Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good spot @Brad_S. I want to believe, but analyzing the pic, I see 8 AC cables; Bear with me.

By looking at a single line diagram from a public permit application for a different site, if this was a supercharger tie-in, it would mean that the utility already installed the switchboard/breaker panel. I’m surprised this would be in their scope but it’s possible I guess. The picture would suggest Brandon is getting 8x supercharger cabinets for 16 charge posts, not 6 posts according to supercharge.info. Is there room for 16 bays? Perhaps the colours mean they’ve run two parallel cables for each circuit rather than one fat cable per but I don’t know if that would be code compliant. If so that would service 4x cabinets for 8 bays.

Next: cable thickness. Each cable should house 3 line conductors, 1 neutral, and a ground. For current gen superchargers, it means ~ 300MCM for the 3 lines and the neutral would mean 4x ~0.5” diameter conductors. The ground should be about the same size. Did those cables look thick enough to you to accommodate such conductors? It looks possible from the pic.

It does look like a fat enough transformer, maybe ~ 1MVA. (There should be a data label on it in case you’re out there again) That would accommodate 8 superchargers (16 posts). Or if the switchboard is integrated, maybe it’s a smaller transformer for 4 superchargers and they double-upped the conductors.

I really hope this is it, but I don’t know how to reconcile the cable count in the pic with the bay count in supercharge.info.

Nice Neil Young reference. Extra points for you.....
Now we need a SC in Saskatoon (Guess Who), and Bobcaygeon and the 100th meridian (Tragically Hip)....

Okay but the Guess Who are from the North End of Winnipeg. No sweat, we need one somewhere in YWG... the alleged permit is at Polo Park.

....I was referencing one of the Guess Who's songs, "Running back to Saskatoon"
Moose Jaw, Broadview, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace, Hanna, Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune

PS: Burton Cummings now lives in Moose Jaw......could use one there too

....I was referencing one of the Guess Who's songs, "Running back to Saskatoon"
Moose Jaw, Broadview, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace, Hanna, Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune

PS: Burton Cummings now lives in Moose Jaw......could use one there too
Ha ha, well touche... but if they're going to all those places, they'll need to charge up in Winnipeg first.
Really we need Superchargers at all those locations. At this point we don't have any.

0C096A6F-3032-41FB-AE3E-ECA01FF0747A.gif

This is fantastic! I suppose it’s probably unlikely to be completed by my end of July road trip but I’m totally thrilled for all the SK owners who’ve been waiting so long.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
View attachment 418645

This is fantastic! I suppose it’s probably unlikely to be completed by my end of July road trip but I’m totally thrilled for all the SK owners who’ve been waiting so long.

Not sure where your target is, ultimately, but there should be Chademo in place in Med Hat by then. I always add just a bit in Swift Current, and then stay overnight at Pilgrim Inn, which leaves me heading for Winnipeg from there with a full charge. I refill it in Carberry or MacGregor, which are the fastest chargers you'll find on your way to Winnipeg (for now). Winnipeg had 2 Chademos running the last time I was there. There's a free one at RRCC, but it seems to usually be down. PoloPark has a paid one which has been up reliably. Next, there's a Chademo in Kenora.

Actually, scratch that. You're in a 3, so no Chademo. Add a bit in Med Hat at the Hampton Inn so you can reach Swift Current. Add what you need at Superior Tech in Swift so you can reach Pilgrim Inn for the night. The rest of the trip is the same, but in Winnipeg, change it at a Tesla charger rather than a Chademo. There are LOTS of options. Kenora has a J1772 that's fast too. Hope that helps, it's pretty close to the same trip plan.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kira
Actually, scratch that. You're in a 3, so no Chademo. Add a bit in Med Hat at the Hampton Inn so you can reach Swift Current. Add what you need at Superior Tech in Swift so you can reach Pilgrim Inn for the night. The rest of the trip is the same, but in Winnipeg, change it at a Tesla charger rather than a Chademo. There are LOTS of options. Kenora has a J1772 that's fast too. Hope that helps, it's pretty close to the same trip plan.

Thanks - that's a great plan for me to go with! Still trying to gauge my West Coast-raised children's level of enthusiasm (or at least acceptance) about the prospect of heading to Saskatchewan in late July. ;)

Tip from LloydBrokelt. The Maple Creek Supercharger is under construction at the Coop gas station. 1 MW Tesla transformer was installed last week.

Address: 14 Pacific Avenue, Maple Creek, SK S0N 1N0.

If it's 1 MW (1,000 kVA) and 6 stalls, it'll be a V3 location. It looks like most of the chargers along the TCH will be V3.

Please start a new thread for Maple Creek, SK and tag @Chuq.

Tip from LloydBrokelt. The Maple Creek Supercharger is under construction at the Coop gas station. 1 MW Tesla transformer was installed last week.

Address: 14 Pacific Avenue, Maple Creek, SK S0N 1N0.
Can confirm a 1000kw transformer in maple creek On the Co-op Property

Good spot @Brad_S. I want to believe, but analyzing the pic, I see 8 AC cables; Bear with me.

By looking at a single line diagram from a public permit application for a different site, if this was a supercharger tie-in, it would mean that the utility already installed the switchboard/breaker panel. I’m surprised this would be in their scope but it’s possible I guess. The picture would suggest Brandon is getting 8x supercharger cabinets for 16 charge posts, not 6 posts according to supercharge.info. Is there room for 16 bays? Perhaps the colours mean they’ve run two parallel cables for each circuit rather than one fat cable per but I don’t know if that would be code compliant. If so that would service 4x cabinets for 8 bays.

Next: cable thickness. Each cable should house 3 line conductors, 1 neutral, and a ground. For current gen superchargers, it means ~ 300MCM for the 3 lines and the neutral would mean 4x ~0.5” diameter conductors. The ground should be about the same size. Did those cables look thick enough to you to accommodate such conductors? It looks possible from the pic.

It does look like a fat enough transformer, maybe ~ 1MVA. (There should be a data label on it in case you’re out there again) That would accommodate 8 superchargers (16 posts). Or if the switchboard is integrated, maybe it’s a smaller transformer for 4 superchargers and they double-upped the conductors.

I really hope this is it, but I don’t know how to reconcile the cable count in the pic with the bay count in supercharge.info.

I don't know why there would be a neutral. Three phase to the DC inverter would not require a neutral.