Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
noticed this when skimming the Terrace Bay superchargerView attachment 450978

This looks like a regular 6 bay V2 supercharger. each stall is only 146KWdc and they are shared. could this be the standard for non heavy traffic routes or maybe all the 6 bay Canadian SuC are only going to be V2?
I believe that at this point everything in MB and SK that's got conduit so far, plus I believe Bassano, AB, is plumbed for V3 and there is V3 gear confirmed on site where there is any gear.

P.S. Last I looked Polo Park in Winnipeg isn't to that point in construction, and has long been expected to be an Urban SC, so it could end up being the only non-V3 SC East of Calgary until somewhere in Ontario.

I'd be shocked if the Trans-Canada highway doesn't have superchargers from Vancouver to Quebec by next August. I know for certain that Regina to Kenora will be filled in by this fall, leaving only Calgary to Regina and Kenora to Sudbury left up in the air to complete the route.

Calgary to Regina is pretty necessary, however the NW Ontario portion from Kenora to Sudbury can be bypassed by going through the States (Minneapolis => Chicago => Detroit).
LMAO, you know for certain :D
Elon time, I'm on Elon time, just started reading this thread today.

For all of you wondering if waiting for V3 is worth their time...
It may not be for YOU in an old Tesla,
but for all the cars coming out after the new battery tech gets in place,
that is where it will be worth it! Imagine these new upstart model threes in like 2nd half 2020,
charging in 15 min or less, zipping in and out of the superchargers, MAKING ROOM FOR US OLD OWNERS.
They will be griping about us Old People hogging the chargers with our slow A$$ cars.
And likely people will be trading their 5 to 10 year old Teslas for the new battery tech ones.
Then you will get the advantage of V3. So pining for the V2 is silly, plain and simple.

Anyone know what’s the hold up for getting the superchargers up in MB. The one in Portage La Prairie seems to be at a stand still. Also does anyone know what stage the one at Emerson crossing is at?
Look at plugshare.com, you'll see a whole string of construction across the Trans Canada Hwy and also North Dakota where the sites are built to the point of needing V3 pedestals, then wait for hardware. We dont have a solid explanation for it here. Only Tesla knows and they aren't saying. There is a site in the Maritimes that is being completed with V2 hardware.

The proposed Supercharger in Pembina seems dead for now. Tesla and the site owner don't agree on some installation details. There doesn't seem to be anything proposed for the Emerson side of the border.

The proposed Supercharger in Pembina seems dead for now. Tesla and the site owner don't agree on some installation details. There doesn't seem to be anything proposed for the Emerson side of the border.
Less than ideal situation. Grand Forks to Polo Park is close to 250km. Very doable in summer for all but the shortest of ranges but tense in the dead of winter, and most would be making use of the couple of L2 along that route.

I wonder if Tesla is considering the potential of locating on the Canadian side, what the economics of one vs the other are.

Last edited:
Look at plugshare.com, you'll see a whole string of construction across the Trans Canada Hwy and also North Dakota where the sites are built to the point of needing V3 pedestals, then wait for hardware. We dont have a solid explanation for it here. Only Tesla knows and they aren't saying. There is a site in the Maritimes that is being completed with V2 hardware.

Did you possibly mean Supercharge.info rather than plugshare? Emerson/Pembina would take away any range anxiety that's for sure. As I have not experienced a winter with my M3, I have no real world numbers. Heck, I hardly have range numbers for summer/fall.

Reactions: SammichLover
Heck, I hardly have range numbers for summer/fall.
Yeah, that 145 miles gap is barely above 'normal' spacing in more temperate zones. For your car 155 miles in any weather above 0C will barely cross your mind. Pembina/Emerson is really only an all-season, all-weather requirement for staying in-network only, and there's already fallback help outside the SC network for the brave long-distance, winter traveling souls. It is the same as Medicine Hat at this point, it'd be great to have but not a HARD requirement for this first pass.

I wonder if Tesla is considering the potential of locating on the Canadian side, what the economics of one vs the other are.
From a driver's point of view, the Pembina location is better. The SC spot is right at the freeway exit, with I-29 right behind you as you charge. An Emerson location would have to be in town, about 1-2 km off route.

But wait! There is reason for both. In the peak of summer, you can wait up to an hour to get through customs. Sometimes you'd want to charge before crossing the border in either direction.

For your car 155 miles in any weather above 0C will barely cross your mind. Pembina/Emerson is really only an all-season, all-weather requirement for staying in-network.

Right now, I drive ~2% of the 450 km, into Winnipeg & back once a week and the car does the rest of the driving :). I travel from the Brandon SuC * location, to the Portage SuC * location and eventually to the Polo Park SuC * location. We just go for breakfast in Headingley, and check on SuC progress at each location along the way. We have the time as we are retired.

I'm still learning about drafting (+7), the car, wind, temperature, rain and such. So far, I don't have range anxiety as there is a L2 about 30 miles east of Brandon and I usually return with, condition dependent, 50-75 km left in the battery. Will get way more interesting in winter. But then I hope at least the Portage or Winnipeg SuC is working. Had thought of going to Whitewood to check their SuC * out but will probably leave that to the Saskatchewan folks.
(* currently non-functioning)

See Regina post - PEDESTALS!!
Not exactly... they are unboxing in Regina and the stalls are already in place in Whitewood!!!
A575EC69-0890-4D41-9455-0C360C7822AA.png
D5EA1418-5426-4726-BA64-A373A02233AB.png

Hi all; For our delight and entertainment, I went through the individual posts to summarize the Trans-Canada progress... Thanks to all who posted progress.
I think we're close to a major announcement?

TransCanada progress From Calgary (EXISTING SC):
Dates indicate when the earliest posts indicate pedestals went in. The pedestals are typically the last hardware installed.
No indication for most whether the local utility has installed power hookups or not... generally it seems they have.

Strathmore - all pedestals installed - some paving needed?
Bassano - Pedestals being installed Oct.25 -presume done.
Medicine Hat - Oct 24 - pedestals done.

Saskatchewan:
Maple Creek - Pedestals all installed - Oct.12th
Swift Current - Pedestals are in Oct.19th
Moose Jaw - Pedestals installed Oct. 17th
Regina - Pedestals installed Oct. 4th
(to Saskatoon -> Davidson - pedestals installed Oct.22nd )
Whitewood - pedestals installed Oct.3rd

Manitoba:
***Brandon - Pedestals - being installed Nov 7
Portage la Prairie -pedestals installed Oct. 31
Winnipeg -Pedestals installed Nov. 6
Prawda - Pedestals installed Nov 3rd or earlier

(Ontario: Not a lot of updates from Northern Ontario)
***Kenora - Wiring done, pedestals onsite Oct22 - installed?
***Dryden - Fenced off and digging Oct.18
***Ignace - Oct 18 - Digging, conduit placed.
(Upsala? logical stop between, but no information)
Thunder Bay -Pedestals in - surprise! - Nov 3rd
***Nipigon - Oct 28 - fenced; digging underway?
Terrace Bay - Oct 18 - pedestals installed
White River - Oct 11 - pedestals installed
Wawa - Oct 30 pedestals installed
(Batchawana Bay? May start construction soon?)
Sault Ste Marie -Pedestals installed - Oct 17
Blind River - Pedestals installed Nov 2
Espanola - Pedestals installed - Nov 1
Sudbury - EXISTING SC
North Bay - Oct 25 - pedestals installed
Deep River - Oct 27 - pedestals installed
(Renfrew? no Progress)
Ottawa - EXISTING SC

Two long stretches are Ignace to Thunder Bay and Wawa to Sault Ste Marie

Great summary @MD-2000!

What are peoples thoughts on this route being used in conjunction with the pickup truck unveil on November 19? Too soon?

Remember that depending on the range of the pickup, it might not need 100% of stations to be done.

If it is, my guess is that it will be after the unveil, perhaps to a second event in eastern Canada - they wouldn't want people to see the pickup before hand.

The pickup won't actually be in production and widely available for a year or more - we're still waiting on the Y. But it's a good time to proclaim to the assembled masses, when he has a huge audience for the pickup reveal, that a major milestone in mobility is also live. It will get a lot more press notice across North America than a separate announcement. And... he can tie it to the fact that he promised charging soon in Saskatchewan back at the Y unveiling.

Hi all; For our delight and entertainment, I went through the individual posts to summarize the Trans-Canada progress... Thanks to all who posted progress.
I think we're close to a major announcement?

TransCanada progress From Calgary (EXISTING SC):
Dates indicate when the earliest posts indicate pedestals went in. The pedestals are typically the last hardware installed.
No indication for most whether the local utility has installed power hookups or not... generally it seems they have.

Strathmore - all pedestals installed - some paving needed?
Bassano - Pedestals being installed Oct.25 -presume done.
Medicine Hat - Oct 24 - pedestals done.

Saskatchewan:
Maple Creek - Pedestals all installed - Oct.12th
Swift Current - Pedestals are in Oct.19th
Moose Jaw - Pedestals installed Oct. 17th
Regina - Pedestals installed Oct. 4th
(to Saskatoon -> Davidson - pedestals installed Oct.22nd )
Whitewood - pedestals installed Oct.3rd

Manitoba:
***Brandon - Pedestals - being installed Nov 7
Portage la Prairie -pedestals installed Oct. 31
Winnipeg -Pedestals installed Nov. 6
Prawda - Pedestals installed Nov 3rd or earlier

(Ontario: Not a lot of updates from Northern Ontario)
***Kenora - Wiring done, pedestals onsite Oct22 - installed?
***Dryden - Fenced off and digging Oct.18
***Ignace - Oct 18 - Digging, conduit placed.
(Upsala? logical stop between, but no information)
Thunder Bay -Pedestals in - surprise! - Nov 3rd
***Nipigon - Oct 28 - fenced; digging underway?
Terrace Bay - Oct 18 - pedestals installed
White River - Oct 11 - pedestals installed
Wawa - Oct 30 pedestals installed
(Batchawana Bay? May start construction soon?)
Sault Ste Marie -Pedestals installed - Oct 17
Blind River - Pedestals installed Nov 2
Espanola - Pedestals installed - Nov 1
Sudbury - EXISTING SC
North Bay - Oct 25 - pedestals installed
Deep River - Oct 27 - pedestals installed
(Renfrew? no Progress)
Ottawa - EXISTING SC

Two long stretches are Ignace to Thunder Bay and Wawa to Sault Ste Marie

I wonder when they are going to update the Tesla SC map for Canada showing the new SC location