Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't a ton of news here. These were all announced over a year ago and have been on the Tesla SuperCharger map for a long time. The only news is that they have applied for, and perhaps received, permits in some of the towns - although they may have to reapply as the sites may not have been built before some deadlines. I wonder if there are issues with the distribution grid being large enough at some of the proposed sites, or whether Hydro One might have to install some additional equipment.
If a site has a permit (whether active or expired), it should get a blue dot on supercharge.info.
Ontario Hydro should have plenty of power in each area. The distribution lines follow the highways.

That's awkward moment when one day @Mr. PlugShare decides to look through a few city planning documents and then it accidentally becomes a news story! :D

Tesla starts working on Trans-Canada Supercharger route for coast-to-coast travel
To be fair though, what was unearthed was conversations about prospective sites, but not commitments to build. Blueshift normally gives a location "blue dot" status when a building permit is issued (and discovered by "us"). There is a whole lot of activity and money changing hands and too much time between those 2 events.

Hello, new here. I have been anxiously awaiting charging stations to be within reach. I live in Fort Qu'Appelle, so I would only really consider getting a Tesla if I could go from here to Edmonton/Calgary reliably in a reasonable amount of time.

While I was doing some research about solar for possibly putting it here to charge the car / offset the cost for just the car at first, I found some interesting changes to Sask Power's rules.

So November 27th, 2018, Sask Power updated their rules for an individual who wanted to use their power and also who wanted to sell their power. Seeing as the Super Chargers will be outputting far above the amount of energy being used in Regina (for example), I would assume that they would fall more along the lines of the "Selling the Power You Make" option.

Link to the actual overview of fees: Sask Power Net Metering Overview

From looking at Tesla reports/wiki's, an average Super Charger station seems to output at least 1 MW. So under that guideline, the minimum fee for Tesla would be $170,000 + $315 + $1050. And the 1.25% of the project's total interconnection costs (2% annual escalation) I have no idea what that would amount to be.

I wonder if it threw a wrench into previous plans when they changed this, if by December they had to re-design or draw up a new plan of action for whatever site(s) they were thinking of...

The Interconnection Costs of $170k also has an AND of $43,000/km. I would think this would be how far your site is from whatever power hub they would need to hook up to. So it would definitely play a role in choosing a site that would be most beneficial and cost effective to build and maintain.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP

From looking at Tesla reports/wiki's, an average Super Charger station seems to output at least 1 MW. So under that guideline, the minimum fee for Tesla would be $170,000 + $315 + $1050. And the 1.25% of the project's total interconnection costs (2% annual escalation) I have no idea what that would amount to be.

I wonder if it threw a wrench into previous plans when they changed this, if by December they had to re-design or draw up a new plan of action for whatever site(s) they were thinking of...

The Interconnection Costs of $170k also has an AND of $43,000/km. I would think this would be how far your site is from whatever power hub they would need to hook up to. So it would definitely play a role in choosing a site that would be most beneficial and cost effective to build and maintain.
That's all for people/projects that are setting up a small solar farm or other form of small generation. Generally something between 100kW and 1MW (some generation forms allow up to 5MW). It wouldn't have anything to do with Tesla's Superchargers unless they decide to install solar alongside, which they hardly ever do. You can ignore it as an explanation for Tesla's delays in constructing superchargers in Sask.

Reactions: XHabjab
That's all for people/projects that are setting up a small solar farm or other form of small generation. Generally something between 100kW and 1MW (some generation forms allow up to 5MW). It wouldn't have anything to do with Tesla's Superchargers unless they decide to install solar alongside, which they hardly ever do. You can ignore it as an explanation for Tesla's delays in constructing superchargers in Sask.

Gotcha.

FA482FC2-65EB-45CC-BCF2-97C6FE5F0E68.jpeg

Here is a picture of my set up in Manitoba. Bit of overkill on the panels but I also charge my house and farmyard.

Drove through Qu’Appelle on my way from Shoal Lake MB to BC this winter specifically because you have chargers at the museum. I was doing good for power so opted to continue onto Regina (Peavey Mart) before stopping to add some charge. Until those superchargers are built a longe range battery is a must on the praries. Brad

Hello, new here. I have been anxiously awaiting charging stations to be within reach. I live in Fort Qu'Appelle, so I would only really consider getting a Tesla if I could go from here to Edmonton/Calgary reliably in a reasonable amount of time.

While I was doing some research about solar for possibly putting it here to charge the car / offset the cost for just the car at first, I found some interesting changes to Sask Power's rules.

So November 27th, 2018, Sask Power updated their rules for an individual who wanted to use their power and also who wanted to sell their power. Seeing as the Super Chargers will be outputting far above the amount of energy being used in Regina (for example), I would assume that they would fall more along the lines of the "Selling the Power You Make" option.

Last edited:
Drove through Qu’Appelle on my way from Shoal Lake MB to BC this winter specifically because you have chargers at the museum. I was doing good for power so opted to continue onto Regina (Peavey Mart) before stopping to add some charge. Until those superchargers are built a longe range battery is a must on the praries. Brad
I expect that LR will continue to be a near must if you plan to drive on the highway during Nov-April. -40C is going to be be really tough on range, and AB-SK-MB is a whole lot of space to get places in. Down to about 0C you can cheat on HVAC and spend basically no power on resistive heating. Especially on the prairies where it's unusual to have very high humidity. But after that you need to start using at least some to keep your windshield clear on the inside and at -40C it's going to take a lot to keep your battery in operating range, far more than you're going to be able to salvage in waste heat from the drive unit(s).

Maybe you can get by with a MR? But it'll make things very tight for a lot of months of the year. Ultimately I expect engineering changes for Northern mid-continent BEVs. Better cabin insulation, and down the road solid state batteries of some sort.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I expect that LR will continue to be a near must if you plan to drive on the highway during Nov-April. -40C is going to be be really tough on range, and AB-SK-MB is a whole lot of space to get places in. Down to about 0C you can cheat on HVAC and spend basically no power on resistive heating. Especially on the prairies where it's unusual to have very high humidity. But after that you need to start using at least some to keep your windshield clear on the inside and at -40C it's going to take a lot to keep your battery in operating range, far more than you're going to be able to salvage in waste heat from the drive unit(s).

Maybe you can get by with a MR? But it'll make things very tight for a lot of months of the year. Ultimately I expect engineering changes for Northern mid-continent BEVs. Better cabin insulation, and down the road solid state batteries of some sort.
+1 to all of this. Wouldn't even consider getting a shorter range Tesla in this part of the world unless you are only using it for a fixed, short commute.

Long range is best.

Having done many trips between Calgary and Winnipeg now (2017 MS100), including in winter, there’s really no option until the superchargers arrive. At its worst, it turns an ugly 13 hour day into two 15 hour days plus overnight charging in Caronport. I literally follow supercharger.info daily, waiting.

If you slow to 100km/h, and there’s no wind, and it’s above zero so you can crawl under a blanket and go easy on the heat, you can do it in two 9 hour days plus Caronport overnight. Thankfully, most trips fall into this second category.

Long range is best.

Having done many trips between Calgary and Winnipeg now (2017 MS100), including in winter, there’s really no option until the superchargers arrive. At its worst, it turns an ugly 13 hour day into two 15 hour days plus overnight charging in Caronport. I literally follow supercharger.info daily, waiting.

If you slow to 100km/h, and there’s no wind, and it’s above zero so you can crawl under a blanket and go easy on the heat, you can do it in two 9 hour days plus Caronport overnight. Thankfully, most trips fall into this second category.

A little bit easier for me as I started 2 1/2 hours west of you. So only one longish day to Medicine Hat (Hampton Suites charger) then Fort Macleod supercharger the next morning as I wanted to come into the south side of Calgary anyways.
Next big drive is California in February. Superchargers all the way .

Reactions: madmax240

-40 C is the same as -40 F! It’s where they meet . In either case, it’s cold!

I’m in Orlando Florida, having driven down 3 weeks ago. Calgary to Winnipeg was the longest part of the trip, charging time wise. From Winnipeg, there’s a Chademo in Fargo, then superchargers the whole way.
It might have been faster to go via Whitefish? Can your P75D reach there from Fort McLeod in the winter, or would you have had to backtrack into BC and then down through Idaho? Either of those, once you're to Missoula, MT you're SC all the way, right?

It might have been faster to go via Whitefish? Can your P75D reach there from Fort McLeod in the winter, or would you have had to backtrack into BC and then down through Idaho? Either of those, once you're to Missoula, MT you're SC all the way, right?
I was thinking the same thing. I for sure would have gone Calgary to Fort MacLeod and then south into Montana. Could also go straight to Butte rather than Missoula. Just depends on charging options in between and which roads are open this time of year.

I was thinking the same thing. I for sure would have gone Calgary to Fort MacLeod and then south into Montana. Could also go straight to Butte rather than Missoula. Just depends on charging options in between and which roads are open this time of year.
Butte is a pretty big reach with a P75D, which I assume from their avatar pic is what they're driving? I've not personally driven it yet but elevation is uphill going South. There seems to be a few places in plugshare.com to L2 but I'm not sure how reliable those are?

Seems a lot easier headed back North on the return trip, though.

I have a 100d, no P, unfortunately. But I needed to go through Winnipeg to visit family. But yes, straight south would be MUCH faster. That’s how we’re coming home, and we save more than 2 days.