Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Micro-Scratches on Windows..Anyone with the same issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car only has 3.5k miles and always been hand-washed. I always use clean microfiber towels to clean. However, I have these spiderweb micro-scratches on all 4 sides of my windows. They are not deep, and I can't feel them with my fingernails, but I can see them all over the windows.

Does anyone have something similar on their windows? I'm disappointed on how soft the glass is, and didn't think the glass would scratch that easily.

IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG

Are you sure this isn't the window tint and inside instead of outside? If your windshield has no tint, do the scratches appear on it?

I just checked mine, I've wiped my windows with microfiber many, many times, no micro scratches or swirl marks.

Also, a little side tip, if you never wipe in circles, "swirl" marks are a little less obvious. When circular any light angle will show part of it, when straight not so much.

Reactions: calidreamz808
This type of damage is typical of someone going at the glass with an orbital polisher (to either simply clean, buff or attempt and polish the glass) with bad or no prep and using wrong slurries, pads or both.

Sadly its very easy to inflict this kind of damage and its not that easy to eliminate it... even by glass polishing pros.

Guess what? I just noticed this on my windows - it's definitely not abuse, I wash this car just like I did my previous two BMWs. I've never used anything other than proper carwash soap or window cleaner and a microfiber - good microfiber - I always very gently hand wash. If I'm careful enough, I can feel it with my fingernail, they are real scratches on the outside and not the same pattern but there nonetheless.

If Tesla uses the exact same glass as BMW then something is up because my BMWs didn't have this (that I can remember), the Tesla does. I've always been fairly persnickety with taking care of my cars, something is odd here.

Guess what? I just noticed this on my windows - it's definitely not abuse, I wash this car just like I did my previous two BMWs. I've never used anything other than proper carwash soap or window cleaner and a microfiber - good microfiber - I always very gently hand wash. If I'm careful enough, I can feel it with my fingernail, they are real scratches on the outside and not the same pattern but there nonetheless.

If Tesla uses the exact same glass as BMW then something is up because my BMWs didn't have this (that I can remember), the Tesla does. I've always been fairly persnickety with taking care of my cars, something is odd here.

I can't feel mine with my fingernails, so yours is definitely worse than mine. Is it on all 4 windows? Also, do you always do a pre-rinse?

I used to ONR using a spray bottle if my car was lightly dusty, but considering the scratches I got on my windows, I'm wondering if maybe some of remaining dirt caught on the microfiber when I was wiping it, so now I'm a bit paranoid about it and always do a proper car wash.

I can't feel mine with my fingernails, so yours is definitely worse than mine. Is it on all 4 windows? Also, do you always do a pre-rinse?

I used to ONR using a spray bottle if my car was lightly dusty, but considering the scratches I got on my windows, I'm wondering if maybe some of remaining dirt caught on the microfiber when I was wiping it, so now I'm a bit paranoid about it and always do a proper car wash.

Yea, I always do a pre-rinse and the car hasn't really had a chance to get very dirty yet - especially the side windows. I then dry it at 80 MPH or an electric leaf blower so it isn't the drying. I often go back and hit everything including the windows with a ceramic boost type detailer/protection but with all of the above, none of it should cause scratches like this based on previous experience.

I only noticed it on the back driver side window but I haven't taken a flashlight to examine the others (I found this because it was in the sun at the proper angle to notice it when I was wiping off some fingerprints the other day). At first I didn't think I could feel it with my fingernail but being really careful/light touch I could just barely feel they were real scratches on the outside of the glass. Obviously from wiping but IMHO it should not have happened, seems overly delicate.

When I get a chance I'll take a picture.

Last edited:
Side glass is usually treated with hydrochloric acid during the production process to minimize the chances of surface scratching, and to increase glass strength as well.

If there isn't great quality control during the glass production - be it uneven chemical coating or improper cooling - these are likely the reasons for the surface scratching.

It's a real stretch to suggest that folks are using the wrong type of cloth or wiping their windows the "wrong" way. Much more likely a manufacturing defect.

I have the same scratches on just one window, the drivers side back door window is a mess. The other windows have no scratches. It was noted on delivery day but I decided I did not want my entire door taken apart to replace the window as that would probably cause a slew of rattles and other issues.