Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for Petro-Canada, we have nothing to judge by. Their pilot site in Milton, ON was completed before they even announced it and did not receive federal funding. Do they own the sites, or will they have to negotiate with franchisees?
2 x 350 kW at each site is a lot of power, so they may have planning and electrical hookup issues.

There’s also a petro Canada in Alberta along highway 2 that’s had a Chademo charger running for years. So I’m hoping...

Is there?

Hmmm. There's a Shell near Red Deer.

But I'm wrong, the PetroCan in Crossfield was actually a J1772. Sucks, I liked my fantasy world better. In that world, there was hope for fast charging between Calgary and Winnipeg. It feels like reality just crushed that dream. UGH...

I will say though, that Crossfield charger has my favorite all time Plugshare comment. From some guy in a Spark EV.

"Charge stop number 4 on route to California from Edmonton".

Seriously, the guy should just walk. Less than 2 hours driving and he's on his 4th charge? Makes me smile for his persistence every time I see it. I wonder if he's there yet?

Kev.

Last edited:
Hmmm. There's a Shell near Red Deer.

But I'm wrong, the PetroCan in Crossfield was actually a J1772. Sucks, I liked my fantasy world better. In that world, there was hope for fast charging between Calgary and Winnipeg. It feels like reality just crushed that dream. UGH...

I will say though, that Crossfield charger has my favorite all time Plugshare comment. From some guy in a Spark EV.

"Charge stop number 4 on route to California from Edmonton".

Seriously, the guy should just walk. Less than 2 hours driving and he's on his 4th charge? Makes me smile for his persistence every time I see it. I wonder if he's there yet?

Kev.
Maybe he's in it for the adventure. I have fun going off the supercharger highway in my Tesla sometimes, although it can be rather labourious.

Reactions: SammichLover
So, who in Saskatchewan will be going out to search for the "under construction" supercharger?

I'll be checking the likely suspects on my way though next month, but surely we have some Swift Current/Regina/Moosomin residents that frequent this site...

Here's to hoping 2019 is finally the year for the prairies!

I will be driving from BC to Manitoba in early April so will be looking for any signs of progress. Here I come Peavey Mart.

Maybe he's in it for the adventure. I have fun going off the supercharger highway in my Tesla sometimes, although it can be rather labourious.

I go off supercharger routes all the time too. But four charges before Calgary would be a charge every 30 minutes. Having driven Calgary to LA several times, he has a LOT of stops ahead, at that rate. I’d guess at least 50, then the same coming back.

I go off supercharger routes all the time too. But four charges before Calgary would be a charge every 30 minutes. Having driven Calgary to LA several times, he has a LOT of stops ahead, at that rate. I’d guess at least 50, then the same coming back.
Sounds like an adventure!

Also there's no guarantee he's going back. He could be moving the car to a winter home or just moving for good.

Good news! Sault-Ste-Marie has gotten a permit for a Supercharger!
Bad news: it's in Sault-Ste-Marie, Michigan

Supercharger - Sault Ste. Marie, MI

So, maybe not the best location for Trans-Canada travellers. There is currently a bit of a debate about it in the thread above, but seen this might affect some Canadians we could also debate it here.

So, maybe not the best location for Trans-Canada travellers. There is currently a bit of a debate about it in the thread above, but seen this might affect some Canadians we could also debate it here.
To be clear, we don't actually know whether they've gotten a building permit for that location yet. The city's permitting isn't publicly listed. We do know that Tesla had mentioned they were working on developing that site at a planning commission meeting for a location in a different city. And we now know that they've acquired the land for the Sault Ste Marie site from Meijer. The two other sites that were also listed as being developed in Michigan at that same meeting are now under construction. And both of those sites also show the same type of land acquisition from Meijer; all property transactions were recorded within a 3 week span in February. So, there's a decent chance that they either have a permit or they soon will, but as I said, we don't know for sure.

As for the Canada vs. US thing, I feel like there's still got to also be a location on the other side of the border. The Trans-Canada plans make it pretty much necessary. The detour itself off the TCH is a bit less than 10 miles, which isn't really too bad. And if it was just a matter of the distance of the driving detour, it could be accepted. But with the amount of time it will take to cross the border twice, paying the bridge tolls twice, needing to carry a passport, and potentially significant border-crossing related hassles (e.g. if the car isn't registered to you or you're traveling with children, etc.), all added on top of the detour itself, IMO that's almost always going to be more hassle than it's worth.

That would be disappointing if there isn't one in Canada, especially since the map clearly shows the SC on the Canada side. But if they are built in Blind River and Batchawana then perhaps SSM isn't needed as they are 208km apart which should be doable, even in winter.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP and mociaf9
I know it has only been a month (shorter in Tesla time) but has anyone figured out what Elon was talking about when he mentioned construction and a Saskatchewan Supercharger at the March 14 Model Y reveal?

The World-Spectator - Moosomin, Saskatchewan, Canada

Looks like permits are approved and plans are complete for a charger in Moosomin, beside the Red Barn Restaurant. Hopefully, they build it fast. It would be awesome if it was there in time for summer.

It's a perfect halfway point between the hotel in Caronport and Winnipeg. With the Chademo in Med Hat basically complete now, that would mean one L3 stop, then overnight at the hotel, then a second L3 stop from Calgary to Winnipeg. It's tight in winter, but likely doable usually. Summer should be no problem.

I presume that this will be built in conjunction with the other SCs in SK, like Wolsley, Regina, Moose Jaw, etc. It looks like the Moosomin is the only one where proof of a permit has been found but I have to think they will all be built around the same time.

Reactions: MarcoRP
The World-Spectator - Moosomin, Saskatchewan, Canada

Looks like permits are approved and plans are complete for a charger in Moosomin, beside the Red Barn Restaurant. Hopefully, they build it fast. It would be awesome if it was there in time for summer.

It's a perfect halfway point between the hotel in Caronport and Winnipeg. With the Chademo in Med Hat basically complete now, that would mean one L3 stop, then overnight at the hotel, then a second L3 stop from Calgary to Winnipeg. It's tight in winter, but likely doable usually. Summer should be no problem.

I was looking at the area around the Red Barn Restaurant; I sure hope they do not put in the superchargers in the parking area of that restaurant as it shows on the supercharge.info site... because those spots will be ICED all the time. Go to google maps and take a look at the "street view" of the restaurant, you will see what I mean. Very bad location, right from the get go. (off Lake Ave).

Much better spot would be the empty lot between the Red Barn Restaurant and the A&W restaurant... Also, Tesla should have a couple of destination chargers installed at that hotel next to the A&W - called the Canalta Hotel. It looks like a pretty awesome hotel and nice place to stay if necessary. surprised they do not have destination chargers already.

Visited the route over Easter. Thought I’d stop by the Petro-Canada and Canadian Tire locations along the way. No signs of construction. Stopped in at Whitewood and the particular mgr didnt know anything about April completion but did say all 50 are supposed to be done by end of Oct... I also called Moosomin’s Red Barn restaurant while out there. No sign of construction that she knows of.

Spoke to a contact at Tesla Vancouver this week and he made some inquiries with someone else who is in the loop re: charging installations. Sounded like there's more of a push for charging options in and around Vancouver at this time. After their conversation, my contact wasn't too optimistic about the likelihood of Superchargers in Medicine Hat or Swift Current being ready by July. Granted, the person he spoke with didn't explicitly say anything either way on the topic - but that was the vibe.

Spoke to a contact at Tesla Vancouver this week and he made some inquiries with someone else who is in the loop re: charging installations. Sounded like there's more of a push for charging options in and around Vancouver at this time. After their conversation, my contact wasn't too optimistic about the likelihood of Superchargers in Medicine Hat or Swift Current being ready by July. Granted, the person he spoke with didn't explicitly say anything either way on the topic - but that was the vibe.
So basically no information :)