Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid life crisis??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I was in your shoes about a month ago (pretty much everything except I guess this is an "early" life crisis, and only 1 of my 2 kids can even speak), and I ordered quickly thereafter. So you might as well go ahead and get it over with and get a few slots closer in line as far as production goes!

I test drove the P85D and wound up ordering the 85D. It just depends on your personality. I initially thought I wouldn't be happy if I got anything less than the top the of the line, but with the availability with next gen seats and greater range, I couldn't justify the extra $18 or so grand for the performance edition. I knew I would hardly use it to its fullest extent.

Anyway, welcome to the world of Tesla! Now onward to consume as much Tesla Information as you can possibly imagine.

The rep we talked to said there's some great deals on slightly used demos, in fact the P85D they had there was marked down $11,000 and still qualified for all the incentives. I checked Autotrader too just out of curiosity and there are a couple not too far but none set up how I'd want. Plus they're not any less expensive if you consider the tax incentives. There is a 2013 in a really cool brown color I wish they still offered though!

Hey, don't laugh at my XM question :) I've had mine for years and rarely listen to FM radio. I never got into Internet radio but that would be a good substitute for the XM for me so I don't think the upgraded sound system would be necessary.

Hey, what do you think of your Audi? We have my dads Audi A6 right now and will be driving it from California to Florida for him in a few weeks. I cannot get used to their stereo controls and AC controls! I've never driven a German car and dang is it different! I feel like a moron trying to figure everything out!

Just to clarify, there are two different "internet radio" options in the Tesla if you don't get XM. There is Tunein which basically broadcasts all HD ratio stations in the world (or close enough) and then there is Slacker Radio. Slacker is like Pandora with the added benefit of being able to play a requested song.

I ordered my S85 last June; my only regret is having been a month or two early for acc, auto-pilot, and next gen seats. I have the pano for headroom as I like to wear a fedora. I have the audio upgrade as I like to listen to "Sacre du Printemps" or "Miraculous Mandarin" at volume 11 while rolling, or just maybe late Beethoven or Schubert quartets and sonatas. I do find the fabric seats a little hard on my boney ass after an hour. I do have a very narrow garage door and driveway with a bend and would welcome the self-parking which is coming "soon". The only person I have ever known who drove a 'vette put it away in the winter time because of poor handling and the fiber glass body. The only sport cars I have ever owned were a '56 XK140 Jag and a '56 Alfa Spider; the MS smokes them both. In my case this was a late life crisis; my wife and then daughter can enjoy it when I no longer can. Even the M60 which I took my first test drive on was the quickest car (or motorcycle ['38 Guzzi GTV, '64 Velocette Thruxton]) I've ever driven; more power than I would ever use now. I got the 85 for increased range and supercharger access. Have fun in your struggle with the Tesla bug.

I knew the Pano Roof is a must for XM, but I thought even the standard audio would get XM accessibility? I guess I will have to do without XM as I was not planning on getting the upgraded audio and perhaps doing an aftermarket subwoofer instead.

We let our XM subscription drop after getting our S. With Slacker there was really no need to pay for the service. We keep a small USB drive with MP3's plugged in for those very rare occasions when we don't have 3G signal to support Slacker.

Well apparently the Tesla bug is contagious, my brother and sister-in-law are going for a test drive with us on Thursday afternoon! I'm only turning 40 next month so its probably the first of many "mid life crisis" moments :) Red is my second choice color so maybe its not truly a mid-life crisis purchase!

So far my optimal build would be an 85D in grey metallic, pano roof, 19" wheels, black textile interior, not sure which dash trim I prefer, the black textile headliner and the tech package for sure. That has me at $88,500 after incentives.

my optimal build would be an 85D in grey metallic, pano roof, 19" wheels, black textile interior, not sure which dash trim I prefer, the black textile headliner and the tech package for sure.
Very sensible build, but there is no "black textile headliner" that I am aware of. There is the standard beige textile, and "white" alcantara (though it looks light beige to me) or black alcantara.

We received our model S on Wednesday. I usually have buyer's remorse at this point but not with this car. It is in fact better then I perceived after 4 test drives. I'm starting to believe it is about the best car in the world. We had a 85D on order but switched to a P85 inventory car when we found it was $15k off. We put about 400 miles on this weekend and went over 3 mountain passes. We averaged the rated range (a little better) and found it charges to 272 miles. Both days we arrived home with plenty of range. It really is amazing how far it goes on a charge. The acceleration is great. The coil suspension is sporty, it feels equal to or better then my previous Porsche 911(non s). Textile seats, coil suspension, pano sunroof, autopilot,.. very happy.

Last edited:
We received our model S on Wednesday. I usually have buyer's remorse at this point but not with this car. It is in fact better then I perceived after 4 test drives. I'm starting to believe it is about the best car in the world. We had a 85D on order but switched to a P85 inventory car when we found it was $15k off. We put about 400 miles on this weekend and went over 3 mountain passes. We averaged the rated range (a little better) and found it charges to 272 miles. Both days we arrived home with plenty of range. It really is amazing how far it goes on a charge. The acceleration is great. The coil suspension is sporty, it feels equal to or better then my previous Porsche 911(non s). Textile seats, coil suspension, pano sunroof, autopilot,.. very happy.

Good to hear about the coil suspension. Coil vs. air is one of my concerns. I would be using 19 wheels as well, and I've heard from others that the 19"s won't have much of a difference using air. My main concern is for curbs of driveways and parking lots.

Good to hear about the coil suspension. Coil vs. air is one of my concerns. I would be using 19 wheels as well, and I've heard from others that the 19"s won't have much of a difference using air. My main concern is for curbs of driveways and parking lots.

I forgot to mention it is 19's. Also I've noticed that at least with our curbs here at work the front lip clears them. The standard coil suspension sits higher the the air suspension on "normal" mode.