Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MicroSD card to USB adapter that works in Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Has anyone successfully gotten a microSD card to work on the Model S USB ports using a microsd to USB adapter? I got a Sandisk MobileMate 3.0 adapter and tried using it with the Endurance microsd cards from Sandisk for better longevity on sentry mode recordings but the car won’t recognize this combo. I can use normal usb drives just fine, but everywhere I read says they are not durable enough for the constant writing of sentry mode and dashcam videos. The endurance microsd cards are designed to handle this and remain reliable, but obviously it’s not usb so I need an adapter.

Has anyone else gotten this type of setup to work? I read that some people use larger ssd hard drives for this, but I like to ty to keep it as small as possible like a usb drive so that I can easily remove it to upload to my pc and put it back on a daily basis if I need to.

Any confirmed brands/models that work?

Yes. I have the same adapter but I use a Samsung Pro Endurance card. Make sure the card is formatted to one of the supported formats. NTFS doesn't work but FAT32 or exFAT works just fine. I've had this setup since Teslacam was introduced and it's worked fine... slightly less so with MCU1. Consistently good with MCU2.

I am using the MobileMate USB 3.0 Adapter, but using the Sandisk 256GB MAX Endurance card. So maybe the issue is with the Sandisk card and not the adapter? It won't even be recognized to format in the car.

Also, I just looked online and can't seem to even find a Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB. The highest I see is 128GB.