Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No Elon,

Both his cars are there quite often. P1 of pretty much the test bed car for him to test coming upgrades.
Both get lent out a lot -hence the damage. His sport also had front end damage at the Tesla Rally.

That's pretty cool; did Elon happen to be around or was his car there just for fun?

Also, that's nice to hear that the Model S is more-than-likely still on target for late 2011/early 2012 release.

Great news on the schedule timeline acceleration.

As Todd indicated, Model S will TM main revenue generator. Sales $ will be used to pay off the government loan, other creditors and reinvest for future and existing model improvements. Perhaps one day they will declare a dividend. :cool:

No Elon,

Both his cars are there quite often. P1 of pretty much the test bed car for him to test coming upgrades.
Both get lent out a lot -hence the damage. His sport also had front end damage at the Tesla Rally.

Ah, that is nice to know. I wasn't aware that P1 was used as a test bed or that he lends them out, which is why I asked if he was there.

Also, you mention he has two Roadsters. Do you know if he also got the first Roadster Sport or is his second car "just" a Sport?

Yes, that's discussed here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php?t=4283

Frankly, I have no worries at all. Came across as a biased article from my reading, based on the partial statement of facts. Anything to make a dramatic story...

Based on posts earlier in this thread, if anything I think the S may be moved back up to its original schedule.

We know that the design's been frozen, most of the sourcing is taken care of, and the factory's underway. There's talk about many prototypes being out for test drives this fall.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think, for the most part, the S is not far behind schedule, if at all.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think, for the most part, the S is not far behind schedule, if at all.

These articles always give me reason to pause and at times doubt TM, which is perhaps the intent of the writer(s). Then again, several years ago there were similar write-ups on Roadster. How great it would be to take a Model S prototype out for a spin in several months!

I can see that once the factory comes online, the production of the Model S would be pretty quick from there. Compared to a ICE car, which has to be wired and have the ice mounted, connecting of the various peripheral systems (braking, Transmission, starter, crank shaft, etc) . I may be over simplifying how ev's are put together, but mount the battery, wire and put in the motor (hvac and inverter).

Good point...not to take away from the complexity of manufacturing and assembling *ANY* vehicle, but...

Since EVs are inherently less complex mechanically, and since they're much more dependent on software and electronics and much less dependent on grease and gears, one might expect that the time required to get a factory off the ground to assemble an EV would be less than the standard time required for an ICE.

So those 18 month predictions(?) that I think I read regarding getting an auto plant up and running may be overestimates for an EV.

Look at how quickly Tesla is getting their powertrain into a RAV4! Granted, it's a hand-built prototype, but it's still pretty damn fast!

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312510281997/dex991.htm
g129292ex99_1pg012.jpg

I suppose that could have just been a description of the function of the building back from its' former use.
In other words the "truck paint building" could get re-purposed for something else. Just a guess, though.

The slide is labeled "purchases" not "plans".

Thanks for posting this TEG!...nice to see some confirmation of the timelines from TM.

I see they're projecting 20,000 Model S vehicles built for 2013...very nice as I was concerned that it might take a couple of years to ramp up to those production totals!