Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Micro grid use while in self-powed mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a relativly new system - I added 4.08kW and 2 PW's to my existing 5.44kw system. While I'm still awaiting PTO on the new addition, the system is working in self-powed mode and exporting excess production to the grid as expected (presumedly capped at my original system capacity).

For the first month or so I took nothing from the grid, except for very rare micro blips, as all power was provided via solar and the PW's. However, for the past 3-4 weeks (after several app updates) the app is now showing that I'm drawing regular micro levels of kW's (see blue in chart below) eventhough my battery is charged and supplying power to the house. Sometimes it's spotty and other more consistent like in the image below. Is this normal? Why would it not be there for the first month and suddlenly show up?

Thanks in advance,

bwb1

IMG_1440.PNG

I think I resolved the issue. Onset was with the new TOU controls in the app a few weeks back, and I had swithched over and expirimented a bit with TOU but then switched back to self-powered. Maybe it was just a software glitch becuase yesterday I cycled to TOU and then back self-powered and everything appears to be working as expected now - no low level grid use. :)

bwb1

I cant speak for anyone else, but I am following this thread. Please let us know what you find out, if anything. I didnt post because I didnt have any suggestions to offer, but am posting now so that you dont feel like you are talking into a room full of people who are not listening.

Reactions: gcsutton and bwb1
Last 2 days I also am having this issue. My Powerwall's are fully charged by the end of the day and can supply the house all night. I have noticed that during the night when everyone is asleep, (house is pulling only .6-.7 Kw) that there are micro pulls from the grid (.1Kw), even though the Powerwall's are capable of providing sufficient power.

I'm confused. How are you exporting anything to the grid in Self-consumption mode?
I have a relativly new system - I added 4.08kW and 2 PW's to my existing 5.44kw system. While I'm still awaiting PTO on the new addition, the system is working in self-powed mode and exporting excess production to the grid as expected (presumedly capped at my original system capacity).

For the first month or so I took nothing from the grid, except for very rare micro blips, as all power was provided via solar and the PW's. However, for the past 3-4 weeks (after several app updates) the app is now showing that I'm drawing regular micro levels of kW's (see blue in chart below) eventhough my battery is charged and supplying power to the house. Sometimes it's spotty and other more consistent like in the image below. Is this normal? Why would it not be there for the first month and suddlenly show up?

Thanks in advance,

bwb1