Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Metro Detroit to Chicago Roundtrip in 60 kWH

I made this trip this week. Here are the stats for everybody's use.

Occupancy - 2 people
Luggage - 125 lbs
Total Trip Mileage - 760 miles
Fossil Fuel (Dino Juice) Saved- 30 gallons

Click Here To View Trip Map

Metro Detroit to Chicago [Speed - 75 mph & Energy - 350 kW]
Leg 1 - Home to Maumee - Started with 200 miles range. Used 100 miles for driving 85 miles. Charged for 80 miles - charging time 35 mins.

Initially thought that will do Maumee to Mishawaka in one trip and skip Angola, however after driving 70 miles was using more energy then predicted so took a detour and charged in Angola.
Leg 2 - Maumee to Angola - Started with 180 miles range at Maumee. Used 90 miles range for first 75 miles of driving. Charged in Angola for 50 miles - charging time 15 mins.
Leg 3 - Angola to Mishawaka - Started with 140 miles range at Angola. Used 90 miles for 70 miles of driving. Charged in Mishawaka for 150 miles - charging time 1 hour. Had lunch here.

Leg 4 - Mishawaka to Chicago - Started with 200 miles range at Mishawaka. Used 140 miles for 110 miles of driving. Arrived in Chicago with 60 miles of range left.

Destination charging at the hotel - Level 2 - 15 miles/hour

Total miles - 320 miles
Driving time - 5 hours
Charging time - 2 hours

SegmentInitial RangeMiles DrivenRange UsedEnd RangeMiles ChargedCharging TimeSpeedkW Use
Metro Detroit - Maumee200 miles85 miles100 miles100 miles80 miles35 mins (Tesla SC)75 mph330 kW
Maumee - Angola180 miles75 miles90 miles90 miles50 miles15 mins (Tesla SC)75 mph350 kW
Angola - Mishawaka140 miles70 miles90 miles50 miles150 miles1 hour (Tesla SC)75 mph350 kW
Mishawaka - Chicago200 miles110 miles140 miles60 miles140 miles10 hours (Blink)75 mph330 kW

Metro Chicago to Metro Detroit [Speed - 55 mph(IL)/75 mph (Others) & Energy - 270 kW (IL)/310 kW (Others)]

Leg 1 - Schaumberg to Mishawaka - Started with 170 miles range at Schaumberg. Was little concerned about it due to previous use. However I-290/I-294 had 55 mph speed limits, so drove at 60 mph for first 70 miles and then above 70 for rest 60 miles. Used 130 miles for 130 miles of driving - Charged in Mishawaka for 100 miles - Charged for 30 mins.

Leg 2 - Mishawaka to Angola - Started with 140 miles of range at Mishawaka. Used 85 miles for 70 miles - Charged for 85 miles - Charged for 25 mins.

Leg 3 - Angola to Maumee - Started with 140 miles of range at Angola - Used 85 miles for 75 miles - Charged for 85 miles - Charged for 25 mins.

Leg 4 - Maumee to Home - Started with 140 miles of range at Maumee - Used 85 miles for 85 miles - Arrived with 55 miles left

Total miles - 350 miles
Driving time - 5.5 hours
Charging time - 1.5 hours

SegmentInitial RangeMiles DrivenRange UsedEnd RangeMiles ChargedCharging TimeSpeedkW Use
Metro Chicago - Mishawaka170 miles130 miles130 miles40 miles100 miles30 mins (Tesla SC)60-75 mph270 kW
Mishawaka - Angola140 miles70 miles85 miles55 miles85 miles25 mins (Tesla SC)75 mph330 kW
Angola - Maumee140 miles75 miles85 miles55 miles85 miles25 mins (Tesla SC)75 mph310 kW
Maumee - Metro Detroit140 miles85 miles85 miles55 miles125 miles4 hours (NEMA)70-75 mph290 kW

Summary:

(1) This trip can be done with 2 stops, esp we had Jackson SC. In absence of that SC, I had to play safe and plan my route through SC corridor. Traveling via turnpike added 50 minutes with probably another 20 minutes or so more in charging on this route. So I think once Jackson SC opens then we can definitely knock down an hour from this time.
(2) This trip could have been done with 2 stops even with current SC deployment without Jackson. I could have skipped Maumee and could have gone to Angola via I-69/I-94, not I-90. I would have traveled trough Jackson and Ann Arbor. Here's the issue I had. There is nothing near Angola SC. On the way to Chicago I was pretty confident that I will skip Angola after charging at Maumee. Had family with me, and keeping them in isolated place isn't cool. On the way back, to skip Maumee we will need to range charge and that meant spending an hour in isolated location in night time. Total charging time wouldn't have changed much, but traveling time is 20 minutes less if we take I-69/I-94 from Angola and skip Maumee.
(3) I take frequent breaks when traveling by car. I would have taken atleast 2 breaks in the journey. I think traveling by EV added one more break and another 50 minutes in total commute time.
(4) Charging is slower as battery gets recharged and charging levels off as battery nears capacity
(5) Key is to arrive at SC with fairly low charge. Charge the car till you have enough range+buffer to get to next SC. I kept buffer at 50 miles. No need to range charge.
(6) Driving slower saves energy (10-15 mph below speed limit), however the time saved by driving close to speed limit can be used to charge car. In 2 hours of driving we can save 20-30 minutes this way, which can be used for charging. After all, Model S is really enjoyable when driven to the limit.
(7) EVs are the future. I think the compromise was so small to travel gas free. I think we spent 50 minutes more in break time/charging time. Traveling via turnpike added 50 minutes, this time can definitely reduced if you travel via MI and not via turnpike as explained above. If no turnpike, then save 50 minutes. If you skip Maumee and take I-69 to Angola then save 20 minutes. 5 to 6 hour trips can easily be done in an EV with atleast 200 mile range and strategically placed level 3 charging.

Recommended Routes:

(1) Metro Detroit - St. Joseph - Chicago: This is only possible with 85 kWh right now. However I have no doubt that once Jackson SC opens, a 60 kWh can make the same trip. Driving time is 4 hr 40 min and charging time is 1 hour (1-2 stops).
(2) Metro Detroit - Angola (via Ann Arbor/Jackson I-69/I-94) - Mishawaka - Chicago: Current possible route for 60 kWh. Driving time is 5 hr 10 min and charging time is 1 hr 20 min (2 stops).
(3) Metro Detroit - Maumee - Angola - Mishawaka (I-90 corridor) - Chicago: Driving time is 5 hr 30 min and charging time is 1 hr 30 min (3 stops).

photo 1.JPG

Angola Supercharger

photo 2.JPG

Mishawaka Supercharger

photo 3.JPG

Mishawaka Supercharger

Last edited:
That's a great observation Dan. I could not understand why such a big difference. I averaged 350 kW traveling west and traveling east I was averaging 260-270 kW, until I started pushing it. Even then traveling east was only rarely above 300 kW. I did not draft at all behind the truck, surprisingly found none doing over 60 mph.

Post updated with Trip map and Pics.

Michigan EV Show/NPID 2014

Michigan EV Show

MEAA and Schoolcraft College is organizing Annual EV show on June 7. There will be special section on Tesla. Please see the link for program website and registration link.

http://www.schoolcraft.edu/a-z-index/electric-vehicle-show#.U030RVe9aC8

http://www.schoolcraft.edu/docs/def...cle-Show/ev-vehicle-registration.pdf?sfvrsn=4

National Plug-In Day/Drive Electric Week 2014

Planning for NPID-DEW 2014 is already underway. Please register to participate or volunteer on following link.

http://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=145

Dont do it!

Is it worth getting 21's in Michigan. I live in Holland but wondered if most have 21's or do they stick to the 19's.

I'm considering the P85 with air and the P85+.

I have the 21's and have gone through 8 tires in 36,000 miles of driving. 3 of which where blown from potholes in one week. They are $575 each and hard to get. They also get poor fuel economy compared to the 19". They are terrible in the snow as well. They look cool!

If you are sold on the 21" then order your car with the 19"'s and I'll trade you even up.

@Daniel,

Thats a heavy it on the tires you have gone through. Darn.

I had an idea that 21's are not too good in Michigan just wanted to get someone that had some experience. Appreciate it.
I'm just about ready to press the order button for my Tesla. I was going back in forth for 2 months on trying to decide on a P85 or a P85+.

I know some have got the P85+ and then replaced the 21's with 19's but to me they are going to give up handling. The P+ option is about 11K add-on to a P85 with 19's. Also would probably sell the 21's so I'd take a hit on those.

I'm slowly convincing myself I should just get the P85 and be happy with it, which I probably would be. I was concerned with what they call float with the P85. In Holland there are not a lot of curvy roads to really take advantage of the P85+.

How do you like your P85 and did you ever drive a P85+? I see that you got your P85 early 2013. Did you happen to get the upgrade to current production suspension? I take it when the P85+ was developed that Tesla implemented some of the changes to the non P+. I think that was in the latter part of 2013.

What tires are you currently using now?

Ypsilanti, Michigan to Catonsville, MD

I went to Maryland this weekend. It took me 13 hours to get their and 12 hours back. Charged at all 5 charging stations.

Charging: To Catonsville 314 wh/mi AC off 536 miles (traveled at night)
Stop 1: 40min (meijer shopping),
Stop 2: 40min,
Stop 3: 1hour (slept),
Stop 4: 20min,
Stop 5: 1.5hour (mall shopping)
Total Charging: 4 hours and 10 min

Back to Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor 304 wh/mi AC on Eco mode 532 miles
Charging:
Stop 1: 1.5 hr(mall),
Stop 2: 30min,
Stop 3: 30min,
Stop 4: 1hr (Burlington coat factory and pizza),
Stop 5: 15min
Total Charging: 3 hours and 45 min

The trip can be done in 10-11 hours with 60 kWh. We stopped longer than needed, specially at Hagerstown mall outlet.

My family loved it. I like minimum stops but Free superchargers makes it worth it. I love Tesla seats also. Saving in filling up means spending that on family :).

My Tesla is a 60 black with 19" wheels. Saw 2 Tesla charging but did not get a chance to meet any of them
IMAG0770.jpg

Just a reminder that the first major EV event of the season is happening this Saturday at Schoolcraft College - the Michigan Electric Vehicle Show. I know several Tesla owners participated last year and hopefully we can get an even bigger turn out this year. I was there as a spectator before and will likely drop by again even though it'll be another two years before I have something to show.

Electric Vehicle Show - Schoolcraft College

@timf, Thank you for the note. Me and Dan are going. Not sure about anybody yet. Just copying the post from our facebook page.

Annual Michigan EV Show - This Saturday at Schoolcraft College. The organizers are looking for more Tesla. Please come in if your are free. Details below.

http://www.schoolcraft.edu/docs/default-source/Electric-Vehicle-Show/ev-vehicle-registration.pdf?sfvrsn=4

http://www.schoolcraft.edu/docs/default-source/Electric-Vehicle-Show/evshow-flyer-2014.pdf?sfvrsn=0

http://www.schoolcraft.edu/a-z-index/electric-vehicle-show#.U43fSSjN4TA

EV Show.png