Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan winter tires Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m from Michigan and used winter tires often.
Any set of winter tires will outperform the best all seasons. Not even a comparison. I’ve used blizzaks and cheaper tires and they all did very well. Yes it’s worth it for awd.
Buy a set of used oem wheels and get any winter tire for them.

I am also located in metro Detroit and was in the tire industry for more than a decade. Due to the discounts I use to have I would typically buy a new set of winters each season for both of my cars. In the non-sport 18" wheels there are not really any bad choices for winter tires in the stock 235/45/18's.

I currently have the Cooper True North in 245/45 which were pulled off my previous car before trading in for my LR Model 3 this spring. They did well last winter but I wasn't blown away compared to others I have ran.

The Continental VikingContact is what I have on my wife's Ford Flex and they are the closest I have had to Blizzak grip in deep or packed snow, and ice. The downside with these in the 235/45 size is its a T speed rated tire so you will have a noticeable reduction in cornering and steering feel.

Blizzak WS90's are the benchmark for most winter tires as far as grip. The one major downside with Blizzaks is the compound is so soft they typically have 1/3 to 1/2 less life compared to any of the other winter tires. If you are looking for the best ice grip and deep packed snow grip this is the go-to.

Michelin X-ice is also one of the best winter tires for ice and deep packed snow. Advantages of the x-ice over the Blizzak is much longer tread life, quieter, and one of the best options if you are looking for minimal range reduction due to rolling resistance and weight.

Pirelli Sottozero 3 would be my suggestion if you are looking for a V rated winter tire. It will handle similar to a performance all season tire with the advantages of a winter compound. They will not be as good as the above as far as snow and ice traction but still significantly better than all season options.

Due to the way winters are in metro detroit I would probably suggest going towards a tire that is more focused on packed snow and ice traction. We do get some heavy snowfall but its nothing like the deep snow of northern michigan.