Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-October Cross County Drive - 21" summers or 20" winters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am driving cross country in mid-October, Mid-Atlantic to Pacific Northwest. Tesla mapping sends me up past Chicago, into South Dakota, then through Montana and Idaho.

Any insight on whether I should use my OEM 21" turbines or my winter set?

One consideration would be weather, I welcome any input as to whether it's plain dumb to drive on summer's via this route in mid-October, but my hope is I totally avoid any winter related weather.

The other consideration, which I am not clear on at all, is the range impact of 21" + summer vs. 21" + winter. Quick googling tells me:

Stock 21s (staggered)
Wheels: 29.8lb / 38lb
Tires 28lb / 31lb
Total: 57.8lb / 69lb

Non-OEM 20s (square)
Wheels: 32.8lb
Tires: 27lbs (Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3)
Total: 59.8lb

So all in the winter's are a bit lighter, but I have no idea what the impact of rolling resistance is, but assume that the winter's (softer compound) probably use more energy???

TIA!

PS. pls pray I get v9 with AP on nav for the trip!!! :)

I think I’d take the winter tires. You’ll almost certainly see some snow in the mountains. Hopefully not a lot, but it’s better to be prepared.

Definitely the winters for the weather safety aspect alone. You have a good chance of encountering tough weather, and the winters will perform much much better when the temperature drops - even if it’s bone dry.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I am very pleased I took your advice and put the winter setup on!!!
992C0E1F-D424-4A16-BCEA-01FCF7AD9B19.jpeg

Coincidentally, I just did that route in reverse a week ago. I picked up a Model S in Seattle and drove it to Virginia. It snowed pretty much all the way from Montana to South Dakota. No issues with it all, besides not getting to try out Autopilot for a while. Only place we didn’t care for on the trip was Chicago. We got in at like 3AM and none of the superchargers were open. Despite saying 24hours on them, they are all in parking garages that were closed at that time. Luckily we made it to one just outside the city with 6 miles to spare. Other than that, beautiful drive. The Rockies are amazing covered in snow.