Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid range battery available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I meant all the ones currently offered... MR is not anything new, it's literally the LR RWD with fewer cells. (therefore 48A charger)
Has there been any positive confirmation or specs listed somewhere stating this, regarding the OBC?

Onboard Charger hasn't yet been updated to reflect the MR and I quickly looked around for Specs on the MR and it doesn't specify max amperage of its OBC.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I am more concerned with the fact that the full self driving option is not available for new buyers. I know there is speculation that it will come back, however, it does concern me that they would not keep with their mission and objectives. Not having it on the website, implies they are not obligated to fulfill to that promise, like they have to with the folks who bought the car with that option available.

For many places [and uses] in Europe, I can see a 400+ km EV hitting the right spot of sufficient or even ample range without overpaying for nearly never used capacity.

Of course, a station wagon variant would lead to thrice as many people lining up, eager to part with their Euros, Pounds, or Francs [and Krona and Złotys et al].

I am more concerned with the fact that the full self driving option is not available for new buyers. I know there is speculation that it will come back, however, it does concern me that they would not keep with their mission and objectives. Not having it on the website, implies they are not obligated to fulfill to that promise, like they have to with the folks who bought the car with that option available.

I'm actually glad Tesla finally took this - in my opinion - overdue step. Not everyone wants that capability, and Tesla needs to take cost out of the car to broaden the customer base while controlling its margins.

Reactions: austinmichaeld
I'd keep the LR RWD. Never have too much range.

If you're into white, it looks great, that may be a motivator. But I have never ever regretting getting the S100D over the smaller battery.

I agree, I am very happy with my RWD LR, especially if daily use only charging to 90 percent max. I just took a big road trip and was happy to have the extra range even though I stopped a lot more often than I needed to based on the battery. This will be the first winter for me, so I will see how that goes range wise as well.

Reactions: suwaneedad
It’s interesting Tesla lists the MR battery range at 260 miles (EPA est.), while the LR AWD and Performance do not list EPA.

It makes you wonder what the “real world range” of the MR 3 is. If you consider the LR RWD 3 has an EPA est. range of 334 miles, but Tesla reduced it by ~7%, the real world range of the MR 3 is more like 242 miles.

Those of you having some level of buyer’s remorse about purchasing a LR RWD 3 should be looking at it that way, for a better apples-to-apples range comparison.

LR RWD 3 = 334 epa vs. MR RWD = 260 epa
LR RWD 3 = 310 real world vs. MR 3 = 242

Elon said already it wasn’t software limited. Also the weight is different between 3MR and 3LR.

So no. You are wrong but I’m sure you were glad to be proven wrong. :)

@mattjs33 - forget used LR - this is your car.

He could be right in a sense, as I was right. Tesla may be making a MR battery with fewer cells, but to move the RWD LR cars they have sitting around, and increase delivery numbers and profits, they can also software lock the RWD LR cars down to MR specs.

And here is PROOF OF A SOFTWARE LOCK - the 0-60 times and top speed. I believe the SR battery was listed as 5.6 seconds and 130 mph, compared to the LR 5.1 seconds and 140 mph. So why would the MR, with its more powerful battery, be slowed down to the same 5.6 of the SR? It should be around 5.4 or so. And why can the SR get up to 130 and the MR only wheezes up to 125? SOFTWARE LOCK!!!

This is Tesla saying "Fine, all you cheap asses who won't spring for the extra cost of a LR RWD. So here... we'll throttle it down to less impressive specs and give it to you a bit cheaper, how about that? Will you SR-only people quit whining and meet us halfway on this? We've got corporate profits to think about here!!!".

Last edited:
Has there been any positive confirmation or specs listed somewhere stating this, regarding the OBC?

Onboard Charger hasn't yet been updated to reflect the MR and I quickly looked around for Specs on the MR and it doesn't specify max amperage of its OBC.

It hasn't been confirmed, but the standard battery is a different architecture and that's not done yet and won't be until February. Remember that the charger is built into the pack itself (iirc), so if they are using the same pack with fewer cells, it should be the exact same 48 A charger.

It also likely means quite lower profit margins since they are slashing price by $5,000 and 16 kw of battery probably only saves them $2,000 at production.
Timing is impeccable. Tesla Energy solar sales dip during the fall & winter and rooftop installations slow with weather delays in North America. Increased supply of battery cells can be directed to Powerwall which has been deprived purposely for Model 3 production. Tesla increased total installed cost for 2 Powerwalls recently which is $3000 ever since introduction. Smart move by Tesla.

Last edited:
Not just claimed -- FACT.
It is just that the EPA is a benchmark that is only repeatable under the same conditions. Just like any other "real world" result.

It is true that in identical conditions but at higher speeds than EPA testing the Model 3 out-performs the Model S due to a lower CdA. Not by a lot though, and in the "real world" driver behavior is typically the major difference.

It is true that in identical conditions but at higher speeds than EPA testing the Model 3 out-performs the Model S due to a lower CdA.
That's the FACT in question. On top of that if you're dealing with hills you've got about 400kg less mass to worry about (in case of a very large hill late in your range or just a net rise in elevation).

And when you take that and turn it into overall trip travel time, it also makes the Model 3 marginally faster in spite of it's smaller battery.

The Model 3 LR RWD is simply slightly better ranged vehicle in practical terms, EPA numbers notwithstanding.

Last edited: