 14-50. The first time DTE covered it as the cost was under 2500. It was 1700 and done by Mr Electric. Anyone got the plug installed and would like to share the cost and any recommendation on electricians. The wire needed to run from the new meter would be around 15 feet.
Does DTE still cover it?

Does DTE still cover it?
The DTE program has ended. Signing on to the 'special' rate for EV owners is usually not advantageous. The meter fees wipe out any reduction in KW cost so it becomes better to just charge at your regular meter rate. We had a charger put in by AJ Leo Electric & Solar from Ypsilanti. They did a great job at a reasonable price.

Attachments

• charger.jpg
    charger.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 56
  • Love
Reactions: dapao
AAA is looking for a couple of electric vehicles to display this Saturday Oct 1, 9-noon at the AAA AOB Building ,1 Auto Club Drive Dearborn, MI 48126. AAA has supported the spread of electric vehicles by installing level 2 and 3 chargers in Michigan.The contact for this event is Angie LaPlant [email protected] and Rock Henderson, [email protected]
From Angie:
We are having a AAA Auto Expo on October 1st from 9am – Noon at the AAA AOB building in Dearborn. It is open to AAA employees and the general public.
All types of cars are welcome and Lingenfelter Performance Engineering and Mustang Racing Technologies (local performance shops) will have cars from their collection on display as well as Michigan police has some vintage cars.
Commemorative dashboard plaques will be provided for all cars on display – however, we are not judging cars. Just a fun way for all to show off their daily driver or collection car whether it’s a classic, sports car, etc.
Any chance we can have a presence for EV??? Let me know.
Angie LaPlant, CIC
The Auto Club Group
Director, Public Relations