TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Micro range extender for Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Eberhard, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

One Idea for heating the Model S in cold climate would be the use of a micro range extender. While providing heat to the cabin, it can produce enough electric power to extend the range to reach the destination or at least the next charging station.

Bladon provides a micro range extender with 6kW electric power but only 15kg in weight.

View attachment Bladon Technology.2.pdf

2. Adm

Adm Active Member

#2 Adm, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    "Thou too Brutus" :wink:

I doubt that Tesla is going to make space for such a heater plus fuel tank this far in the development of the car.
    The addition of anything that doesn't feed of the battery would be a disappointment to me.

3. goyogi

goyogi Member

How about a range extender in the guise of a battery pack that fits in the frunk. =)

4. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

any range extending device with "fuel" source of energy needs control logic, cooling, fire prevention, etc. Why do you want to turn Model S into a Volt or a Honda FCX Clarity?