Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla slows down SC construction to conserve cash - they did lay off a whole whack of non-production people recently and they continue to burn through cash at a furious pace.
We don't know of course, if this is true or not.
However, my biggest beef is where some of the Canadian SC locations were built. Having 2 in Barrie so close together is ludicrous. I was there last week and I was the only car at Bayfield. What they need to do then if they are having monetary issues with respect to SC construction, is to move one of them (yeah right!) to a spot that is really needed such as half way between Ottawa and Toronto on Hwy 7, or perhaps North Bay or Niagara, Perhaps moving an existing SC location is less expensive than building a new one? I don't know. Just my two cents worth, and considering that pennies are rounded off now to the nearest zero, my thoughts on this topic could be considered penniless. LOL!

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla slows down SC construction to conserve cash - they did lay off a whole whack of non-production people recently and they continue to burn through cash at a furious pace.
Sure, just look at supercharge.info (*) - there was a flurry of activity the last days of June and first few days of July, then just nominal activity until now (July 24). I think 2018 Q3 will see a drought in infrastructure spending.

The shorts are watching cars produced per week and cash back from suppliers, and ignoring supercharger costs.

(* select menu -> Changes)

It's looking like Saskatchewan definitely will not see any Superchargers in 2018. I would like to say I'm optimistic but I would be lying. Tesla doesn't really give a sh-it about the SC network across Canada. Hope they prove me wrong.

I kinda regret giving Tesla more money by buying a second Model S. Love the car, but not the company.
I’ll bet a lot that it wasn’t Tesla that contacted BlueShift, and even though you cannot find the permits on the Internet does not mean they’re not out there.

• Disagree
Reactions: InternetDude
It's looking like Saskatchewan definitely will not see any Superchargers in 2018. I would like to say I'm optimistic but I would be lying. Tesla doesn't really give a sh-it about the SC network across Canada. Hope they prove me wrong.

I kinda regret giving Tesla more money by buying a second Model S. Love the car, but not the company.
I have spoken with Calgary Tesla multiple times over the last few weeks. They have repeatedly mentioned that Calgary to Winnipeg will be connected by October. The "Canadian supercharger manager" is apparently quite aggressive. Does that mean it will happen? I'm not sure.

I have tried following up with saskpower to find further information regarding potential permits, and nothing. The crickets are chirping at saskpower when it' comes to EV's.

I have spoken with Calgary Tesla multiple times over the last few weeks. They have repeatedly mentioned that Calgary to Winnipeg will be connected by October. The "Canadian supercharger manager" is apparently quite aggressive. Does that mean it will happen? I'm not sure.

I have tried following up with saskpower to find further information regarding potential permits, and nothing. The crickets are chirping at saskpower when it' comes to EV's.
In my experience, employees at service centres and showrooms know next to nothing about the supercharger build out. At best, they just look at the map and tell you "that one will open by the end of 2018!"

Brad,

Congrats on the Model S.
We are waiting for our Model 3 (June target) and regularly travel from Winnipeg area to Clear Lake with our 2013 S.
My first road trip (2013) was to Lake of the Prairies via Carberry and Virden chargers. Ended up having to stop in Foxwarren to charge because of range anxiety.

The proposed chargers In Portage la Prairie and Brandon will be great. FYI there is a new 30 amp charger at the Brandon Shoppers mall.

If you are Clear Lake in late June - Early July maybe we can grab a pop and discuss the pros and cons of Tesla.
I have heard that the ontariongovwrnment has cut the funding for the EV chargers. So, they will not be going in. What have you heard.

Phyllis may mean home chargers - the Ontario government used to subsidize those, although this forum is supposed to be about SCs.
Actually, I have spoken with the Ontario government and they tell me nothing is going in. There are no permits for anything including Supercharger’s. Now. Could they be lying or just ignorant. Well. Tesla says that the chargers are going in. Haven’t started yet. No permits. Ontario says they are not going in. No permits. So far everyone says no permits. What is with all the secrecy from Tesla. What is with all the ignorance and or secrecy from Tesla.

Actually, I have spoken with the Ontario government and they tell me nothing is going in. There are no permits for anything including Supercharger’s. Now. Could they be lying or just ignorant. Well. Tesla says that the chargers are going in. Haven’t started yet. No permits. Ontario says they are not going in. No permits. So far everyone says no permits. What is with all the secrecy from Tesla. What is with all the ignorance and or secrecy from Tesla.
Phyllis:
What particular chargers are you talking about?

Blind river, Moose Jaw, Thunder Bay, I am still hoping they Are wrong,
Several points:
- Tesla never gives out information on Supercharger build out - the only info is on their Supercharger map - Coming Soon, Coming in 2018 etc
- Permiting for Superchargers is generally a local matter. I wouldn't expect the govt of Ontario to have anything to do with it or any knowledge of it, unless Ontario is different from most places in Canada and the US
- The perception is that Tesla has throttled back the Supercharger build out to help achieve profitability
- Superchargers may be under construction and we won't know unless someone spots them - unlikely in remote areas. Superchargers even in densely populated areas have appeared already built and ready to go without anyone here or on Supercharge.info knowing in advance.
- All this may change if Tesla really does go private. Funds may open up.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP